Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

To tell you the truth, even fiddlers can't keep up with "the Fiddlers." You're relatively new to this, Sue, so it'll take time. In fact, many never get there. Miles Davis, so I'm told, couldn't play...
  2. Thread: Tam Lin

by Colin Botts
    Replies
    Views

Tam Lin

Sadly, this is one of those tunes that is probably getting a bit tired and worn, but only because it's one of the most rocking reels ever written. If Led Zeppelin would have composed a reel, this...
  3. Mandolin Camp North is just over a month away!

I highly recommend players of all levels check out Mandolin Camp North in Charlton, MA, April 19-21.

There is really something for everyone, beginner through professional players, with many...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Speakers/Monitors (no mando content)

Dave nails it. The horizontal throw really changes how the QSCs react in each environment. My band used K10's on stands as mains and K8s as monitors. It was a great setup and really filled the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning mandolin as a fiddler?

I've taught both instruments for many years.
    The biggest difficulty is learning the difference between the pick and the bow.

On the violin, the bow does whatever is necessary to follow the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin in fiddle hell

fiddle hell is mandolin heaven. next fiddle hell online is April 11-14, 2024. schedule is now online at https://fiddlehell.org/schedule

lots of "usual suspects" for mandolin stuff, but also a few...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Joe Val Festival - Framingham MA Feb 16-18

At the price point of $65, I am not expecting an extensive seminar/workshop schedule. If that's your main interest, Mandolin Camp North and Fiddle Hell are likely to be of more interest.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternatives to EJ-74

Curt Mangan Phosphor Bronze strings. These are light, medium, and medium heavy gauges. The "E" is either .10, .11 or .115. I do recommend Just Strings for a bulk purchase of different brands of...
  9. Replies
    Views

The Miller of Drohan

Here's my latest offering on the mandola. After some experimenting, I discovered this tune lays nicely on the fingerboard in Bb. Who'd have thought?

https://youtu.be/FOFIFXNPe1k
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

G minor? I dunno. Maybe for you, but for me, the notes don't fall in the right places. G major, even not quite, though I'm so familiar with it that I can make just about anything work pretty easily....
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin in fiddle hell

fiddle hell is mandolin heaven. next fiddle hell online is April 13-16, 2023. preliminary schedule: https://fiddlehell.org/schedule

notable mandolinists:
    emory lester
    rodney miller (yes, he...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: New world record for mandolin playing

Yeah, The Alpha List is all originals, and I didn't write "Wagon Wheel," so it wasn't part of that dealio. But just so you're not disappointed ...

t2bri-uMUlo

Now, my previous band used to do...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you insure your instruments?

Yes, I have all my instruments insured through Heritage. I am less worried about theft than I am damage or loss as a result of a fire, water damage or storm damage to the house. I could probably pay...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Just read "MANDOLIN PRICING"

Couldn't care less about the price of mandolins, guitars or any other stringed instruments and the accompanying angst and gum flapping about what they cost. What I want to know is why when I go to...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Circle of 5ths

First off, I just want to say, what caught my eye ain't no part of nothin', but it's kinda something: Brunello - meet Bruno. Bruno - Brunello. :grin: I feel like Letterman at the Oscars - "Uma -...
  16. Re: How does it work when people are playing together?

Generally after a few through the same tune (which is why in old time sessions you play the tune so many darn times) the versions generally synchronize on their own, with some variation. Playing...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: David Surette has passed.

Very saddened to hear this. I thought he was doing better, and was actually hoping to join his online class once he got better. Always loved his playing, but never got a chance to meet him in person....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: David Surette has passed.

It was a pleasure to hear him play Frieze Britches in person at Swannanoa 2017 where I was first introduced to his teaching and music, and on the Mandolin Mondays video. On my drive back from...
  19. Re: 30's Gibson F-7 RW "Loar Buster" and 1936 F-5 Fern video link

Its been awhile, well I have a video demo of two of my old F-5's, the 34 Fern and an early 38 Flowerpot. I made for a guy who was interested in maybe buying one but alas he was just a...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice Looking F4 at Music Folk

Yes, indeed. That someone is me. :) I've been looking for one of these for ages, and the price was right - not entirely, but close enough. ;) I'd had a line on one through Bruce Weber this past...
  21. Replies
    Views

The Sound of the American Mandolin

i found this just now, never seen it before, i would think its made its rounds here in the past, but in case someone else has never watched this either, here you go
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Please define “intermediate”

This might be a strong argument for using the term "journeyman". Or maybe it will be of interest.

Our grading system is divided into three major divisions, “Elementary,” “Intermediate,” and...
  23. Re: Some great resources for Irish trad players...

Here's some favorites I have discovered over the years:

Irish Traditional Music Tune Index

Traditional Music of Clare

Séamus Connelly Collection of Irish Music

Harp of Tara - Great free...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Lessons With Andy Statman

Andy is teaching, along with Sharon Gilchrist and a bevy of other heavy hitters at Fiddle Hell’s Spring 2021 session in late April.

https://fiddlehell.org/
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tommy's Tarbukas and some Seán Nós

Thanks y'all!

John, I cannot yet do them simultaneously, but I will work on it.

Dave, I thought he may have been the composer, but didn't know for sure, I'll go add him in the description now
Page 1 of 2 1 2