Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: A Question for Thomastic Infeld Aficionados

I have the Starks on an Everett Kettler that I play primarily to accompany my wife on guitar. A bit mellower tone, and I am not attacking the notes as hard. I still get a fantastic range of dynamics,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A Question for Thomastic Infeld Aficionados

I use "154 Heavy" formerly, "Stark" on my -20 A3 paddle head.

I've had my A3 for almost 40 years. Mediums (IMHO) are not well suited for arch tops. I like them on my pancakes; however! ...
  3. Re: A Question for Thomastic Infeld Aficionados

Hi Barry. Yes I have been using TI mediums for a couple of years on that very model. Do you have one too? We should compare them in person sometime. Mine’s a 2011.

The TI’s are truly…well I used...
  4. Re: A Question for Thomastic Infeld Aficionados

Tried some Starks on my MTO; wanted to like them but after a few weeks I restrung with Elixir lights. I find that Thomastiks need an exceptional mandolin to overcome their subtle tone. For me, the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet another Thomastik-Infield string question

I used Thomastik starks for many years until they became too expensive. Then switched to Fisoma Supersolos, because they are affordable. Regarding ease of playing, there's not much difference, the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Refretting a Gibson A

Hi Barry. For a local reference, it cost me $292 Cdn all in for Brian Dubbledam to do a partial refret (first 12 frets) on my Eastman in 2017. Eastmans have rather narrow fret wire that is prone to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky Nu Hyde gig bag

I had one for a short time that came with a mandolin I ended up returning. The gigbag had a good zipper, cushioned neck support and was well padded. The outside seemed durable and the backpack...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky Nu Hyde gig bag

I have one and it's very nice for a light weight bag. The zippers feel strong, it is padded nicely and it will protect from scratches and minor bumps, but it is not a replacement for a case. I...
  9. Replies
    Views

Music, Always New :-)

Dear mandolinist friends around the world,

what a year this has been! Looking back at the time that has elapsed since last spring, it may at first seem interminable. To put this ordeal in some...
  10. Re: Info: about Irish online Academy mando & octave mando courses

I have been using the Online Academy of Irish Music for several months now and have worked through the bouzouki classes, a tenor banjo class, and have begun to learn tinwhistle. Previously, I had...
  11. Re: Info: about Irish online Academy mando & octave mando courses

I have been using the Mandolin Basics lessons since April as a way to cope with the pandemic. It’s working. I like that you can go back to a lesson over and over. I’ve logged on 450 times. The...
  12. Re: Info: about Irish online Academy mando & octave mando courses

I didn't see any octave mandolin courses listed, though there is a Bouzouki Progressions course taught by Alan Reid and he's a monster of a player, so I'm sure that one would be great stuff.
  13. Re: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

Classical, Celtic, World, Nordic, Scottish, Folk, etc. The oddball stuff. Not much Bluegrass, but occasionally I like to learn an Monroe tune.
  14. Re: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

I put the Thomastiks (Heavy, whatever they call that) on the MTO last night, played it for about a half hour, tuned it back up and put it away. Came home today, every string was still in tune except...
  15. Re: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

I get a little longer out of them than I do a phosphor bronze.
  16. Re: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

I am partial to 80/20 bronze strings on ovals. I think they bring out that characteristic, chime-y, bell-like sound.
  17. Re: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

I use CM Bluegrass on my Girouard F4 and CM Monels on my Girouard A oval !
  18. Re: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

I don't own a Collings MTO so this can be taken with several grains of salt. With my 1916 F-4 I have tried many types of strings including TI mittels and have settled on D'Addario EFW-74 flat wound...
  19. Re: String preferences for Collings MTO oval mandolins?

When I had my MT-O I really liked Curt Mangan Bluegrass mediums on it.
  20. Replies
    Views

iReal Pro Charts

Hola Y'all-amos,

I don't post as much as I would like to on the MandoCafe but I thought I'd at least post a link to some iReal Pro Charts that I've posted over on the iReal Pro Forums. I've...
  21. Re: Backing Irish music with guitar after playing mandolin melody

You may find Chris Smith's book useful to give you an insight into the whole subject of backing.
    Celtic Backup For All Instruments
    I bought it to help with my Tenor guitar and Mandoloncello backing...
  22. Re: Has anyone use a K&K Dual channel preamp

that's OK :)
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone use a K&K Dual channel preamp

I see it now Rob, missed it the first time I looked.
  24. Re: Has anyone use a K&K Dual channel preamp

it's got the optional mic input - there are two jack ins. the switches above the jack inputs dictate what type of input IIRC
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone use a K&K Dual channel preamp

You can send a mixed signal to the board, but you would have to have a pre with a piezo input (1M) and a more standard input. A fishman amp might be an easy way to blend, it has one channel for a...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4