Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice for a pre-professional luthier?

I have built two A style mandolins, and I'm happy to remain a hobbyist. But if I were to turn pro, I would read all of grandcanyonminstrel's (James Condino) posts regarding his jig that enables you...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: New 2nd generation Coombe flat top

It is X braced similar to a guitar with the X reinforced with carbon fibre. Basically they are built more like a flattop guitar using some of the principles in the design book by Australian luthiers...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: General Mandolin Post

There is no need to feel driven into perfectionism just because others talk about it.

However, if the feeling arises anyway, it might originate from something else missing or not good enough in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

I'm an engineer by education (well, I started as a music major and then changed over to Electrical Engineering after 3 semesters), so I am all for the scientific method. That being said, history is...
  5. Replies
    Views

It's hard to avoid thinking that correlation implies causation. Do fast cars win races.. or did the cars get faster because of all the winning? That's an obvious example, but lots of life is not as...
  6. Replies
    Views

I think this topic can be summed up by 'Believers gonna believe!’. Belief is based in emotion and as such, can sometimes be irrational. Belief does not require facts, objective evidence or proof and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: I must've done something wrong......

I’ve used it for decades on finished surfaces (doing burn-ins) and when I feel it necessary or useful on unfinished surfaces (doing glue ups) with no problem of finish adherence afterward. I’m...
  8. Replies
    Views

In general, Titebond squeeze out and/or glue runs that are not under clamping pressure will not adhere well to any sealed surface. But under a little clamping pressure, adherence will be improved, as...
  9. Replies
    Views

Varnish of some kind, like Minwax or other waterborne or oil-based polys, then wiped down with paste wax is a good way to go.

The best thing to do is to make sure your part is as smooth as...
  10. Replies
    Views

Shellac, lacquer, other finish material will keep most glues from sticking strongly. (CA will stick to most of them.)

To the casual observer, the finished jigs and fixtures that we see in some...
  11. Replies
    Views

It will in nearly any case. The warnings that we get saying that new TB will not stick to old TB just mean that we don't get as good a glue joint if we don't clean the old TB off completely. We still...
  12. Replies
    Views

I've not heard of using Titebond as a sort-of mask before. The rule that I understand is that wood glue does not adhere "as well" to existing glue as it does to a clean joint. The general thought...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Richlite bridges

Exactly.

The world human population today is something between 7 -8 billion?

In 30 years (depending on the model you use) it will be 9.5 to 11.5 billion. That is a big range but I don't know...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: CMC joint arthritis (no mandolin content)

Earl
    I see you are in east Tn. There is Dr Green in Bristol Va that does acupuncture/chiropractic:
    Wiley A. Greene, DC
    1914 Euclid Ave, Bristol, VA 24201
    (276) 642-0107

I used him around 10...
  15. Replies
    Views

I just had CMC thumb arthoplasty surgery this week. My left hand was becoming more and more painful the more I played my mandolin (especially chords). All went well--I am typing this now with both...
  16. Replies
    Views

NEWS FLASH: Titebond changes date code!

EXCLUSIVE to the Titebond Glue News Network!

Titebond just confirmed for TGNN that in January, 2019, they changed their date code. Experienced users of Titebond will know that this is the 3rd...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: break angle and string tension

Here's what I don't quite get: If you have a rope hanging on a pulley, there's never any mechanical advantage, no matter what the angles of the ropes as they exit the pulley, or the length of the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Sorry for my crappy sketches, just thinking through this... gotta be careful because a lot of what makes intuitive sense is oversimplified, and sometimes the examples we remember from class are...
  19. Replies
    Views

Irrelevant.
    Force vectors and string tensions are not the same thing.The illustration does not show a saddle supporting a tense string.

If this is a valid proof, I'd like to hear from one who...
  20. Replies
    Views

I can see that the % contribution to the down-force on the top is greater because of the difference in angles (maybe), but I can't see that the actual string tensions above and below the bridge are...
  21. Replies
    Views

I agree. Pure math is perfect. Applied math tends to be messy.
    ~o):popcorn:
  22. Replies
    Views

Hi Earl, he did have the procedure where they take the 2 bones out and replace with tendon. As for recovery he said yeah while it’s about a year for full recovery after the initial 3 months of...
  23. Replies
    Views

How is his recovery with respect to fine hand skills? Grip strength? Finger and thumb meeting correctly? Rowing a raft is one thing, recovering the ability to do luthier skills like Earl is another....
  24. Replies
    Views

Hi Earl, my husband had this surgery last October. The surgery and recovery went well and as of this writing he said he feels he's regained about 90% of normal. By early summer he was able to row...
  25. Replies
    Views

You might like to take a look at this thread too https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?141661-Finger-splints-for-arthritic-joints
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4