Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Hey Aidan,

I just made a video of those jigs I did for you all those years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjWxcbB-QBU
  2. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

We're able to easily find any tune on your group, Aidan. Or any tune in any other group, or tunes appearing in multiple groups.

Assume you're using the Search on the group page which only searches...
  3. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Thanks Aidan for this mamoth piece of work.

When I try a search on the Youtube page it appears to generate a Youtube search rather than one for the playlist.
    However the playlist can easily be...
  4. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Gonna check out the site now and will add it to the links section on my music blog
  5. Re: Irish traditonal music on electric mandolin

I like this music!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Aidan, I've been enjoying your You Tube posts for quite a while now (also what you've posted on the Song-A-Week Social Club, of course), and have followed you here to your new "venue." I particularly...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Those are two brilliant sets! So glad that they were not consumed by the hard drive gods.
    Dagger, always appreciate the attack and drive you put on your tunes. Have to pull out my copy of the...
  8. Re: "Mandolin Players In Ireland" Social Group

Hey Aidan,

Do you still have the recordings of two Irish sets I made for you several years ago, and if so where might I find them?
    I think they are a set of jigs - Sweet Biddy Daly/Banks Of Lough...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: The Song-A-Week Social Group...

Thanks for the reminder - I had completely forgotten about that group!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The Song-A-Week Social Group...

Your question raises an interesting point about awareness of the SAW Group, Aidan. When you look at the membership of the group it stands at 1624, yet there is so very little activity in the group...
  11. Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

Hey All,

My music teacher and I developed an Irish trad tunebook that we're putting out here for all to use. I know there’s already a few out there, but this one’s ours! It contains tabs and...
  12. Today's tune: The Unquiet Grave, aka Star of the County Down

Here a lovely little melody that I was playing around with this morning. This tune has been reused and repurposed so many times I wasn't even sure what to put as the title. Anyway, I thought it...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

That is the absolute truth. Add to that when we get done with a tune, after years and years of playing the potatoes out of it, who knows what changes, deliberate or not, we have introduced into it....
  14. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Very best wishes on your health, Aidan. And take it easy.
  15. Re: Please help identify this tune (The Rising of the Lark??)

Thanks for pointing us to that excellent podcast, Aidan - hadn't come across it before.
    He gives nice versions of these tunes.
  16. Re: Strings for tuning Plectrum banjo as Irish Tenor capoed 3rd f

Yes, so it's a bit odd that Oscar Stern states in his post that you can only tune a banjo to GDAE if it has a scale length over 23 inches in length, it's just not true.
  17. Re: A few YouTube videos which have impressed me recently...

The musicianship in the Fox on the Town set is indeed delightful, but special commendation must go to the cinematographer, even more so if he is also the editor. I lost count of how many angles were...
  18. Re: A few YouTube videos which have impressed me recently...

I thought Eric looked familiar, but he had more beard last time I saw him. He was in the Daymark Band when they toured the PNW a few years ago, and my S.O. and I were the hosts for a house concert...
  19. Re: A few YouTube videos which have impressed me recently...

Thank you Aidan, the videos paired nicely with my morning coffee.
    The Fox on the Town set is really inspiring, I’m going to finish my scone and head to the practice room.
    The Swallowtail Jig, is...
  20. Replies
    Views

Aidan,

Your efforts have been very useful, not just that, but inspiring.

It's just a fact that, since the age of recording started over 100 years ago, and the print distribution of notation and...
  21. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

So, on first hearing I thought “ yeah, those are the same”. But applying my hybrid tab system the differences seem immediate and fairly substantial although the number of measures that are...
  22. Replies
    Views

The Irish Mandolin comes up regularly on my Youtube feed. Although I can't remember how that started, it's certainly an awesome resourse, which I only very occassionally use, but which could easily...
  23. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

As people say, each to their own.

But it got me musing about how there's one thing that rankles me a bit with tablature and that's its current presentation across the mandolin publishing world....
  24. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Aidan,
    Well, it’s helped me to learn the fretboard— at least in the first position which I suppose is all I will ever need. Referring back to your start of the tab vs by ear discussion
    and the way...
  25. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

204180In my youth, long before electronic tuners, my initial frustration with playing guitar was simply getting tuned-up by ear. A big part of many failed attempts to learn was probably lack of...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4