Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Williams

When asked to give a toast at my daughter's wedding the gentle giant came to mind and I built a toast around

You're my bread when I'm hungry
    You're my shelter from troubled winds
    You're my...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tipping a Luthier

Never tip a luthier more than 45 degrees or he will fall over ;)
  3. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll - If there could only be one?

some day I'll have a Mike Black GBOM :D
  4. Re: Mandolins with violin-style construction are nothing new...

if you are in the area you really need to check out that music instrument museum at the University of South. Dakota in Vermillion
  5. Re: Tip for using fingers on the high E string from 7th to 0

looking at those measures i'd be inclined to play frets 7-5-3 on E. then 8-7-5-3 on A. as for fingering it would be 3-2-1 followed by 4-3-2-1
  6. Re: Changing Left-Hand positions on the mandolin

well I learned a new term "mount of jupiter". It is amazing what can be learned perusing this site.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: An old joke come to life

So trading a banjo for chevy, that is just exchanging which worthless thing you want. ;)
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings are you currently playing?

D'Addario Monels EJM74 now I only have change strings a couple of times a year as opposed to every 6 weeks
  9. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile

Saw Chris tonight in Lawrence. All of his stuff is worth listening to; however, I really appreciate his understanding of Bach. The selections from the Partita in Dm were the highlights of the show...
  10. Re: Here's why you are an amazing mandolin picker but still dumb

Lady: Mr Churchill you are drunk.
    Churchill: Madam I maybe but in the morning I'll be sober. You will still be ugly
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-Handed Players

As every Marine will tell you regardless of handedness, the first step is always with the LEFT foot.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-Handed Players

Left handed, play right handed, play guitar right handed, mastered alternating bass 30 years ago. Everytime this discussion comes up, I'm in the minority. I cannot imagine trying to fret with my...
  13. Re: Seeking Advice: Seller Misrepresented Condition.

If I bought that motorcycle I would grumble about the lack of indian motorcyle under the tank ;)
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Lefties Who Play Righty?

just to stir the pot, I reject the premise that picking is inherently harder than fretting, especially if you step out of the bluegrass world, and start playing melodies with runs up and down the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: New to mandolin

assuming of course those other instruments are fretted stringed instruments which assumes facts not yet in evidence. ;)
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle Tunes with History?

I can't speak for Mackenzie's cavalry, but it was march song for custer's 7th cavalry, yes the movement of a cavalry unit is called a march heck the movement of unit of tanks is called a march. ...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle Tunes with History?

In the spring of 1800, Napoleon's forces trekked through the Alps by way of the Great St. Bernard Pass for a surprise attack on Austrian armies in what is now northern Italy.

Napoleon did not...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush vs Sierra Hull right hand

not speaking for David Lewis but I wonder if he is referring to the fact that Sam always has his mando slung low like an rock guitar player vs up high on his chest like Bill Monroe. ????
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush vs Sierra Hull right hand

my daughter calls this clip a masters class on improvisation over a known melody
  20. Re: Pinky reach vs. position shift (Haste to the Wedding)

1. Pinky definitely.
    2. DUD DUD
  21. Re: All of your instruments - how do they sound together?

guitar, mandolin and trombone, okay I'm going to need help with an arrangement :D
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Starting the New Year Off Light

I'm starting the year light too, as in down 43 lbs.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

Or look at the average enterprise scale software application
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Halloween Costume

I hear the primetone costume is 1/10th the price and just as good. ;)
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull's 1926 Gibson Mandola

just my observation but she uses open fist when playing soft and closed fist when playing loud
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4