Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: crooked endpin hole on Eastman 505

Sounds like it is better than new. ;)
  2. Replies
    Views

NMD and got the blues

Well, actually I’m delighted. It’s the mandolin that has the blues. It’s a blue Morris A4. I met Sonny last week and loved the sound of this one. I picked it up today! Now I’ll have to learn to play...
  3. Replies
    Views

As David says, if the endpin stays in I wouldn't worry about it. I am thinking they added glue to keep it in, in which case I would plug the hole and redrill it.
  4. Replies
    Views

Pretty bad looking ending hole. I can't tell if it's tapered. If you can get a pin to stay in it I guess it's OK. Not sure about the shavings or the gunk ont the tailpiece.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile solo

Not only is he an excellent player and performer, he's got great stage presence and is a great entertainer. I really enjoyed his solo show I attended a few years back.

Jamie
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Good pick for starters

Hi! I’m also a happy owner of an Eastman 504. Very much a beginner- see the Newbies group.
    I had my instrument checked out by a luthier who adjusted the spacing between strings. They were very wide,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I trade up?

Aw, shucks...(blushes)...

Well, wisdom is what you get when you lose teeth, night vision, no-pee full-nights' sleep, confident balance, and -- geez, there was something else -- can't put my finger...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I trade up?

This was a very enjoyable thread and why I think this is the best instrument forum. I especially appreciated Allen’s contributions and wisdom. Playing mandolin is a blessing and I hope the OP and all...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Are travel mandolins worth it?

A mandolin IS a travel mandolin in my world. It's small enough to play inside a car, and fits in the overhead compartment of any flight I've ever been on.
  10. Re: Curt Mangan GW Signature Strings question

Howdy fellas! My Signature Monel Set are the same materials as any of their Monel sets are. As far as gauges go, My set have a 40 G and a 26 D just like a set of J74s would.... I never liked the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dennis Vance receives double transplant

Thanks very much Scott. Dennis is a vital part of our community and "mandolin cafe family". Your frequent updates on his progress is appreciated. I'm continuing to think of Dennis and pray for his...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Dennis Vance receives double transplant

Just spoke to Dennis by phone. He was with some family at a restaurant having lunch and has been out of the hospital since Monday. Sounded much better than the last time we spoke which was just a few...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Update From The Mandolin Store

Hello all. I appreciate the prayers and concern about my dad, Dennis. I just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware that we are still open and functioning as "normal." Sure, it's a little...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't dribble bourbon on your Gibson A1...

As I remember, it was Knob Creek -- not too sweet, but very "effective."
  15. Replies
    Views

Upgrading a tailpiece

I have a Loar LM-375 mandolin. Since I only play for hobby, I really don't have the money for a really high end mandolin. Would upgrading the tailpiece make a huge difference? Something a little more...
  16. Re: Beginner! Eastman 305 vs Kentucky KM-150 vs...??

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up finding a screaming deal on a Kentucky KM-150 at a store a few hours away. Lo and behold, an acquaintance in town I had just met a week prior was in that town...
  17. Replies
    Views

New to me mandolin

Well, I took a chance and bought the used Loar LM-400 in the classifieds from Elderly and It arrived today. It was made in May of 2012. After a few hours to settle, opened it and I am very pleased...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Good Mandolin set up in Houston

Good luck. Houston is a dry spot for either Mandolin or banjo work. I’ve taken some to Kevin Perry at Great Sourthern Music. Kevin is primarily a guitar luthier. Mike Fuller is another option at...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Help a Beginner?

1. I love this guy... and he's also a member here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MandoLessons
    2. if you're using a guitar pick, toss it and acquire a real mando pick. The thickness helps
    3. learn to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Eastman 305

Beware.

Eastmans are the mando version of gateway drugs...
  21. Replies
    Views

Sweet. Congratulations.
  22. Thread: NMD Eastman 305

by Caleb
    Replies
    Views

That's a fine instrument that could easily be a lifetime keeper. Play it in good health.
  23. Thread: NMD Eastman 305

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Congratulations! That’s an excellent first mandolin that will serve you well for as long as you can contain your MAS...

I recently sold my 315 as part of a downsizing effort. It was my...
  24. Replies
    Views

I had both a 305 and a 304 about six or seven mandolins ago. Great mandolins for the price. Decent tone, very good play ability provided proper set up, durable, and the nice clean look you can only...
  25. Replies
    Views

Congrats! Enjoy the heck out of it. I don't know much, but if you were to have questions, my word this is the right place to ask :)

Also, I LOVE that you're doing this with your son. So cool!
Page 1 of 2 1 2