Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

I contribute my inability to learn new material by ear to a lack of natural music talent. Believe me I have tried to train my ear, but beyond the ability to quickly play rhythm along side someone...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

notation
  3. Replies
    Views

Tab vs. Dots

Is it just me? I know many, many posts have been published regarding tablature and dots and players preference for one or the other. But I wonder if it is just me that finds tab to be simple in...
  4. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

I wouldn't play both at the same time. I would likely use the higher notes for beginning verses and end the last verse with the lower notes.
  5. Re: Tell me of your love affair with an A style...

It all gets back to personal taste. I owned F styles several years ago but began to think they looked "funny". I didn't like the extra do nothing pieces that were subject to breakage (especially the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Be careful and watch what you wish for. Knowing their history, they may.
  7. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I agree completely. All types of music for different likes and dislikes. Mike is one of the best at his style of playing. I appreciate his playing even though I prefer crystal clear notes, chords,...
  8. Re: Complete Noob - Discovered Grandpa’s bowl back mandolin !

Best to have the bowl back checked out by a luthier. New strings are a definite but if it has been sitting for years not humidified things may start breaking while bringing it up to tune. Personally...
  9. Re: Finding local buyers in Cafe classifieds

Well selling person to person works just to demonstrate what a valuable asset the Cafe provides with it's classifieds. Pittsburgh is not exactly mandolin metropolis. A nice fellow drove in from Ohio...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Classifides

I have purchased several mandolins and sold a hand full via the Cafe Classifieds. All had a 48 hour trial period with agreement that buyer pay return shipping. This has not been a problem and would...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

Scott and Galen
    Great looking logo on hat.
    Perhaps some day on a flat Irish Style Cap?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on tremolo

For me it depends on what I'm playing and if I am playing by myself or with others.
    I often do not use it for quarter notes but instead for any note longer than a quarter note as mandolins do not...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

If the thread is 15 years old it is likely I would have no memory of it. If the topic is relevant to me I will read as if it was written today.
  14. Re: bought Mandala from thrift store... now what?

Keep it in Mandola tuning, C G D A, until you become comfortable playing mandola. Finding music written an Alto Clef for mandola is a hat trick at best. But no worries.
    Since mandolin family...
  15. Re: Christmas gift ideas for my daughter / Mandolin related?

Two tickets for her and a friend to attend a performance by a nationally recognized mandolin player that she admires.
  16. Re: Christmas gift ideas for my daughter / Mandolin related?

I have had mixed results using different mandolins. Made little difference on my Stiver but a significant difference on my Kentucky KM950 and on a Eastman 305 my granddaughter now has.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Surgery for arthritis...

Been there and done that. For me the surgery was much simpler than I could have ever imagined. Stitches come out tomorrow. Already playing easier than I have in the last year or more. Back to...
  18. Replies
    Views

Another trigger finger post

Several threads in the past regarding trigger finger surgery vs. cortisone shots and PT. Yesterday I had trigger finger release surgery after trying for far too long alternative means to alleviate...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Why include straps in sales?

Never gave it much thought but have included straps I didn't like in sales of mandolins I thought may be going to a beginner and in need of a strap.
  20. Re: Sheet music with the letters inside the dots (for learning)

I have seen some very elementary notation written as you described.
    An alternative approach I used just last year for my grandchildren: ALFREDS TEACH YOURSELF TO PLAY MANDOLIN. This book provides...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Any suggestion for a gear back pack?

Hit your local Army Surplus store if you have one. It will be durable, large, and not very expensive.
  22. Re: Should one learn mandolin/mandola before tenor banjo/guitar?

Never learned to play guitar but found it necessary to learn guitar chords from a visual perspective to follow guitar players.
  23. Re: Buffalo Wabs & The Price Hill Hustle

Thanks Ranald. All four are superb musicians with a great stage performance. Had they played all night, I would have stayed.
  24. Buffalo Wabs & The Price Hill Hustle

NEW TO ME BAND based in Cincinnati, Ohio I was fortunate to see yesterday at the Purple Fiddle while on a hiking trip in the Thomas, WV area. Four multi talented musicians that put on a great show....
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone guard for Mandola

T Y. I did contact Tony and he has a fit. Appreciate the suggestions. I should have gone to the source right off.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4