Search:

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Classic Bar Frets Refretting HELP

I had an old Martin mandolin project with bar frets that were worn and needed replaced. I took them out and added some wood material to the bottom of the slots and reinstalled them upside down. I...
  2. Re: Finding local buyers in Cafe classifieds

Congratulations Bill, my friend from Ohio showed me pictures of the Stiver and promised to bring it to the next jam. He's a monster on the banjo!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What is or was this?

Gibson fired the maker after he completed this one.
    (imprecise construction, lol!)
  4. Re: Looking for information on this mandolin

It looks like a nice carve and scroll work. The wood looks good as well as the headstock vine. It is unusual to see a volute at the base of the headstock but not unheard of, the late Glen Dean Cecil...
  5. either a little mandolin or really big tailpiece - Ebay

Handcrafted mandolin on Ebay, something seems out of proportion :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305360279100?hash=item4718e4163c:g:0YoAAOSwUkplqV3D
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

He scared me into wanting to get better. I got to open for Bill and the best part was him joining us on stage. Now that was a little scary.
  7. Re: Post a picture of your Blue Grass jam you attend

I host a bluegrass jam one a month on the 2nd Tues. (7-9) in Wheeling, WV at the Bridge Tavern. It's a great venue with lots of great entertainment.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: No Need for a Metronome with This One

Time is on your side with this one, er on your front, lol!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Big Muddy Morning

I thought this thread was going to be about Burning Man! :)
  10. Replies
    Views

another fake Ebay Gibson mandolin

Why do these always seem to show up from Texas? I notified the seller and Ebay, we'll see how long it stays listed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305122982135
  11. Replies
    Views

Ebay: 4 Very Old UNIQUE MANDOLINS

I love Ebay for entertainment purposes. Here's 4 unique mandolins, one is so unique that it's kept in it's bag only to be revealed after purchase. Maybe it's just me, but $1500.00 for the batch seems...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Another very used F2

That poor headstock :(
  13. Re: Northfield vs. Northfield and Northfield vs. Gibson compariso

I had in my possession a very nice Northfield F5 varnish model, top end, I had the chance to get to know it pretty well as I was selling it for my late friend's widow. I was able to compare it to my...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Mandolin Stand?

I used to use the Hercules violin stand for my mandolin until I discovered the Hercules ukulele stand, it works so much better. I'll take a couple with me to guitar shows if I have mandolins to sell.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-using case stickers

Hey, I'm a knucklehead too! :) My original sticker had simply worn away. I was happy to pick up my latest "I'm a Knucklehead" sticker when I last saw Hot Rize (farewell tour).
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickguard material?

available up to 3/8"

https://www.professionalplastics.com/FISHPAPER
  17. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I still think the Zeidler mandolin made by the late John Zeidler of Philadelphia is one of the nicest mandolins I've held. He had just finished one and handed it to me to check out. It seems so...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Applaud Ken Ratcliff

Hats off to Ken! What a noble gesture. I was going to send in my photo plus sound clip but I didn't think he'd fall for it, lol!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Plane the fretboard or...

If it were mine, I would first pull the frets, go ahead with planing it, checking frequently to see how much I was able to take out while checking the binding to see if it's very noticeable. You may...
  20. Re: Mandolin Cafe Member Bogle Has Passed Away

Sympathies to Bogle's family and friends, and to all of his fellow members here on the cafe.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Oh give me a home where the mice do not roam...
    What a surprise it was to find all of this stuff inside of this little Regal guitar. I will be doing some repair work around the sound hole among...
  22. Re: Regal Musical Instruments: Volume 2: Addendum and Errata

Here's a pic of a Regal made Continental reverse scroll mandolin that I did a little work on a while back. It sounded very good.
  23. Re: Regal Musical Instruments: Volume 2: Addendum and Errata

Thanks Mike, Bob Carlin is pretty cool. I will have to get a copy. I've come to really like the Regal brand. Here's a Regal I picked up to restore.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mystery Croatian Instrument

I've sold a few of the tamburitza instruments, my buyers were from the Pittsburgh area and were involved with the Croatian musical community. It was all prim and proper :)
  25. Re: Ultimate Vintage Snakeheadedness and Chocolatey Goodness

I've covered 2 old A case handles now with thin black leather. I made a curved template and used a household sewing machine to sew one half. I hand stitched the other side and was pretty pleased with...
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4