Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

Jeff, remember that there is a good chance that the dust is comparatively new. ;) Dirt, dust and goop are certainly not part of the original Gibson/Loar concept. Do they belong more in the "aging" or...
  2. Re: What is the "Allure" of The Gibson Snakehead?

I agree 100%. Other obvious examples are: Short left-over F4/F2 neck blanks were used on f-hole mandolins in the 1930s on models F7, F10 and F12 (which moved the bridge further towards the tail piece...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Classifides

Certainty costs $$ – and the customer pays for it.
  4. Thread: Action!

by Hendrik Ahrend
    Replies
    Views

Re: Action!

"I don't think there's anything wrong with the action..."
  5. Re: the gibson master model 2001 signed by danny roberts

Another real Master Model with Fern inlay:https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/108651-Gibson-2002-F-Derrington-Fern-or-master-model
  6. Re: the gibson master model 2001 signed by danny roberts

Apparently, only very few "real" Master Model were Ferns. At least one – prototype III – from 2001, probably the one you have in mind, received its Fern inlay later along with a new neck due to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Uncle Don Brown's Loar

I stand corrected, thanks!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Which kind of Mandolin you play ?

211051 1923 211052 1928
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s in a Scroll?

Quite likely, as the (Griffith) A5 body has the larger size of an (oval hole) A model – as opposed to modern Gibson A5s, which are essentially stripped F-model bodies.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s in a Scroll?

I'm all for a scroll on my mandolin; man does not live by bread alone.:cool:
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Alliance 1971

Sorry, no 'bone in 1948. :)
  12. Re: you sell a banjo and have some spare $ so.......

Wow, congrats on your purchase! And no eagle beak...
  13. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

Not quite. Many details were missed, such as upper finger board width, body scroll binding mitre, body shape on the treble side (some examples), head stock binding (some examples), top arching,...
  14. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

Jan, I beg to differ. This new Master Model may still not nail every tiny detail in a close Loar sense. (Spotting "non-loarish" details in F5 copies is one of my favorite pastimes.) Admittedly, the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson string anchoring at tailpiece

This is from Gibson's catalog Q 1928:

Those extra hooks were meant to prevent plain strings from slipping, since, back in the day, the loops on plain strings weren't really well executed,...
  16. Re: Old Gibson mandolin - what is it and value?

Unlikely, as 73674 is an F5.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace Bobby Osborne

Very sad; super singer, super picker, super fellow! Here's KY Waltz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoxuhG4Eauo
    God bless.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a "master luthier"?

As much as we acknowledge that vintage F5s were made by a team in a factory environment, prices are higher as soon as Loar's signature is on a label, or "Loar just left the building", as we read in...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a "master luthier"?

Experts are many, that's for sure. My personal favorite advice for master slave luthiers would be based on something like this:
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickguard material?

Yes, that material is still available. Moreover, I happen to own some of the right (L & H) thickness. (No financial interest.)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush Master Model as opposed to F5

All recent Gibson F5s are Master Models, including the "Fern" and the Sam Bush model. And it's written on the label. Funny but true, there are also those special, "real" (= closer to Loar specs) F5s,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: One of the last Paddlehead A Jrs?

👆Check the FON. The serial number refers to the time of shipping.
  23. Re: I sure Like the 29 Fern in the Classifieds

The FON is 150, which makes the production year 1931 (according to Spann).
  24. Re: I sure Like the 29 Fern in the Classifieds

I certainly agree for the most part. As far as I understand Spann's results, wouldn't he date the instruments mainly by the FON (and construction features)? Most dealers seem to cling to the serial...
  25. Re: I sure Like the 29 Fern in the Classifieds

I've never seen such a short pick guard mount on an old F5.
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4