Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s happening here?

Or maybe a case of you get what you pay for? It was worth £3, though!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas came early for me too!

Good for you. Lucky lad!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: A Picture is worth a thousand words

Can't complain that it's not comprehensive!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gig: Restaurant Mandolinist

Think, Elvis-"It's Now or Never" (for O Sole Mio) and make sure you don't swivel the hips too much!

And for Return to Sorrento, think Elvis "So My Darling Please Surrender"

With all these...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New Gig: Restaurant Mandolinist

O Sole Mio and Return to Sorrento, of course. And how about The Entertainer and Never on a Sunday?
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile Signing Mandolins?

I once saw a customer on the TV show Pawn Stars, going into the Vegas pawnshop with a somewhat beaten-up guitar he wanted to sell - for a lot of money. "It's signed by Chuck Berry," said the...
  7. Thread: Bowlback mando

by Tezzerh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlback mando

Earlier this year I asked on the Forum "Do I need a bowlback?" It sparked a lively discussion and I soon decided that I did need a bowlback. I bought a vintage Ceccherini restored by Forum member...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Adding picking to my strumming

I don't play in a band - just for my own amusement! Surely that applies to many users of this forum.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Adding picking to my strumming

Same here. In fact, I've never been a fan of chord playing whether on guitar, banjo or mandolin. I find a melody much more satisfying to play and far easier on the ear. Picking a tune I know well by...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn? I need some advice!

Don Julin's book, Mandolin For Dummies, is excellent.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a bowlback?

In my original post on this thread, I asked 'Do I need a bowlback?' Well, after all the comments, I decided I did need one. In fact, I desperately wanted one! MAS? So I'm getting a Ceccherini...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a bowlback?

Some really interesting, indeed fascinating stuff here. Thanks all. Now I know I definitely DO need a bowlback! A couple more queries to follow my original post. Can you fit a strap to a bowlback?...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Why I Don't Listen To Country Music.

Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Hank Thompson, Ferlin Husky, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash and Moe Bandy. I listen to them all the time - and much of the stuff is well over 50 years old. Simply unbeatable.
  14. Thread: Starting over.

by Tezzerh
    Replies
    Views

Re: Starting over.

I second what Denny Gies says, particularly about learning a new tune. I, too, have Mandolin For Dummies, and swear by it. To get over my latest plateau (number 354, I reckon!), I turned to page 264...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie introduction :)

I figure I can compare it with the mando arriving on Wednesday and return the one I like less (or not! lol)

Crikey! Two mandolins already and you've not started playing yet. Never heard of a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Mandolin Review

Can't see any mention of an Eastman 305 here so far. I've had mine nine months now and love it. I know it's hardly top of the range, but to me it's beautiful - not least because it has a matt finish!...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: First three tunes/songs you learned first

Oklahoma Hills, Red River Valley and Must I Ever Be A Lonesome Cowboy? (old Elvis song - still sounds good when I play it, he said modestly).
  18. Replies
    Views

Finally made it to the Cafe!

Hello, everyone. I've been tinkering with mandolins for about three years now and have finally joined Mandolin Cafe. It certainly seems a lively forum, and I reckon I'll pick up some useful tips...