Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile announces new PHC house band

From an accompanying article I found this quote "Thile will host 13 episodes of the show in fiscal year 2017."

If they did a show each week it would be too much like, uh like a day job.
  2. Replies
    Views

New Mandozine Radio platform

Mandozine Radio is being launched today on Sonixcast, a radio host located in Canada. Earlier in January, Live365 (the host for Mandozine Radio for 10 years) was shut down. Thousands of stations went...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: US place names. NO mandolin content ?

My fave such story concerns an english immigrant to Vancouver who (this was in the days of steamship travel) who one day got a cable from his brother back home, informing him that his niece's liner...
  4. Replies
    Views

I put a 300 lb CRT Sony television on Freecycle.org classifieds ad a couple years ago for my hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska. I got an email from Lincoln, UK. Said he'd be right over but needed...
  5. Replies
    Views

As the saying goes, "To a European, 100 miles is a long way. To an American, 100 years is a long time."

I had a funny conversation with an Irish couple a few years ago at a Christmas party. ...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Jams in Vermont?

Hi folks,

Thought I'd give you all an update on my own message, after a year of living in Middlebury. Recently it seems there has been a bumper crop of new jams in Vermont, which might be of...
  7. Jacobson Nautilus 10-string Concerto mandolin/mandola

Here's a fun one, the first 10-string Concerto model I've made. The general goal is to add a C course to a mandolin while retaining overall feel and playability of a mandolin. The scale length ranges...
  8. Replies
    Views

sometimes, its right in front of you

backstory.
    in 2011, my daughter(8 yrs old at the time), spoke up one day while the family was riding down the road.
    "I want to learn to play the mandolin"

both of us jerked up I suppose, there...
  9. Thread: A Curly story

by MK in NC
    Replies
    Views

Re: A Curly story

I attended the book signing event and bought a copy. It sounds as if Curly Seckler has some interesting stories to tell.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Avital Instagram concertos

I thought this was great.
  11. Replies
    Views

The "Big Three" in comparison

I finally got to making a quick recording of the same tune on my 3 mandolins. The first is 1916 Embergher Ochestra 1 in maple, the 2nd is 1934 Fratelli Vinaccia in rosewood and the 3rd is the early...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Family

Just got mine. Thanks for the tip! I absolutely love it! Feels and sounds better than the Red Bear. Really great and clear but fat tone. I got the standard bevel. Perfect fit and finish. I can't put...
  13. Replies
    Views

Instruments & Pets

:mandosmiley:147867147868147869Just wondering if anyone else has had to purchase an extra case for their cat ??? I had an old featherweight rectangular case that the zipper went out on...Tried to...
  14. Punch Brothers Doctoral Thesis on Genre Blurring

This is a really awesome read. I just stumbled upon it on the ole interweb.

Essentially, it's someones doctoral thesis on The Punch Brothers and the stress and tension that defining genre has...
  15. Replies
    Views

Swedish folk on mandolin

Here are some Swedish folk tunes I've just discovered -- these arrangements are by the Japanese folk flutist "hatao", from his site at celtnofue.com. I have long been a fan of hatao's arrangements...
  16. Replies
    Views

reflections - Thile at the Kennedy Center

Living in Richmond, Virginia I rarely venture up to my hometown of Washington, D.C. That said, my duet buddy had extra tickets for Friday's Thile show, which included performances by Punch Brothers,...
  17. Re: Article: Michael Daves on Teaching Bluegrass Mandolin, Guitar

And on the subject of 'How to Sing with Others' - here's Sarah Jarosz and Aoife O'Donovan and Thile on the subject at the Kennedy Center, yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiVIX482rjo
  18. Mandolin School at the Be'er Sheva Conservatory - (i24News)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH1hHBpk6Lc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEpFgg69r6A&feature=share
  19. ACL: The Avett Brothers / Nickel Creek streaming (re-)available

Austin City Limits has made their The Avett Brothers / Nickel Creek episode available again:
    http://www.pbs.org/video/2365389551/

Always a fun watch!
  20. I' te vurria vasá (E. di Capua), Neapolitan song

Eduardo di Capua (1865-1917): I' te vurria vasá
    Published in 1900.

This is our own arrangement of this well-known Neapolitan song for romantic mandolin quartet (two mandolins, mandola in G,...
  21. John Hartford died this day, 15 years ago.

This is a sad day for me. I love John Hartford. I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a thread about him today. Granted, he wasn't a mandolin player, but he is a direct bridge from...
  22. "Sognando!" (Carlo Munier, Op. 206), mandolin quartet, with score

Carlo Munier (1859-1911): "Sognando!" - Melodia sentimentale (Op. 206)
    Andantino mosso

This is a dreamy melody for romantic mandolin quartet (two mandolins, mandola, guitar), written by Carlo...
  23. Replies
    Views

A reason to celebrate!

New music from Sam Bush on the way...
  24. Thread: Treasure found

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Treasure found

The person who has the cache in his possession is a fine maker and restorer of regular and quirky instruments. I am sure something cool will come out of this. I will do my best to get pictures of...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Apollon Photos

Here is what I've been waiting to post...
    Album cover
    Notes from the 1941 Decca 78rpm album (possibly 5-41)
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4