Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Wish to the lord I'd never been born...

Song is I Truly Understand, recorded 1928 by "Shortbuckle" Roark and family.

Here's his version:

l6gZUBHc1iY

My favorite version is Bruce Molsky's:

puHKiSh0VCg
  2. Re: So I tried to improvise for the first time, live in a jam ses

Improvisation is composition without the luxury of editting

Here are some recommended steps for gradually leaning to play spontaneous breaks

Learn The Melody
    Learn the Harmony (harmonies)...
  3. Replies
    Views

John’s Waltz

A tune I wrote for my dad.

https://youtu.be/DfTaNTBI4vc

https://youtu.be/DfTaNTBI4vc
  4. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #1

I notice that not much is happening by way of blues here, so I decided to start posting a blues or blues-related tune a week (allowing for "the best-laid plans of mice and men...") for blues...
  5. Replies
    Views

When we all get to heaven

Here’s me and my wife, with a pastor friend of ours on the guitar.

Y9sm30D2OjQ

Because I keep not getting something right embedding the YouTube video, here’s the direct link to it
  6. Replies
    Views

Soluet #2: Mill Valley Waltz - David Grisman

The second installment of the solo duets is a lovely waltz originally by David Grisman. While it appears simple, there are a lot of little grace notes and details in the sheet music that you have to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Get Your 4 Year Degree in Bluegrass

Please allow me to offer a positive perspective on this program. As someone who Iives in the area where East Tennessee State University is located I’m surprised to see so much negativity about this...
  8. Replies
    Views

Bopping to Tom Tulley

GuPGgH0POu4]Tom Tulley's Hornpipe

I play this tune at sessions and it always makes me want to bop around the room for sheer joy! It's been around in tune books since the late 18th century, is...
  9. Replies
    Views

Leather Britches - Mandolin

Here's me on mandolin doing Leather Britches. I just posted a video on here yesterday, so I hope this isn't too much too often. Let me know if I'm breaking decorum. Also, should I just make one...
  10. Re: 1920s Regal reverse scroll - with extra bonus scrolls!

Looks amazing

My Sterling Reverse Scroll - heavily renovated - nowhere near as nice looking as your Regal, and sounds a bit boxy, but I love it just the same

11. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut height

Check this: http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html

http://www.lutherie.net/nutslot7.jpg

For plain and wound strings.
  12. Replies
    Views

Let's hear you play a nice summer tune

Don't know what the weather is like in America, but here in Germany it's cool and cloudy. Tomorrow will be the official beginning of the summer season, and I thought, it might be nice to get at least...
  13. Thread: Waterbound

by bigsciota
    Replies
    Views

Waterbound

Here's me with my new (to me, at least) Kentucky mandolin, had this great Dirk Powell song stuck in my head today so I figured I'd give it a go. I'm in GDAD for those wondering.

14. Replies
    Views

Re: Another new guy popping in with questions

Yes there is a 12th fret harmonic. My understanding is that, just like a guitar, you wan't the open string and the 12th fret harmonic to be as close to pitch as possible. Moving the bridge slightly...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Price Haggling??

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

John Ruskin
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Back: Quarter-sawn or not?

Maple has pretty much the same lateral stiffness whether cut tangentially or radially, quartered is more stable in width, and stability helps with structural integrity, so IMO, quartered is better,...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: To Recommend, Or Not To Recommend…

I understand what point daBlues is making, but I think what JeffD mentions is at least as relevant.

If I've scraped together $300 for an instrument by serious hard work and even then think it's...
  18. Replies
    Views

Diagnose Stiernberg's Awesomeness

Short version: saw a video with Don Stiernberg, and I want to know why it is so good.

Long version:

A couple of weeks ago, there was a thread by someone who was looking for country music...
  19. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain, mandolin cover

This is an instrumental cover version of "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain", written by Fred Rose. I have recorded it as a trio of mandolin, tenor guitar and mandocello, keeping it very simple.
  20. Re: Just fell in love with Country music: Looking for reccomendat

Two words... JOHN PRINE

DEy6EuZp9IY
  21. Replies
    Views

Another Saga AM-10 kit assembled

I got the bug and ordered one. After a few weeks work the parts are now a mandolin in the white.

I modified a few things:
    1) changed the binding from white to black,
    2. replaced the plastic...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Darned Impressive Tremolo Tonight

You mean like this?

taE3_BrBb88
  23. Gotta love kids playing music!! First Time Around

These kids First Time Around played 3 songs this past Friday 1/30/15 at the Mountain Arts Center open jam in Prestonsburg, Ky.

They did an amazing job! In fact, they landed a gig opening up for...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Marty Stuart on Letterman...with Mando!

I got pretty lucky about 9 years ago, when I was 12. He's a nice man, very down to earth. He doesn't forget how he got his beginnings, as a young kid playing with someone huge. He gave me the exact...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Marty Stuart on Letterman...with Mando!

Marty can flat tear it up. Folks forget he got his start on the old mandolin. Love all those autographs; I recall reading somewhere that when he first got it, he showed it to Johnny Cash backstage...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4