Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Thinking I might have to do a speed neck

I just did a speed neck for the first time on my travel mandolin and it came out very well and is easier to play. I just used masking tape to mark the area, then used a safety razor to draw a light...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gretsch "Artist" Mandolin

It so happens that I have an identical Gretsh Artist mandolin, given to me by my grandfather during the sixties. He got it from a photo job somewhere in the West End of Boston at a music trade show...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you memorize tunes?

My new faster way is to listen to a version I like,
    Play along to that version,
    Do the same reading the sheet music,
    Record myself playing along with the dots at full speed.
    Then play along to my...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Inside Form Removal

On the inside mold, I have notches cut. I only use a small spot of hide glue in the middle of the block. Then with lite pressure, use a small, slightly tapered wedge in the slot to pop the...
  5. Re: Who keeps a mandolin at their away-from-home office?

I have my office at home. My mandolins are there right beside me in case I need a break from work.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin for a New Player

There are lots of well qualified people on this forum who give great advise. My advise is to find yourself a qualified mandolin teacher who will instill the proper fundamentals. It is so very easy...
  7. Re: Which music shops to visit - Atlanta and Nashville?

Cotton Music does seem to have a bit fewer mandolins than usual.
    Even so, they have a couple of Nuggets, an Altman, a Givens, some Collings and Northfields.
    But, I would go to see the brand new,...
  8. Re: On my way from PA to Atlanta - picks left at home

I have been liking the Dunlop 208 lately it is thick and guitar center may have it, but Maple street guitars would work as Marty says plus they have Collings mandolin, and eastman always nice to play...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Origin and significance of "The"

"The The" was also the name of a new wave band fronted by Matt Johnson. He did a great tribute album to Hank Williams which brought punk and country together. Truly an original!
  10. Re: Looking at your hands while playing -- opinions?

I agree that there is no rule that says you can't look at your hand. It's inconvenient to always be dependent on it, though. Your hand can learn to find the notes. Practicing while standing helped...
  11. Thread: MAS related

by Jackgaryk
    Replies
    Views

Re: MAS related

Thanks for your service Ddd. Haven't heard of 'Operation Happy Note". What a great idea. Looks like you are getting some good advice here....Good luck on your search.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Replace Broken Mandolin Top Plate

An animal based glue will come (relatively) apart easily once the fingerboard ext. block, fingerboard, binding etc. is removed. A lot of violin repair guys use a fine syringe filled with denatured...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Question on sanding

Yep, final sanding is pretty dang important to get a great looking color and finish. Make sure you have good lighting; look at it in sunlight here and there. If you have a real annoying little spot...
  14. Thread: Clean F holes

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Clean F holes

Air in the aperture(s) of a stringed instrument sort of moves in and out when the instrument is being played. If you picture a vibration of the air in the hole(s), that's more or less what happens....
  15. Replies
    Views

Overcome by MAS

Spent a bunch of time playing the following since I was intending to upgrade. The were Gibson F9, Gibson F5G, Daley standard, Northfield F5S, Northfield F5S Limited( like the other F5S with solid...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting, if rough, homemade Mandola

I like those tiny little f holes in the upper bout and the proportionally round fundament. Looks like a hybrid between a mandolute, a guitar and a wappenform. Also my aunt.

That back looks more...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: useful smart phone apps?

One great function on my iPhone - the "Do not Disturb" function. I put that on before the jam and pick up any messages afterwards. Wonderful.
  18. Re: Current price for a 1924 Gibson A-Jr Snakehead?

Basically agree with Jim (as usual), but:

Snakehead A-Jr. at Mandolin Bros., $1804

Similar one at The Parlor in Knoxville TN, $1900

-- At some point, prices got away from me, 'cause I'd...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Celluloid Binding Supplier

Thanks. I just sent a small order to Bryan England too. A little disconcerting, I saw no mention of shipping charge. They do reveal the length of a strip is 52 inches, shorter than the lengths of...