Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Chords to notes? How?

Learn the whole fretboard and this will no longer be an issue. It really sounds like you're asking for a quick workaround to avoid having to do this, but any workaround will continue to limit you as...
  2. Re: Loar 520E, Kentucky 630, Loar 590E or Eastman 315

First, you have my sympathy... I'd hate to be in a position where I had to mail-order an acoustic instrument and couldn't try it out first. There are always little differences between one instrument...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson snakehead Jrs vs other snakeheads

Yeah, that last acknowledgement is the problem. Everyone's opinions will be different because they're all extrapolating from different data.

Someone once said (I read it here on MandoCafe, so it...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on how to learn sheet music?

This is something you learn by doing. The more you try to sight-read, the better you'll get at it. The goal, ultimately, is not to read notes one at a time and play them, but to see whole chords and...
  5. Thread: Best Armrest

by Craig D.
    Replies
    Views

Re: Best Armrest

The only mandolin armrest I've used is the one from Cumberland Acoustics, and I'm happy with it. Installation was simple; it protects my '23 A-jr from my arm rubbing against it; and I don't find it...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Andrew Marlin's Pick

It's not just the thickness of the pick, it's the material and the shape as well. A 3mm Dunlop Big Stubby made of nylon sounds different than the same pick made of lexan (Dunlop makes both). And...
  7. Re: Where does the strap go on a Strad-o-lin (no end button)?

My Gibson A-jr doesn't have a strap button either, so I just play sitting down. I actually prefer that anyway, since sitting makes it easier to not rest the back of the instrument against my torso...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Andrew Marlin's Pick

Interesting thoughts. My own experience has taught me that lack of pointiness actually makes for smoother tremolo. A thick, stuff, rounded, beveled pick like a Wegen M250 makes fast, controlled...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: A New Pick For Slick?

There's nothing wrong with using any pick you like. The Fenders are fine, but Dunlop Primetone and Big Stubby are also quite nice. And there's always Wegen if you feel like splurging; I like the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Round core mandolin strings?

This thread seems incredibly confused. The OP asked about "round-core" strings but most of the responses talk about flatwound strings. Isn't the shape of the core separate from the type of winding...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A Oval Tuning Machines

I have those tuners from Stewmac on my 1923 A-Jr. They work well and look right. I still have the original tuners in the case, but they don't work too well anymore.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar-period A-Jrs.

Hi, folks. I'm new here. Funny to see this topic coming up just now, as I too just bought my first vintage Gibson mandolin (replacing a Kentucky 630), and it is also a Loar-era snakehead A Jr. The...