Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Slotting fingerboards

I use a .0236 two flute bit for slots and the final pass on the inlay. I use a 1.5mm bit to "clear" my inlay pockets. My feed rate is 25 IPM, depth of cut is .009 per pass, plunge is 15 IPM and rpm...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Slotting fingerboards

I sell fingerboards. I buy preslotted, radiused boards and inlay them on my cnc. I can't justify the cost and time to slot them on my own cnc unless I'm in a time crunch and/or have a unique scale...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Buzzing amp

Wow. Where to begin.... First thing I'd do is plug it in to a different amp to make sure its not amp oriented. If it plays clean through another amp then the instrument isn't the problem. If not...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie Builds an Electric Mandolin

I use regular Titebond in the red bottle. Epoxy isn't necessary.
  5. Replies
    Views

I do a glued, set neck. My joints are 2"Lx1.5"Wx.75"D. I've never had a problem with gluing them in. Only reason I'd go with a bolt on necks is if you aren't confident in your neck angle and thin...
  6. Re: Does Gibson have a website for it's mandolins?

Everytime I've been in to Carters the last couple years, there has been a sign that said room is closed for video shoot.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying directly from a luthier

I'd ask if there is a warranty and what it does and doesn't include. I'd try and get it in writing. I'd also ask if there were an approval period and what the terms of return would be. Get a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 5-string mandolin for beginner?

The issue with string tension on a standard scale 5 string mandolin is that its hard to get a good balance across the strings. My experience has been that there is no middle range but only extremes,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 5-string mandolin for beginner?

Reach out to John L. Smith. He'd be my first choice in that price range. I'd also recommend Belmuse. He's higher than your budget but less then a Mann. I'd also recommend the Kentucky five strings...
  10. Replies
    Views

It doesn't really matter. I've done it before and after. Its more a function of what tools you have to fret with and if you feel comfortable carving a neck after having fretted it. In regards to...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Rick Turner has passed into Eternity

Rick and I butted heads on a number of occasions and I'm a better builder for it.
  12. Re: Getting A-E strings volume balanced on 8 string solid?

Why not buy a pickup with individual pole pieces?
  13. Re: Pickup replacement options now that Almuse has retired?

Pete and I developed a working relationship many years ago when his pickup business was in its infancy and he was gracious enough to provide me with the necessary info and tooling to wind pickups...
  14. Re: Replacement humbucker pickup for Eastman El Rey Lollar

I worked with Eastwood many years ago on a new bridge design, it wasn't a very positive experience although I did get a free instrument out of the deal.
  15. Re: Replacement humbucker pickup for Eastman El Rey Lollar

There are going to be some new pickup makers in the near future as builders like myself make the transition with Pete's retirement.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Retirement....Time to take it easy!

Nope. Can't do it. Not allowed. We're all going to pretend that you didn't post that and you'll go right back to the bench after having had a pint or two. :)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Fender conversion neck

I have the Fender Tele tenor neck programmed for my cnc if you would like to discuss please contact me outside of this thread. Don't want to break any of Scott's rules. :)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Flight Pathfinder Tenor Uke as Mandola

You should play around with an online string tension calculator to see what the tension would be. I suspect that it isn't going to be less with a 17" compared to a 23".
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Headphone pre-amp suggestions

I used to install these, along with an input jack for MP3 player, in electric mandolins. You could listen to yourself play as well as run backing tracks through it to play against. ...
  20. Re: Were Regal Octofones the first mass-produced octave mandolins

I've built two of these. Here is my bracing pattern. I really liked the H pattern which I stole from Graham McDonald. I also included a photo of the "basket case" that I took dimensions. It sat...
  21. Re: Were Regal Octofones the first mass-produced octave mandolins

These are fun instruments. The originals were very lightly built with birch and haven't aged well. I've built a couple based on hand drawings that I made on one that fell apart after going through a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tipping a Luthier

As a builder, I don't expect it. I too have had a few people insist to overpay me for something but I could count that on one hand. As a tipper, I tend to only tip employees and not owners of...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner with new Gold Tone GME-5 questions

I commonly see 48's on the C string for a standard scale. Question is whether it is actually standard or not. Try a flatwound.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: First E-Mandolin build

Its looking good.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: First E-Mandolin build

A couple comments based on your posts.. I target 3/4-7/8" thick at the first fret(includes fretboard) and 1" at the 16th fret(my neck joint). I like for the fretboard to be 1/16" proud of the top. ...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4