Search:

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. was looking at a mandolin for a friend, and this happens.........

let me start by saying,
    1)the Bend boyz got it going on
    2)i pledge i will not look at TMS website for the next 2 years
    3)checks all the boxes, and then some
    4)i was not expecting to do something...
  2. Replies
    Views

Tchaikovsky on mandolin

I've been playing around with two very different Tchaikovsky pieces, both of which I think work nicely on mandolin:

P.I. Tchaikovsky: Album for the Young/Children's Album (Op. 39, 1878)
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What instrument is the hardest? My experience

I found just the opposite. I think I would have found the fiddle much easier if I hadn't been playing mandolin and been in the folk music community for all those years. The reason is I developed a...
  4. Replies
    Views

My experience, for the little it's worth:

I started on mandolin about four years ago, and then picked up an acoustic guitar, an electric bass, and, most recently, a fiddle.

The mandolin was...
  5. Replies
    Views

There was a time where I could not play guitar. My fingertips would go numb. I had to play something so I bought a pedal steel. I took lessons, practiced like the devil, and amused myself for two...
  6. Re: Please talk about your experience with the Mandola.

I'd had an interest in learning mandola for a while, too, so when the opportunity arose recently to acquire a Pono prototype tenor-uke-bodied mandola at a good price, I went ahead and bought it,...
  7. Replies
    Views

New to me Mandolin day!

Hi there! My name is Jeff and I am new to the forum and a newbie on mandolin. I started a while back and could play some basic chords, but hadn't really dug in till I was hired to play for a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

These are real questions taken from a Orchestra Conductor’s examination. 10 points for each answer.

Jethro has been playing electric bass in a rock band for 12 years, three months and seven days....
  9. Re: Is there an ideal Radius Setting for mandolins?

So far, none of my customers have asked for a flat fretboard. I've done compound radiused fretboards entirely, flattest was 10" at the nut and 14" at the bridge, the most extreme was a 4" radius at...
  10. Re: How to choose a good F style mandolin when you are miles from

shop via trusted instrument vendors such as ,ThemandolinStore, Avenue Guitars, Elderlys, Gregboyds, musicemporium. All will have a return period and all will tell you to the best that a human can,...
  11. Re: How to choose a good F style mandolin when you are miles from

Buy used from the Cafe classifies and ask for a 48 hour return with you paying shipping both ways if the mandolin does not tickle your fancy.
  12. Re: Please talk about your experience with the Mandola.

Mandolin never happened for me even after years of trying.
    Mandola is just perfect in every way.

A non musician woman a few weeks ago asked me why my mandolin had a deeper voice.
    It was nice to...
  13. Replies
    Views

John Cohen 1932-2019

This posted on Facebook by John's son Rufus:

A few weeks ago I played with John and David Amram at an informal gathering at Tompkins Corners Cultural Center. I have played with him at various...
  14. Replies
    Views

Just a happy trio.

I just figured out how to post pictures so I thought I would share this happy trio.179819
  15. Replies
    Views

A new bass owner sought out a teacher. At the first lesson, he learned how to play one note. A week later, at the second lesson, he learned another note. He failed to show up for the third lesson....
  16. Re: For All Of You On The Southeast US Coast

After seeing images of the storm’s destruction in the Bahamas, I’m at a loss for words. I hope you continue to be safe, John. While I am unable to physically lend a hand, my prayers continue for all...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Caterina Lichtenberg‘s On-line course

You mean the artist works one?

I am a subscriber.

While has some intro material, it pretty much assumes you can read music and have some facility with mandolin already.

It's strengths...
  18. Thread: Musician Jokes

by mclaugh
    Replies
    Views

Re: difficult audiences: Some bluegrass friends were playing at a local hospital a few years ago, going from room to room. They popped into one guy's room and played him a song. As they were leaving...
  19. For All Of You On The Southeast US Coast

I hope and pray for your and your loved ones’ safety. Please let us know how you are doing as you are able.
  20. Replies
    Views

So several years ago my band played a gig at a local church. After we had finished the folks started going downstairs for some coffee and cake. A woman came up to me and said "Those were some of the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Our band was originally made up of 3 guys all of which were somewhat long in the tooth. The youngest is 62 and I'm the oldest at 75. We called ourselves "Three Old Men Desperately Seeking...
  22. Re: Combination sound hole and a special carve?

Personally, I can't stand baby $#!t brown traditional mandolins. Over the years I've built hundreds of experimental, non traditional instruments. If you are going in that direction, you have to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach: Suite D-Dur (BWV 1007), Prelude

Sometimes is easyer to tune cars and trucks...
  24. Replies
    Views

Ha! the version I heard was 'why don't they switch to C natural and resolve the discussion?"
  25. Thread: Musician Jokes

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Heard this one yesterday:

Why is everyone protesting the G7 summit, couldn't we just switch to C natural?
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4