Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Aficionados

Greeting all! Weber instruments were built in Montana from its start in 1997 to 2012 and then in Bend Oregon from 2012 to present. No imports were ever created under the Weber name. Really...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Aficionados

There have never been any Weber instruments or protypes manufactured overseas.
  3. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

I have one of those. I found, though, that the metal saddle was incredibly ringy—probably Gibson’s attempt to add more sustain like on guitars. Luckily they use standard adjustable mandolin bridges...
  4. Re: Copying from a PDF to Word - or Editing a PDF

So, for the public record:

My initial experimentation was on pdf's that had been exported directly from Sibelius, and I could make all sorts of edits – Sherry's are pdf's of scanned music, and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Live from Here is no more

....& anytime Chris Eldridge stepped forward; his Joe Pass study. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-sELriIS0I
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I sure miss my Collings

Remember, it is never about the instrument - only the music.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Clown Barf picks available

hey Jim! You ever try violin rosin dust? Put that on your fingers (i.e., the finger tips that touch the pick) - no water - just dust.

problem solved!

f-d
  8. Replies
    Views

My band asked me to stop playing guitar

Well, I knew this was coming. My acoustic trio has pretty much asked me to stop playing guitar. And switch to full time mandolin! They love the mandolin. :mandosmiley: And the audience seems to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Martin vs. Gibson

Before you decide, I suggest you research the Martin Style 20. It was a carved-top beauty and had a nice sound.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: We need songs for these times

Thanks for starting the thread, Ranald, here’s a song.
    -and I don’t know the guy, but he does have a LOT of fun, rolling-rhythm mandolin tunes on his YT page...
    pdNKT8-ZGv8...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Hypothetical Wierd Question ?

That's kind of the background behind my offset oval hole mandolins. They sound fine. Not like a bluegrass mandolin, and not like an oval-hole mandolin. Lots of sustain, but not tubby, lots of...
  12. Thread: 3/4

by allenhopkins
    Replies
    Views

Re: 3/4

Get your slip-jigs ready for September 8.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Accompanying a guitarists who tunes down

Lap steel. Sometimes the cats get a little crazy - I find it best to just put my ears to the wheel and go with the flow. Steel lets me get those notes between B# and Cb.
  14. Replies
    Views

Isn't it supposed to be written Cb????
  15. Replies
    Views

If things get really desperate, you could always rehearse.
  16. Replies
    Views

My best approach is to become familiar with the material outside of the jam. My second best is to listen carefully and quickly learn the song structure by ear. My last resort is to look at the...
  17. Replies
    Views

This could vault your playing to new heights. Once you learn to play closed positions, you will never worry about playing in any key deemed odd for mandolin.
  18. Replies
    Views

I'm not dependent on watching chords from guitar most of the time, using my ears instead. On mandolin and banjo I've gotten used to playing in closed positions ~90% of the time and can discover and...
  19. Replies
    Views

Well, you've discovered one good strategy already, which is don't look at a guitar player's fretboard as a clue. ;)

Speaking from the other side of the fence here as a guitar player, I used to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: No more EXP74's?

On an unrelated note (and probably way too much information) the deodorant I used for 35+ years is no longer being made, as of a couple years ago. Strange to even talk about (especially on a...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The trouble with trebles (triplets)

OK what I do is more mental than mechanical. More above the eyebrows than in the hand.

I initiate a tremolo. Then cut it short.

That's it. Been doing it for years. Works well.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael A Lewis Mandolins

Mr. Geimer, I miss the Strawberry festival at Camp Mather. It was a really good thing while it lasted, and you were there for some of it. Now we have memories.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael A Lewis Mandolins

My apology to all for dropping out but my Life circumstances dictated that I must. Six years ago my wife was diagnosed with lung cancer, and the ensuing medical issues and doctor appointments...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Vulfpeck - Thile appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1nYe6vP7pY
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Adventures in Clip-On Mics

This is an issue with all instrument mounted mics.

The thing I found was that when using them you need a different playing technique to compensate. Varying volume by picking intensity rather than...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4