Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 14” octave string set questions

Honestly, the strings weren’t super slack. I think Billy Gibbons plays with .007-.038 strings, and I have to imagine that those are more slack than what I had. I think you have to just attack the...
  2. Replies
    Views

For science:
    https://youtu.be/zkBtpPUrr8k?si=WpmBNyUTerqU1J-r
    This is my 18” electric octave capo’d at the fourth fret, which puts it a little over 14.25”. Then I tuned it down to G D A E with the...
  3. Replies
    Views

If you don’t have much to lose and want to try it, start using a string tension calculator set for a 14” scale. My electric octave is around 20lbs per string. That was a nice round number to start...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar shaped mandola or octave

I don’t have any insight on what box dimensions are desirable for those instruments (but IMO, the fact that we have guitars ranging from 0 to Jumbo means there’s room for variety in box size). A...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Almost ready to wire up the electric octave mandolin. It’s nice getting to pop into the world of guitar tuning machines.

6. Replies
    Views

I'm almost done with this electric octave mandolin. It will have four single strings and a relatively short scale (18"). Shooting for something in an octave mando range in a mandolin/mandola-size...
  7. Re: Need style help for Eastman MD 315 F-style Grover tuner choic

I think it all looks normal. The back looks like quartersawn maple—that’s why you have the straight grain lines. And a lot of maple is unfigured, in which case you wouldn’t see much, or any,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Woodworking Machines

I picked up this Emmert Pattern Makers Vise this afternoon! It has spent the last decade laying on the ground in the middle of a pipeline right of way in Waskom, TX.

I came across a FB...
  9. Replies
    Views

I'm popping in for tool recommendations on another thread and I figured I ought to share the latest OWWM project.
    This one is a 1967 Powermatic 1150. It's allllllllmost done--I just need to mount...
  10. Replies
    Views

I almost forgot about this project. I can’t share it on the owwm forum because it would be borderline blasphemous to show something that’s not an actual old machine. I took the guts out of a harbor...
  11. Replies
    Views

Getting pulled back into the world of Old Woodworking Machines.😀
    I just picked this one up. I’m going to build some cabinets this weekend, then will hopefully have some restoration pics soon.
    Has...
  12. Thread: buying tonewood

by Walt
    Replies
    Views

Re: buying tonewood

Yes, I have the same one. Mine is from 1939, I think, because it has the old square badge. It came with a non-original 3 phase motor that I'm controlling with a VFD. That eBay listing doesn't mention...
  13. Thread: buying tonewood

by Walt
    Replies
    Views

If you're contemplating one of the Walker Turner 16 bandsaws, one just came up for sale in New Jersey. NFI. Bid price right now is only $300 on eBay. It looks like it's in original condition. A...
  14. Thread: buying tonewood

by Walt
    Replies
    Views

I'm here!

Send us a pic of the local Walker Turner that's for sale and we can identify it for you. I bought a Walker Turner 16 on James's recommendation, and it's my favorite tool by far. Heck, it...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to practice hand rubbed sunburst

I know the Condino videos are available on the Fine Woodworking website. You can use a 14 day free trial to watch. It's definitely worth signing up for the trial subscription. I think James uses...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Any Experience With Walnut F5 Mandolins?

Maybe Hank will chime in--he recently built a fantastic F-5 with walnut back and sides.
  17. Replies
    Views

This is technically what’s on my kitchen table. I’m finishing up French Polishing the lap steel prototype. Finish is an homage to the Gibson A-3. Waiting on ivoroid to show up for pickguard and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: new top F hole repair

Speaking of...someone just posted this pretty cool picture of a Guarneri violin on Instagram.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: new top F hole repair

I don't know, sunbursts go pretty well with quilted maple...
  20. Thread: StewMac kit

by Walt
    Replies
    Views

Re: StewMac kit

You can make a non-adjustable version of the Stew-Mac jig with just some scrap wood. I used CA glue to attach the two blocks that sandwich the binding together. Then you brush acetone on your binding...
  21. Replies
    Views

While I’m thinking about it, the Walker Turner bandsaw is almost complete. That piece of cardboard is a rough template for a VFD mount. I also need to fabricate a blade cover.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Can we talk about tuning mechanisms for a sec?

Just to make sure you get the point Greg is making, here’s an example:

Let’s say you want to tune to G, but the note is currently G#. If you just loosen the string until you hit the G note, then...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Army Navy label source?

Here is a one up, one down version. I haven't attempted to size these yet, so you may have to go through some trial and error adjusting the scaling when printing them. Once I can track down the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Also, just noticed that the top symbol on the example provided by OP in his first post is upside down. It isn't like that on either of the examples I worked from. Examples:
  25. Replies
    Views

If someone can measure the diameter of the bold outermost circle, I can get this sized properly. Fonts aren't perfect matches, but close. The thin outside circle on my image is meant to be cut away....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4