Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bickford Mandocello Method

Howdy, I posted this in the Goichberg thread, but for anyone who may search up this thread in the future, here's a Dropbox link containing both the Bickford and Goichberg Vol. 1
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Goichberg mandocello studies

Hello everyone, I've managed to get my hands on both the Bickford and Goichberg Vol. 1. Here's a Dropbox link for your enjoyment. If this post runs afoul of any copyright restrictions, please feel...
  3. Re: Real talk: Are the C strings in the J78 packs dead?

Dogal's nomenclature for the Calace line is actually quite straightforward, and will help you understand their product line a lot better. "HR" is "half-round", "RW" is "round-wound", "A" denotes an...
  4. Re: Real talk: Are the C strings in the J78 packs dead?

Just wanted to follow up on this.

I just strung up the old Pomeroy with some Dogal Calace strings. I have to say, it has made ALL the difference in the world. Once again, I mean not to disparage...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Don't be so quick to declare hopelessness! These are fearful times, but nothing is set in stone for you just yet. If there's a financial need to sell your gear, do it without question. But, it seems...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Archtops

Beautiful indeed. Wouldn't baulk too hard at the Chinese manufacturer. In the orchestral world, higher-end Chinese violins, violas, and cellos draw regular praise for being on par with Western...
  7. Re: Real talk: Are the C strings in the J78 packs dead?

Careful, importing high-grade mandocello strings is likely to catch the attention of musicians within the NSA, TSA, and ATF as well.

Edit: Also, please do report back any sonic differences you...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Original music for SOLO Mandocello

Doc James,

Thank you for following through on this. I've downloaded everything, and have sightread through a fair bit of it. One quick question: what do slurs imply? Do they speak purely to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: My New Pro Level F5 for $300

Me, after posting a new thread.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: I think My A has fit in... :)

Is there a specific nomenclature to differentiate those pointed florentine Gibsons from regular F-styles? Lovely family ya got there, btw!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Quick, someone - stop me!

Buy the concertina for your wife. Both problems solved.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Terrified of the tension on my strings

As a teacher of many years, I actually get the fear people have of strings. When you tighten them up, you really do get a strong "visualization" of the mounting tension as you hear the pitch wind up....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Fixing a faulty Cedar Creek case?

I appreciate this post on both counts. Suffice it to say, at this point the best way forward is indeed to pull the mounting block out and shorten it. I actually managed to pull the hygrometer itself...
  14. Re: Played a Northfield Octave and Collings Mandocello today

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello tuned as octave?

$0.02: My 25" mandocello has 5 courses, including E's on top. I use standard D'Addario EJ-78's, plus a pair of plain steel 12's on top. No funny gauges necessary, at least for me.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Goichberg mandocello studies

That is a noble pursuit. I look forward to November!
  17. Re: So who makes armrests besides McClung and Cumberland?

I've got a pretty good handle on not overtightening violin-style hardware, considering how much time I've spent handling, teaching, and playing fiddles. I guess I won't worry too much about what I'm...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Pomeroy Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"

Well, the instrument has been in my hands for a few days, and it is truly marvelous. I am currently practicing and getting my chops to a less rusty degree, but then I will make a recording to share...
  19. Replies
    Views

I've cut a deal with the FedEx guy, he'll come by my house tomorrow and I'll kindly relieve him of the massive box he's been hauling from Colorado the past three days. After that though, you bet!

20. Replies
    Views

She's done! Check out the full album here:

https://imgur.com/a/fBHN99f

21. Replies
    Views

Re: Wishnevsky Mandocello

Yessir, and I have you to thank for it. Next week will be an unprecedented one: Two mandocellos are coming in the mail! This Wish'll be a nice complement to my new Pomeroy as a "campfire" 'cello.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Wishnevsky Mandocello

Well, there used to be, anyway. I snapped it up :-)
  23. Replies
    Views

Varnishing is finished!

24. Replies
    Views

More varnish photos!

The first two show the same dye job, but in natural light. At first, I was a bit concerned about the red-brown balance between the spruce top and the maple,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Update time!

We've got the aniline dye applied. Don used a combination of spraying and hand-applied techniques, which I think turned out beautifully.

In...
Page 1 of 2 1 2