Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: 1923 A2- To Drill Or Not to Drill? That is the question...

Would it be the end of the world to just forget about putting the pick guard on?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-5

Ya know, I've never had much luck with on-line dating...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson oval hole

Just a quick update on this, a little over 8 months later: A month ago I bought a mid-1930s Kalamazoo KM-11 flat top, which I thought would be the closest I got for a while to a teens or twenties...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Weighty Question

Actually, I'm afraid that your recollection of these experiments is not quite right. Yes, some of the very same brain areas 'light up' in fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) studies where...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Weighty Question

Ah, the madness of human perception! We manage to fool ourselves all the time, and that's a fact. If you happen to believe that something will change the tone of your instrument, then it absolutely,...
  6. Re: Where does the strap go on a Strad-o-lin (no end button)?

Take a look at this thread, two options.
  7. 1923 Gibson Mandolin Production Estimate - By Model

To the best of my knowledge there are no surviving Gibson factory documents with production totals for the year 1923. I have produced the following estimated production, using my own private serial...
  8. Re: How Many Loar Era A style mandolins were made of each kind?

To the best of my knowledge there are no surviving Gibson factory documents with production totals for the year 1923.

However, I estimate that Gibson produced about 3,000 instruments with serial...
  9. Forty progressive studies for the mandoline, Op. 50 - G Hucke

I recently acquired a copy of "Forty progressive studies for the mandoline, Op. 50" by George H Hucke from the BMG collection. As I hadn't seen a copy available I have scanned it and uploaded it...
  10. Thread: Gibson Year Date

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Year Date

That number could also have been used in 1974 or 75, which was during Gibson's worst period.

If it's an F-5 and has dots in the fingerboard, it was made in the '60's. If it has fancy fingerboard...
  11. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

:mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley:

I'm pleased to announce my investigation about the first American-made mandolin.
    Thanks to the enormous support from many friends and a tremendous amount...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A50, odd neck

So, I couldn't keep quiet. I have to come back to that comment that this mandolin has clearly been tarted up to within an inch of its life. I really do consider that a slur on my workmanship....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A50, odd neck

Thank you Peter (Cobalt) for drawing my attention to this thread - I hadn't spotted it.

I will do my best to satisfy everyone's curiosity, but first I must make it clear that I do have a financial...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: What's In Your Mind

When learning, whether a passage in a tune or a technique alone, you of course pay attention to the aspects you are working on. This could be technical or timing/phrasing. The eventual goal is to...
  15. Re: Help! I can't hear the beat when I play a break

Pick-up notes and lead-in notes are the same thing.
    Grace-notes (sometimes referred to as Slip-notes) have absolutely no connection to the subject at hand.
    To get an idea as to what a grace (slip)...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson oval hole

You bring up an oft overlooked fact regarding the sound of certain models. I speak in terms of side height without the top and back. Oval hole A-models are 1-1/2" tall, whereas the F-models...
  17. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

I've been thinking about the whole "doesn't sound like a mandolin to me" idea. I've been amused when, on occasion, some member here on the Cafe has argued that only sound characteristics like the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Round core mandolin strings?

I think this idea is just a bit mistaken (sorry). See the diagram below. To have the same mass-per-unit-length, and therefore to have the same tension when brought up to pitch, a hex core needs to be...
  19. Thread: Beware EVOs

by dang
    Replies
    Views

Re: Beware EVOs

You start a thread with a strongly worded title, offer up a cautionary tale with little or no logical explanation - and you categorize people that have other experiences as emotional? Perhaps your...
  20. Thread: string gauges

by Ray(T)
    Replies
    Views

Re: string gauges

I use J74s on my ‘14 Gibson A without any problem. Their necks are shorter and beefier.

I suspect that strings back in the teens and twenties were heavier anyway and people didn’t agonise over...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Back to f-holes?

Nah, just honored to have contributed a useful (IMHO, anyway) phrase and concept to our ongoing discussions of "what mandolin should I buy?"

For those unfamiliar, I was reacting to the threads...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Round core mandolin strings?

I’m confused. Are we talking about flatwound strings?

Most wound strings use a round core. Hex core is the exception, usually advertised.

There are several makers of flatwound strings, with...
  23. Re: Anyone know of a website or app that will display all chord n

I made an webapp a while back that does what I think you're asking:
    chords.cc
    Also if you have any suggestions for improvements I'd be happy to consider them...
    Cheers,
    Jerry
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Who goes on Mandolin Mount Rushmore?

Nobody, I would leave the mountain in its natural state and ride my fat bike there with a mandolin slung over my shoulder and have a picnic and play old-time music once I get to the summit.