Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson string anchoring at tailpiece

This is from Gibson's catalog Q 1928:

Those extra hooks were meant to prevent plain strings from slipping, since, back in the day, the loops on plain strings weren't really well executed,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush Master Model as opposed to F5

Yes, my serial number is 10348017. No V; it’s definitely a lacquer.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Barely Used Eastmans

An added benefit of this is that you find out how much your family and neighbors really love you.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Café classifieds

I really don't need to get into discussing this further and I'm already on record stating the decision is not going to be an invitation for a public forum on opinions. The banjo community has been...
  5. Re: How often should my mandolin need to be tuned?

Not certain, but think harpsichords needed a lot of tuning until the first one with an iron frame was requested. My relative, the tuner for a serious venue, though, has to tune the big Steinways for...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 unrelated mando questions

If your tuner has a mic/vib switch, try switching it to microphone instead of vibration.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The beginnings of MAS - What's next?

My thinking on acquiring or turning over instruments is summed up as 1) Is my present instrument right for the music I play? 2) Is my present instrument somehow less than is called for by my skill...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's talk small, high-end, acoustic amps

I used the smaller AER Alpha amp for a couple of years. It's a great little amp with very good build quality, and I'm sure the 60/40 would be even better.

However and for what it's worth... for...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: new Neumann kk14 clip on

This is interesting, especially the price point at $300 USD. That's half the cost of the DPA 4099, which is something of an industry standard for this application. I have several and like them, but...
  10. Thread: Volume vs Tone

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Volume vs Tone

I fully agree with James here. The differences anmong players are far larger than differences between reasonably good instruments. You can learn how to nudge the sound to be heard better a bit by...
  11. Replies
    Views

I go for volume every time.

Oops. Correction:

I go for volume every time!
  12. Replies
    Views

When I choose a mandolin, volume is a main consideration, along with tone and playability. If you can't hear it, why bother?
  13. Re: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

I think that we all can agree on one thing: The Punch Bros. - like them or not - are world class musicians that can dance circles around your hitparade star musician that may be on the media every...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Hoffee Cases In Pictures

I had heard there were a few out there, but didn't know where or how many. Yours is beautiful!
  15. Re: Tips for chording with a hard(ish) pick?

Absolutely this! When I started out the pick rotation thing was driving me crazy. I tried different picks and even tried to fix it into place with duct tape.

Eventually the problem just went away...
  16. Replies
    Views

In Praise of Matt Flinner's Classes

Matt Flinner has some new classes starting in January, 2 Old Time classes, and Advanced Fiddle Tunes and Improv. If you haven't experienced instruction by a master teacher, this is a great...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Only change ONE string at a time!!

It's a good idea to clean your fretboard every time you grease your truss rod bearings.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Definitive DPA mount

It's completely removable. Right, the foot slides into the piece attached to the tailpiece cover. The piece is glued with Pattex Xtreme and the glue is painted with silver marker. These pics will...
  19. Replies
    Views

Seasonal Sight Reading Challenge

Hint: It's a lot easier if you put a capo on the second fret.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like F styles. Anyone else?

You forgot mandolins opening up/waking up :))
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: more accurate clip on tuner than Snark?

Unitune is the next best thing to a Peterson. It can be a regular tuner or a more accurate strobe tuner. They are also not too expensive, $28.99 at Sweetwater. The Polytune is more expensive and not...
  22. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Shure SM81 would be a great choice in your price range as is Shure KSM 137. Personally I would not recommend Rode NT5. It's a great mic for the money but personally I always prefer more flat response...
  23. Replies
    Views

"Little Pine Siskin" with two mandos

Stefan and I had a pretty good time last weekend sitting on a tree over a small river playing John Reischmans tune. Stefan plays his 2014 Northfield F5M and I play my 1916 F2.
    This was while a...
  24. nice comparison of two NF Big Mons-englemann vs Red spruce tops

I have watched Derek play before, he has a smooth, clear, precise touch. Nice mandolins both, a person would be quite happy with either I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3lBs9QK1rs
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What are your go-to crowd pleasers?

Usually a crowd pleaser when I stop playing!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4