Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

That's a very interesting comment about Art, given that everything that's made is a form of human expression. The hierarchy of 'utility' versus 'ART' seems challenged by better machines. And many...
  2. Replies
    Views

Batwing from a bat cave

On SGW. Because it will doubtless bit up too far, no interest, but I know there are fans here of the genre. This one spent time in some environment so foul that the finish, down to bare wood, peeled....
  3. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

AI transport is woodshedding on autopilot.
    You slide into a beautiful aluminium box in New York with your mandolin and a subscription to the AI mandolin school and by the time you’ve reached San...
  4. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

My nightmare of sitting at the wheel and having it wrestled from my hands by AI became true in a rented VW Golf with so-called "lane assist". The thing tried to steer me into oncoming traffic on a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Orpheum B/Strad-O-lin 1950s

Economo. Rhymes with Geronimo.
  6. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

That would explain why Keith Richard’s has been alive for centuries.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

It baffles me that so many people are so attached, emotionally or otherwise, to this thing, Gibson, that has so little impact on their life.
  8. Replies
    Views

Trailer for Ger Mandolin Orchestra 2024

Just came across this impressive video, with Mike Marshall playing and directing the orchestra. I assume that they're on tour elsewhere. Other videos have women, including, I believe, Caterina...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Boroscope or Endoscope

Mine is an endoscope. Uses bluetooth to connect to a pad or phone; requires charging (permanent LI battery). It came with a 25' cable which of course is way too long, but it works fine as long as I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Big news from Gibson!

I'd get one just for the day pass!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: My dad's fern mandolin

I think you're right, and that's why it is so very sad that it ended up in a flea market for $20.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this Mandolin any good?

There were 200 USAAF airfields in the UK in WW2 and many were in Lincolnshire, so I would reckon your mandolin was brought over by someone in the military at that time. I have a 1942 made Harmony...
  13. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

FWIW The Music Emporium currently has a sunburst Eastman 815/v on the wall. I’ve played three Eastman 815/v mandolins. One was awesome, one was just OK, and one was a flat dud. I’m interested is...
  14. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

Just speaking generally we live in a golden age of instrument manufacturing so there’s a very good chance that a cheap instrument would sound great. I have a few of them.
  15. Re: Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

Jeff, remember that there is a good chance that the dust is comparatively new. ;) Dirt, dust and goop are certainly not part of the original Gibson/Loar concept. Do they belong more in the "aging" or...
  16. Re: The downside list of Upside Down tuning machines

To me, "over/under" is much more obvious because I think of "upside down" tuners as (e.g.) worm-over tuners installed in a location designed worm-under ones, i.e., so the turning of the keys goes...
  17. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

This old Duff aint bad

18. Replies
    Views

How to pack an instrument for shipping

Tony Williamson put this video together for a seller who had no experience shipping a valuable instrument. We thought it was well done and had great information that it should be available to all for...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Nashville Visit Advice

My son and I went last Friday and it’s better than ever. I got to play a Dudenbostel and a couple other super nice (and super expensive) mandos. Sales guy found me room so I could demo an F5G(I must...
  20. Thread: Aged-tone?

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Wood will always gets to EMC which depends on RH of air around it. Thermally processed wood has slightly lower EMC and has generally better dimensional stability which was the main argument for doing...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Duff engraving probably Machine ?

This TP is from my 2002 Duff H-5 mandola. They look very similar to my eyes (especially in person, mine has much more chrome plating). It is beautiful engraving for sure, I would guess...
  22. Replies
    Views

Well, if Collings believes in using torrefied tops, then I have to believe that there is something to it. I have heard from a reliable, knowledgeable guitar player who has played hundreds of guitars...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Armstrong Strad-O-Lin on eBay?

It has been on ebay for several years. Has a fair amount of damage under the tailpiece.
  24. Thread: Buzzy note

by Chris Pile
    Replies
    Views

Re: Buzzy note

Change the string first. It's the cheapest thing on the instrument.
  25. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Dan in NH
    Replies
    Views

In this case the term specifically refers to wood that has been kiln dried i.e. torrefied. It is a term used by Bourgeois for their torrefied products.

It is purely a marketing term so they don't...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4