Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Zappa quote

Clash resolve is what makes melodies and especially improvisation work to my ears. Spend time playing “wrong” notes and finding where they resolve. Then see how to make those resolve points even...
  2. Yooper Creoles: Finnish Music in Michigan's Copper Country

In another thread a member mentioned Ralph Tuttila as a mandolin influence. The name looked familiar, so did a search and stumbled across this video.
    In the mid 90"s I traded a vintage Hohner button...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: I miss the Classified Guitar posts....

I don't, honestly, and I play guitar at least as much as mandolin (neither not enough). And, there are a couple acoustic-guitar focused forums where I can find hundreds of guitars for sale, never...
  4. Re: Article: Remembering Jethro Burns on his 100th Birthday, an A

Noting the anniversary of this feature.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Emma's Waltz (Emman Valssi)

Good tune. Seems like it may have been "played out" in the last few decades. Our band can do it, but we don't include it in our sets very often. I happen to like it and try to get us to play it more...
  6. Replies
    Views

Emma's Waltz (Emman Valssi)

Another famous Finnish waltz...:mandosmiley:

https://soundcloud.com/jairorp/emmas-waltz?si=34e0bfdc946448a5b9a092d3cf458ca2&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Finnish music ideas

Hello mandolin players who like tunes with Scandinavian, especially Finnish flavour! I have news for you!
    In this thread some people have mentioned my mandolin publications:
    Mandoliiniopas (1990)...
  8. Replies
    Views

Metsäkukkia - Finnish waltz

This is a popular Finnish waltz composed in 1931 by Viljo Vesterinen.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 1910 A-1 with fantastic wide grain

Now that's what really matters. I don't play the wood grain...I play mandolin. Assuming the action is good, it's the sound that counts.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson launches Certified Vintage Program

Postage stamps should be collected. Instruments should be played. Get off my lawn, Gibson. :grin:
  11. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

JEStanek wrote: “For me best tone is a combination of how I hold the instrument, my technique, and the mix of strings and pick to get optimal tone.”
    It’s only human, of course, so many of us are...