Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Need a laugh? Click here.:)

What a drag! But, at least you're able to laugh about it! :))
  2. Re: Beautiful John Paul Jones improv from the BBC

Happy Birthday Jonesy! :)
  3. Re: Beautiful John Paul Jones improv from the BBC

Maybe JPJ is lurking around here on the Cafe under an assumed name? Anyway, I'd LOVE to see a Cafe interview with him. He does a lot of interviews, and I think this would be a feather in his cap, as...
  4. Re: Beautiful John Paul Jones improv from the BBC

Clearly, John Paul Jones is the most gifted musician from Led Zeppelin.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Who writes this stuff?

Yeah, first thing I did was check out his positive feedback and what he sells. People seem happy with his instruments. Seems to be an upstanding person.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The first song you learned

I'm pretty sure that the first song I attempted to learn was "My Last Days on Earth" by Bill Monroe back in the mid `80's. It sounded like he was bending strings or something and I couldn't get it,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Rawhide tablature for mandolin

The most accurate tab I've ever seen to Bill Monroe's original recording of Rawhide is David Grisman's in the Winter of `77-`78 issue of Mandolin World News. Note-for-note and practical suggestions...
  8. Re: please recommend: bluegrass mando videos

If you're interested in learning from the master himself, you can't beat this 2 DVD set on The Mandolin of Bill Monroe by Homespun. Lots of songs with closeups of his hands and the 2nd DVD is Sam...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Jesus Mandolin

Though I'm a Christian and play Bluegrass Gospel, it doesn't do anything for me. As it's been already said, it could be somebody smoking a joint. Could just be wood grain too ... In fact, I probably...
  10. Re: Late Night Thoughts on Listening to Blue Grass Stomp

I don't think people are treating it as if it's Bluegrass. It was a Bluegrass instrumental in it's original form, and some people don't care for the way Statman is doing it. That's all.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your band!!

Well, this is when I was the bass player for Apple Core, a Beatles tribute band here in Milwaukee. This photo is us in 2006 at Summerfest, the world's largest music festival. I'm second from the left.
  12. Re: what are the best strings for a warm woody tone?

A woody tone? I've found that the maple strings work well ... ;)
  13. Re: Late Night Thoughts on Listening to Blue Grass Stomp

I don't think people are being critical. Most Bluegrassers like the original and are just saying that this doesn't do it for us. Different strokes for different folks.
  14. Re: Late Night Thoughts on Listening to Blue Grass Stomp

Too many notes ... but they're fine musicians. ;)
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Is Hoarding Nice Instruments Justifiable?

Asking this question here on the Cafe forum is akin to asking the drunks in a bar if it's justifiable to get loaded! :))
  16. Re: Do mandolin strings typically last longer than guitar strings

No doubt about it! I used to change guitar strings like socks, but in all of these years I don't ever recall breaking a mandolin string ... seriously! :)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Lloyd Loar's F model headstock

Nevin,

That wasn't meant as a criticism or anything negative at all. I was just saying that if it works ... great! :)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: science behind a mandolin "opening up"

Why would anyone care what a scientist has to say about a mandolin opening up? If I eat my wife's turkey today and then my daughter's, and afterward determine that my wife's is better, should I get...
  19. Re: Old Ebenezer Scrooge - fingerings, 4th part

I play Old Ebenezer Scrooge. In fact, I usually do it as a warm up to get the fingers going. I play this pretty much note-for-note and I do it with the 7th fret there. But, there's lots of open A's...
  20. Re: John Duffey - controversial stage persona?

This photo's hanging in the Bluegrass Museum in Owensboro. :)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin For Dummies - For Real

A website is given at the end of one of the earliest chapters where you can download the play along and listenable sections of the book.
  22. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe Centennial Exhibit

I wanted to start a separate thread for pictures I took of the Bill Monroe Centennial Exhibit at the International Bluegrass Music Museum in Owensboro. The fiddle is Uncle Pen's. :)
  23. Replies
    Views

International Bluegrass Music Museum

While I was in Kentucky this past weekend, visiting the Bill Monroe attractions, I stopped in at the International Bluegrass Music Museum in Owensboro. Here's some of the pictures I took, including...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm On My Way to the Old Home

Now I know what Bill was singing about, and the images of the Old Home are forever etched in my mind. I only regret that I didn't walk the trails of Jerusalem Ridge, but it was after 4pm and it's a 9...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm On My Way to the Old Home

Ivan,

Yeah, it was a nice drive in the autumn colors going out there. They've done such a nice job fixing the place up, especially when you see the film of Bill walking around the Old Home when it...
Page 1 of 2 1 2