Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

You can really see the disgust on his face in this picture. He's clearly seeing another Mandolin player using a capo.

2. Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

I was watching an old interview with William Smith Monroe last night and I thought that his mutton chops Mae him look kinda freaky. Also, I heard he had a very bad temper and would yell at everyone...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Good bye Chick

i saw him a couple of times but never with this ensemble. The album, though, really turned me into a Chick Corea, Mike Brecker, Eddie Gomez, and Steve Gadd fan. I wore out 2 vinyls and still listen...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do people only sell the great ones?

Ha ha! I am ADDICTED to looking at the Cafe classifieds. It’s the highlight of my day. I only allow myself to do it once with my morning coffee, and once after supper, or I’d probably have to join a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's Loars

Lots of info on this subject in the interview we did with Chris in 2012: Chris Thile in London Interview.

Picture below: the photo that came with the mandolin when Chris bought it that had no name...
  6. Re: Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

Someone should coin a term (like Godwin’s law, etc.) for when Thile gets mentioned and all hell breaks loose after.
  7. Re: Seller’s Remorse - 2008 custom Weber Fern

I just sent you the data on it including the only two people who replied to your ad. Interestingly, only 390 total ads in the Classifieds in early 2010.
  8. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Flatiron: setting the record straight and a bit of context:

I primarily agree with the prior posts here which emphasize the untenable act of forging the 'Gibson' name and passing off forgeries and...
  9. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

So how long before Gibson goes after Epiphone? ;)
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario Strings - Ask Us Anything

What date is your Loar-signed F-5?
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gibson Bill Monroe Hall Of Fame Model?

The labels are authentic and actually signed by Bill Monroe, not a photo copy.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's new pick

There comes a time in threads like these where I feel compelled to point out that Thile thinks long and hard about things like picks, strings, instruments, microphones and how to use them to make...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's new pick

He really milks the tone with a Casein pick.

Jamie
  14. Re: Working the mic versus installing pickups and clamping mics

It just seems to me that while it is irrefutable that many want more volume, consistency, control or whatever, the bluegrass and old time music we love and are inspired by was about taking a hunk of...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: D’Addario Exp74 misleading advertising

Don from D'Addario here - Our Mandolin packaging was recently updated to include points. So out in the marketplace, it will take some time to for all the old packaging to work their way thru. If you...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: First post.. expensive mistake.

My first MT-level mandolin was a Silverangel Econo that's an excellent mandolin, but it also has a fairly pronounced V neck with a 1 and 1/8 inch nut and larger frets. It took me some time to get...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: First post.. expensive mistake.

Neck size and neck profile is very much a personal preference on any string instrument. Different strokes for different folks. You state that you prefer a smaller profile guitar neck. But some people...
  18. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

Lots of people have strong opinions about it. Difference is, most have the decency to not be out here drumming it in public every day, year after year every single time the subject arises, after...
  19. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

Grumping online at organizations and people you don't know from across the pond and will likely never meet won't achieve anything. Unless you join and vote--which means you'd have to open your...
  20. Re: Two of the great living mandolinists today: Sam B. And Chris

Obviously you dont know Telluride. It is exactly not for people like you - and believe me they are doing fine ;)
  21. Re: Two of the great living mandolinists today: Sam B. And Chris

You should start a change.org petition and collect signatures for your suggestion that Sam Bush be excluded from the Telluride Festival. Maybe he is what has been holding the event back for the past...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Expensive mandolins

Life is short; Eat off the good china, never buy cheap whiskey, and play a Gibson F5L. :mandosmiley: When you die, they shovel dirt in your face and sell your stuff at a garage sale.....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Help dating this Kay Mandolin

Flowers might help.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you think this mandola has top sink?

"Gibson didn't brace the H1s and H2s for the long haul . . ."

Well, maybe yes and maybe no, but the most frequent causes of top sinkage on these old mandolas [and mandolins] is:
    1. The...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid jamming

The voices told me to stay home and sharpen my knives.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4