Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys Songbook #1???

It's for real. I have spoken to Tom Ewing about it, who knew nothing about it. That would mean in his 25 years of researching Monroe for the book, he never ran across one. He suspects when the...
  2. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

Yes I know some cobblers. They've resoled my old boots a few times.

Not everyone who enjoys real, live, handmade by humans organic music is a grumpy old hipster. I see lots of folks of all ages...
  3. Re: AI and music: Billie Eilish, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi

As someone who has been making my own music for about two decades now, I recently discovered S*no (not even going to grace them by typing out the whole name, u can figure it out), which launched at...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Ahead of his time.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

As a hide glue guy I was somewhat taken out of my comfort zone reading 70281 had the bass tone bar repaired with super glue.
    There is so much to learn and consider.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass blues instrumentals?

Ronnie does a good job on the Monroe tune.

https://youtu.be/OqGQ6Ll_TkM?si=KmL3GCWywuut9uuw
  7. Replies
    Views

CNC cut inlay in CNC cut neck with CNC cut outline should be neat but they missed the design of the large scroll in the fist place and left it right off the CNC cutter.
    If you look at the TR cover...
  8. Replies
    Views

Purely from theoretical side I agree, but you cannot control all the tiny details from manager seat or spec'ing them exactly to whoever is at the bench and the result is always sum of those tiny...
  9. Replies
    Views

For a $20k mandolin I'd be looking at the competition & Gibson wouldn't be at the top of my list. In alphabetical order Ellis, Gilchrist, Heiden....
  10. Replies
    Views

I haven't played one so I won't comment on tone. but these claims are quite bold:

"Thanks to scientific analysis, 3D scanning of original models, and Loar’s production notes from the Gibson...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Earliest Tony Rice I've Heard

Here he is with his brothers at the 1964 UCLA Folk Festival under the band name "The Haphazards"
    https://youtu.be/EMRFn34d6po?si=c55TpnNuXQ0IEMZp

I was at the festival, but I don't know if I saw...
  12. Thread: Glen Duncan

by Astocek
    Replies
    Views

Glen Duncan

I've been thinking about Glen Duncan since hearing about his accident. The Mandolin Store raffle is a great way to support him.

Here's a cool video of Chris Henry interviewing Glen. I am sure...
  13. Replies
    Views

Earliest Tony Rice I've Heard

1969. At one point in the interview he mentions the lack of a bass player & that Tony overdubbed the bass on an upright. I keep trying to picture that in my mind but I can't quite get there.

14. Cajun Stomp (by Mark Schatz) on solo mandola

One of the things I love most about traditional music is the way that tunes naturally evolve over time and space because of the aural nature of how the tunes are passed on. Cajun Stomp is a tune...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Who is the female back up singer?

Both Cheryl and Sharon, per the LP back cover.209916
  16. Replies
    Views

Cold Frosty Morn (with the family band)

My daughters and I performed for an evening social gathering at the Fort Bridger Mountain Man Rendezvous. Here is one of the tunes we performed that night, featuring Liesl (16) on fiddle and...
  17. Replies
    Views

The Yeller Rose of texas

Who could be a better reincarnation of Homer and Jethro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUG0JqA7yc
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Virziectomy Major Surgery?

The absence of notches in the tone bars after a Virzi has been removed doesn't indicate that they've been reworked. Not all Virzi Loars had notches in the tone bars to accommodate the feet, per Tony...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake's mandocello?

20. Re: The String Instrument Craftsman magazine (no mando content)

Serious thanks to Brad Combs who has listed these 14 PDF files for anyone to download.
    No more emails, no more thumb drives, no more CD's - do it yourself!

Issue #1:...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Bennett

Yes, with the passing of Tony Bennett we’ve lost another great one. A master interpreter of the American songbook, always sung with finesse & emotional impact. An Italian pop singer with a Jazz...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: VERY quiet mandolin for practicing?

Just weave a cloth between the strings in front of the bridge and pick away. It’s not ideal as there is no tone feedback but it’s something. If she wants to be quiet she could study theory, don’t...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Even the Rolling Stone gets it

Bluegrass Lost Two Pioneers in Mere Days: Why Bobby Osborne and Jesse McReynolds Matter

Garret K. WoodwardJune 29, 2023

The mandolin players were members of the first class of bluegrass. Says...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Sad news

So sad to hear this news. Jesse was one of my heroes, a friend and mentor. Another giant of the mandolin has left us. Rest in peace, Jesse.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Sad news

Sad news. And yes, a very nice fellow indeed.
    And a true virtuoso. He took the instrument on paths that no one else dares to tread, not even now.

The last time I saw him, The Virginia Boys and...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3