Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Improvising

Improvisation is different from composing. If it's not, we need a different word for 'composing'. You can revise when you compose, and you can't revise when you improvise, which leads to a reliance...
  2. Re: Help! I can't hear the beat when I play a break

If you can play steadily with a backing track or a metronome, you can play with a band– how sure are you that you're the problem? A don't know how advanced your family is, but some beginner groups...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Not all Collings hold their value

This is extremely common for musical instrument companies- they don't want their dealers to undercut each other and race to the bottom. If you don't sell at their price -- or at least advertise at...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Not all Collings hold their value

Glad I'm not the only one who is always thinking of my 'instrument per hour' price when I'm playing. I've got a weird old mandola and some other oddballs that are probably still around $40 an hour or...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Solved an Amateur Lutherie Trap

Interesting! I know a couple local guys that use sandpaper as their last step. Lots of way to skin a cat, though.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Halloween Costume

Yeah, but a CT 55? That's a mandolin nerd pick.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: (in)definitive chord guides

This (the second one) is the Marshall DVD that I think is very good for mandolin chords: 171083

It used to be about the price of a single mandolin lesson with an average teacher, and for me it was...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: (in)definitive chord guides

What books are you using? You can use different fingerings within shapes, the only rule is that it makes sense in context and works for your anatomy.

In the early stages, I think it's good to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Well, she’s here...

That filter you're using is making it look blue.
  10. Re: Proper form for playing B major shape chords on mandolin

Man, you're spot-on about that. I'm always amazed when I go through a songbook and see all these interesting rare shapes- it's like the music version of driving twenty miles of backroads to avoid an...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Prodigious and Sophisticated Musicians

Absolutely, this is a mysterious talent that seems to need a specific combination of empathy, knowledge, and generosity. Unfortunately, this isn't a prerequisite for becoming a teacher.
  12. Re: Playing longer scale mandos gets progressively more impossibl

Yeah, I would agree they are. For a while I was playing a lot of swing on a tenor guitar and the scale length and tuning definitely forced me into certain patterns. I ended up playing out of closed...
  13. Re: The great 440 Hz conspiracy, and why all of our music is wron

Regarding Guido, I don't think this is quite right. Moveable Do as we think of it is something that presupposes the existence of different keys and uses Moveable Do to allow singers to sing in a...
  14. Re: The great 440 Hz conspiracy, and why all of our music is wron

If we're talking about reference pitches, we're necessarily talking about Fixed Do. I don't know when that happened (i.e. when it got 'fixed'), but I am surprised to read that it seems to have...
  15. Re: The great 440 Hz conspiracy, and why all of our music is wron

I still think it's a "weirdo" fluke of history that the pitch we use for reference isn't the Do (C) at the center of Western harmony, regardless of Hz. I assume countries that use the Roman letter...
  16. Re: The great 440 Hz conspiracy, and why all of our music is wron

Well, at least it's the first note of the alphabet. What kind of weirdo system chooses an A natural minor scale as its easiest-to-write scale and then has everybody start with the third mode of it?
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about minor scales

It depends on how steeped you are in Aebersold-style "chord scale" theory, which I think has been the prevailing academic way of teaching jazz since the '80s. They have a billion scales. I had all my...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Did string technology imrove?

I do a lot of restrings at work, and my anecdotal evidence is that most broken strings are 1) beginner tuning accidents, 2) teenagers beating the hell out of instruments (you broke the *low* E?) or...
  19. Re: Let’s talk about this guy learning blues guitar in a month.

That's really interesting. Kind of a weird thing though... like, the guy was a concert musician (in percussion, presumably including pitched instruments like marimba) and clearly had a very good...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: My 1940 Kalamazoo "Oriole"

That's a very pretty guitar, congrats. If Waterloo made a tenor they're put that pickguard on it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Is there a personal limitation for speed?

I think this was a good post. The speed question seems to come up mostly from people who want to play in genres that are so fast that you get a sense of exhilaration when you listen- gypsy jazz,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm cringing...

There's a twenty minute cutscene of Kristoff in a guitar shop on the Blu-Ray. Luthier: "Oh, see, this is a classic example of wolf defense damage. Stew-Mac makes a tool just for this."
  23. Re: Old Mandolins--How Long Are They Worth Playing?

This is the main issue I've noticed. I talked to handsome and famous luthier Frank Ford about this, in reference to a teens mandola I purchased. His view at the time was that if the top hadn't...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

I live in the south bay and have heard about the mandolins at Cafe Trieste but have never been in the city at the right time to hear them. I'll have to make a point of going soon. It's funny how the...
  25. Re: How am I different from all the other mandolinists? (ruminati

"I want people to hear me play. More people, I mean.

I'm playing in a couple groups, and that's good. So what else can I do? What have I to offer to the world that is different, that makes people...
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4