Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Bitterroot F-5

If you know the serial number of that particular Bitterroot, people here can tell you when it was built, which will connect with all the Weber history info that you've already seen here.
  2. Re: Jacob Joliff Band Live in Speigletown NY

I totally agree!!! I saw them last year in Berkeley when they opened for Sam Bush at the Freight and Salvage --- a 400-seat venue. I agree that "progressive string band music" is an accurate...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

In 2007, I upgraded from my Kentucky 250 to a Breedlove Quartz OF. A couple years later, I bought a used Quartz FF through the Café Classifieds. I've upgraded a few times since then, but as you...
  4. Re: Tuning mandola or octave mandolin with 2nd course an octave h

A few years ago, I played a used Fletcher Brock 10-stringer at Dusty Strings that also had octave pairs on those three courses. That instrument was absolutely stunning in looks, tone, and volume! I...
  5. Re: Browns Ferry Blues-posted today, loaded with living icons

Yup, Strings introduces the band by name in the last verse. Usually, Schatz wears a hat.

That was an excellent run through the song, as you'd expect from that roster. However, I usually...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid tier Mando that will hold its value

More often than not, the mandolin: guitar equivalency price ratio is about 2:1. In other words, the relative quality of a $2K mando is about the same as a $1K guitar. So, given the guitars that you...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Beard "Celtic" Mandolin

I've never played one of Richard's mandolins. However, I have a cittern that he built in 2010, and it's tremendous! I bought it used in 2013 from someone who sold it in the Café Classifieds because...
  8. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

I played one of those at Gryphon a few months ago, and it was tremendous! It sounded more like the Artist F5, but was priced in between the standard F5 and the Big Mon.
  9. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

It definitely is. :)

I visited the showroom a month ago, on a side trip from Ann Arbor, where my daughter now lives. I made an appointment with Derek to play the Quickstep and the EleOcto. The...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

Agreed! If you subscribe to that podcast, it's Episode 47. If you don't, here's the link: https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcasts/luthier-on-luthier-frank-ford/

I'll second all of the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

"Sinatra was swinging,
    All the drunks they were singing,
    We kissed on a corner,
    Then danced through the night.

The boys of the NYPD choir
    Were singing Galway Bay,
    And the bells were ringing...
  12. Re: Buy a vintage Gibson or more modern mandolin?

I totally agree! However, I've probably played a dozen pre-Loar A's over the years, and some had way more mojo than others. So, I always suggest that people play before they buy --- which may mean...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternate Tuning For Mandocello

Interesting question. I've seen people discuss various tunings for cittern --- which is basically a mandocello with an additional course on the high end --- but not for mandocello. If other writers...
  14. Re: map of acoustic instrument dealers worth a visit

Looks like a great reference project! We're going to be driving around Lake Erie next month, and there are a few pins that are close, but not close enough for a detour, unfortunately.

On the West...
  15. Re: Our trip to Weber Mandolins and interview Ryan Fish

Great interview! The Weber tradition is definitely in good hands and heart.

If they're only going to be building three mandos a month, what will the pricing be?
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace Bobby Osborne

That would be a great Acoustic Oasis release, if the lawyers would approve!!!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Mandolins

Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz currently has two A5 Ensembles (#267 and #270) in stock. My mandobuddy and I went down there yesterday to try them out, since the last Girouard A's that we played there...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

For me, this is a tricky approach. Years ago, I took a great eight-session bluegrass band performance workshop, and midway through that, our coach --- a local professional musician --- asked me why...
  19. Re: Moving from Mandocello to Octave Mandolin? (chord patterns)

Yup!

The main difference from your recorder experience will be that you're going from C to G instead of from C to F. Another difference comes from dealing with a stringed instrument, rather than...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield NS-F5S vs Big Mon

I think that Northfield has done a great job of giving more bang for the bucks with their three F models. I like the Big Mon way more than the NS-F5S, and I like the Artist way more than the Big...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The new Nickel Creek Album

Thanks for the list of songs to check out. I have a couple of PB albums, but only listened to them once. This will give me a more targeted exploration of their music.

I agree about the new NC...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

From the preview tracks, I get the sense that the upcoming album will be traditional, but not old-fashioned in the straight-outta-Appalachia sense.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

You might like John Reischman and the Jaybirds. They write a lot of their own material, and they're in a really nice lane in between the traditionalists and the jamgrass bands. Also, check out some...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Took the plunge

Places to start:

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Octave-Mandolin-Bouzouki/dp/0786686790

https://www.homespun.com/shop/hs_bouzouki1

https://homespun.com/shop/hs_mandolin16

Joe Walsh offers an...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

"To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Yup. So where I am right now is a place where I continually improve and plateau and...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4