Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Grommets vs damper on tailpiece

A piece of leather or felt under the tailpiece cover will stop the ringing and be invisible, also won't fall off when you change strings. I have had it on my mandolins for decades.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Man....I had a blue guitar...

Very nice! The color of your new Morris reminds me of some of the tones of blue used for The Blue Collection, which consists of archtop guitars built by the top archtop builders in the world.
    Here...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

Banjo mandolin.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing at outside wedding

To answer your question about the tonegard, in your scenario, it’s not going to make a significant difference. Others may differ but that’s my humble opinion.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Case - WHAT! - NMC

Sorry you feel that way but it does not need to be aired on this forum.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Rotosound strings

Couldn't resist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPZQNtZ87o
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickguards - remove or not?

Except it has failed the blind test every time. This has been discussed for years here.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: white rabbit / molly tuttle

Well, if you read the notes in the video, this was recorded at last year's Suwannee Hulaween Festival, held on Halloween weekend. That explains the costumes. Also, Molly is from the same CA town as...
  9. Re: Moved from medium to light strings. Now I have a slight buzz

Whatever you do, don't turn that truss rod adjustment too much. I believe that a quarter turn would be max. Frankly I would try raising the bridge a bit with the truss rod as last resort. And even...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The mandolin: Instrument of the year, 2023

The Classical Period in Western music history was the time of Mozart, Haydn, young Beethoven, etc.

However most people casually use the term to cover the entire Western Art music tradition, which...
  11. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

I sure can, as can almost everyone. I can also think of many that can read music.

I'll put my own experience in practical terms.

I have a friend that plays several musical styles with me.
  12. Re: How to make the perfect round-corned pick

Like a Golden Gate IMHO.

Dave H
  13. Re: What do Famous Musicians Recommend about Practicing?

Pablo Casals, in his 80s, was asked why he still practiced 4 to 5 hours a day, said: "Because I think I am making progress."
  14. Re: Is a solid back generally considered better than bookended?

If you are asking if the tone would be better for one or the other I will say there would not be any difference except appearance.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Lighter strings for beginners?

If the magnets limit the strings movement they are pulling the string out of tune. Magnetic pickups allow for lighter strings because you don't have to drive the top or play hard for volume, you...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: How long do you guys remember songs?

"Amoeba, I just met a girl named Amoeba. Contentedly she sits and suddenly she splits in two."

f-d
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: String squeak (guitar)

Half round and flat wound strings are & have been a thing for decades... ~o)
  18. Re: How often should my mandolin need to be tuned?

If fretting a note always puts you out of tune, you should check your intonation. Your bridge position is likely slightly off.
  19. Re: How often should my mandolin need to be tuned?

A mandolin needs to be tuned when it goes out of tune, ' simples '

Dave H
  20. Re: Why are some songs not written in the key they are in?

Actually, it is probably easier to read normal tonal music when there is a key signature. The advantage is that if the composer throws in a note that is NOT part of the scale that the piece is...
  21. Thread: Pick Talk

by Dave Hanson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Talk

I use either the Dawg or a Golden Gate.

Dave H
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Live Mic for Mandolin Recommendations

So just wondering, if you are just practicing and no one is listening why does everyone need to be so loud. Maybe instead of you being louder everyone else needs to turn it down (playing loud does...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Useful Tip For Changing Strings

The string tensions are not so different that *which* single string is swapped is going to make a difference (IMO). So, if I’m only changing strings, I do them a course at a time, e.g., the G...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: A basic classical piece

Nice tips guys. I’ve also been toying with Erik Satie’s Gnossiennes and Gymnopedies. Almost too simple as a development piece but so entrancing.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the best way to dust my fretboard?

Just take a rag and slide it between the frets and the strings.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4