Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat Mandolin Class

The mandolin class at the O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat was a wonderful event. Mick Moloney has stopped teaching classes like this but he did so for Ken Fleming, the director of the retreat. We...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: 1923 Vega Model 207 Mandolin

With two nice Vegas cylinder backs currently in the classifieds, I took a look at this thread from a couple years back. It appears that the blonde instrument that started the thread is still...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Purchasing through the Cafe

Agree wholeheartedly, sell the instrument on its merits and what it can do for the new owner. One can usually pick up straightaway if a buyer is fussy and that is within her or her own right to be...
  4. Replies
    Views

I can say I have bought and sold mandolins on the cafe from half way around the world and with one exception I have had very good dealings with members of the cafe. I can't write in a 48-h approval...
  5. Replies
    Views

I bought an awesome instrument from Eddie (above), approval or whatever, it didn't matter, he was very easy to work with and the transaction went about as smoothly as you can ever hope for...
  6. Replies
    Views

I feel I need to respond to this, not because of anything you've personally said or done, but someone reading this that is new might not fully understand and I feel it's important to clarify from my...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Staff notation woes

Staff notation tells you what the note is. Its up to you to decide what fingers on which frets will work best to play the notes.

Tab tells you one way of playing the notes. It indicates the fret...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical vs Bluegrass

Well sblock. If it were your misinterpretation you reveal a lot about yourself by the way you chose to misinterpret it; why not the other way about?. Is dressing in skins inferior to wool?
    But...
  9. Replies
    Views

Hanging with serious classical mandolinists, and learning to play classical mandolin at a serious level, is one of the hardest things I have ever done.
  10. Re: What is the collective noun for Girouards?

A Max. Lauriload of Girouards?
  11. Replies
    Views

Well, opera is usually about love, lust, betrayal, murder, redemption. . . .no wait, that was bluegrass. . . . :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

The retail community has been very supportive of the Cafe. This has never been about them. I'm not concerned about the individual on a budget that has one mandolin and upgrades every few years. By...
  13. Replies
    Views

Some fine old Shetland reels on mandolin

A new venture, gigging with melodeon player Leo McCann at the Edinburgh International Book Festival, in the wonderful Speigeltent.

https://vimeo.com/180028747
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Show your cboms!

This finally came last week. It may be one of the last Gallatin Cellos made from Weber. Maple back and sides. Plays great, looks great and it's just a kick. Not a super clear pic but you get the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: St Annes Reel

Thanks - that's helpful to go by. His A part is an octave higher but similar. My first attempt above was wrong chord in measure 5. Here's my second attempt: [feel free to wiki this with better...
  16. Re: when the stars make you drool just like pasta fazool ...

when the sheet hits the fan and you haven't a plan, hit the highway ...
  17. Autumn Leaves - video and music, chords and tablature

Forum member Fox asked if I could provide tablature for my version of Autumn Leaves on YouTube. I put together some pages of music for it last night - one chorus "straight", and a second chorus with...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Which CBOM would you keep if only one?

Seriously! I use my OM (Petersen, Level 3, spruce top and maple back and sides) the most. However, there are times when I succumb to the allure of mandocello (Weber Gallatin F, spruce/mahogany) or...
  19. Replies
    Views

RIP Lee "Penn" Gwin

Many of us kept regular contact with fellow mandolin enthusiast and Corgi lover Lee Gwin. He hadn't been active recently in the forum, but he was well known for his Antarctic Adventures a few years...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Two ready for final sanding

Having effectively retired from my sound archivist day job a month ago, it has been great to get back into the workshop on a more continuous basis. There are several of the classic 1920s mandolins...
  21. Replies
    Views

Two ready for final sanding

These two are half of the four mandolins being built for the generous folks who made the major contributions to my Kickstarter campaign last year to get The Mandolin published. The first is a Lyon &...
  22. Re: Dudenbostel and Kemnitzer - great minds thinking alike.

#73747 is exceptional, however it wasn't that this particular one "moved" me in such a way to seek it out to use as a pattern. It was simply the one that was available. I've since measured a number...
  23. Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

My very first Gibson was a white-faced A3 which I bought from Mandolin Brothers in the late 1970s for $300. That was a bunch of cash for me back then. I had been playing mandolin for 3 or 4 years and...
  24. Replies
    Views

Beatles--Old Brown Shoe

In honor of George's birthday, my solo arrangement of his song "Old Brown Shoe". I blended a Sennheiser dynamic mic and direct line from my soundhole pickup, added a trace of reverb. Video from my...
  25. Replies
    Views

Vince Guraldi's Music on Mandolin

Not sure if there is enough interest to sustain a thread this specific, but there is only one way to find out.

I've always thought that there is something about Vince Guaraldi's music - whether...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4