Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed Neck on Carbon Fiber Mandolin

Only about half way. :) I've been using Scotchbrite for a long while, mostly because down here on the third coast anything made with iron in it rusts pretty quickly because of the heat and...
  2. Thread: Aged-tone?

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Wood will always gets to EMC which depends on RH of air around it. Thermally processed wood has slightly lower EMC and has generally better dimensional stability which was the main argument for doing...
  3. Replies
    Views

White scotch brite will do the same thing with less mess.
  4. Replies
    Views

I really don’t get all this “speed neck” thing but a quick rub down with fine wire wool has traditionally been the solution to a snooker cue sticking to your bridge hand.
  5. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Jim Roberts
    Replies
    Views

A mellower sound? Please cite your sources for us. Thanks.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello as an octave?

My custom 10 string 26" scale mandocello covers the range of a mandocello and an OM , going from C to E (C-G-D-A-E).

4PyS26F0HhE

I also tuned my Eastman MDC805 like an OM once:

24wZAswSCn4[...
  7. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Iron
    Replies
    Views

Before you make up your mind about torrified, play a Red Diamond.
  8. Thread: Aged-tone?

by DaveGinNJ
    Replies
    Views

I get my aged-tone from being old. I’m not torrified, just naturally old
  9. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

The tone when you tune your mandolin to A-G-E-D?
  10. Re: Overcoming halted progress and frustration

I have noticed two things:
    #1 - when practising stubbornly on the same faulty phrase, the brain can learn how to do it wrong and stick to it.
    #2 - when learning a new tune, the brain overwrites...
  11. Re: First Mandolin Choice, what is available to me now

Follow up.

So, I've had my Loar LM-310F going on the third day now. I am very satisfied. Of course, I realize that I don't have a point of reference. But I've been playing 2-3 hrs each day, mostly...
  12. Jimi Hendrix: Little Wing Part 2 (9th chords)

https://youtu.be/UA4YkLvoDAU
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Most of the bluegrass guitarists I know will play out of E forms. However most bluegrass guitarists are flatpickers. Scruggs used fingerpicks when he played guitar. You Are My Flower, which is...
  14. Replies
    Views

One thing to keep in mind - sometimes the "odd" keys for bluegrass (like F#, Eb, Ab - or even micro-tones) weren't a result of specific tunings - but recording speeds being altered with things like...
  15. Re: First Mandolin Choice, what is available to me now

Dear TMSweeney,
    Thank you. You are confirming what I may have already know. BTW - I found a cure for MAS or GAS. When we sold our house and hit the road full time in 2022, we had to get rid of...
  16. Pearland/Houston (Tex) area bluegrass jam - March 9th - 5-9 pm

I'm the Rector (= pastor) of St. Thomas of Canterbury Anglican Church, which is located right by the boundary between Houston, TX and Pearland, TX.

We are hosting a free bluegrass jam...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning mandolin as a fiddler?

Yes. I started on violin when I was 10, classically trained, and played in orchestra all through the end of high school.

I started learning bluegrass and fiddle tunes when I was 13, based on the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Paul told me this when taking some lessons from him many moons back. Stupid me didn’t believe him (A flat HAS to be harder than A!!!). After really getting into bebop and playing with players who...
  19. Replies
    Views

It is indeed a very good thing to learn how to play in all keys, not just the ones you like, not only because it's good to know how to play your instrument as fully as possible, but also because you...
  20. Replies
    Views

My take is people become familiar with the keys that are frequently used in the genre(s) they play. Most folksmusic is not done in flat keys, as horns were typically not used. Swing and jazz...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

To avoid disappointment, be sure to drill out the rivet after having removed the cap.
  22. Replies
    Views

Paul Anastasio, jazz and Western swing violinist. Cut a beautiful swing album (We Ain't Misbehavin') with Joe Holley and Frank Hicks. Just two violins and a guitar.
  23. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

When I first read your post I thought you were referring to the post just before it about breaking into cars and leaving more banjos in them. I did not think you were that sort of person.
  24. Re: Would this be a good invention, or is there another solution?

Strum Macine is a great play-along resource. There is a cost, but it’s very low, compared to driving a long way. If you are looking for more advanced play alongs that simulate other players, there...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: A Jr- Interesting Wood Grain

This Windsor Whirle tenor guitar my luthier rebuilt for me was made in Czechoslovakia in 1927. It has really wide grain as can be seen. This instrument had been modified extensively and was crushed...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4