Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: A customer playing a baroque mandolin I built

I guess that is what Vivaldi heard in his head when he wrote that concerto. Very cool.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Roger Siminoff’s new book

An echo of the above post. In addition to being both nice and knowledgeable, Roger Siminoff is a very capable writer. He recognizes that he has written a book for a small audience. I hope that the...
  3. Re: John Hartford Aereoplane Band Jam Session

Tut Taylor also had a Loar, and played it on some of the Aeroplane recordings. That Loar ended up in the hands of the late Hershel Sizemore.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Modernizing an A-4. Yes or No?

In the few minutes I have free every day from mando practice I maintain and drive an old (1965) British car. The questions raised in this discussion are frequently the ones brought up in the 'classic...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes in "F"

Mississippi Waltz is a wonderful tune in F major that is rarely heard outside of my house.
    My favorite F minor tune is Gnossienne #1 by Eric Satie. Four flats (count 'em). Written for piano, it is...
  6. Re: the Lloyd Loar F5s: in the 1920s and today

I have a very strong sense that LL knew he was responsible for something special in the F5 Master Model. He was an excellent musician, and a very bright guy. I also believe that he knew he was 'ahead...
  7. Re: Bill Monroe talks about his Lloyd Loar in an interview

The damage was in late 1985, and the return to WSM was in February 1986, I believe. $5K for a Loar would have been a really nice deal. I think the asking prices were upwards of $40K at that time....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Strings for an F4 - Medium Okay?

I have had J74s or EXP74s on my 1913 F2 for many years, with no deleterious effects on the instrument. It has always been a stable instrument; I might not want to put those same strings on a more...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin orchestra library. Help!

Thanks all, especially John G.
    We are making progress now, and I hope to report back how we successfully resolved this issue!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin orchestra library. Help!

Thanks to all respondents. We would also like to digitize the library. There are currently 588 titles cataloged, with a few more yet to be listed, for a total of about 600 titles. We do have a list...
  11. Replies
    Views

mandolin orchestra library. Help!

The Louisville Mandolin Orchestra has been active in the Louisville area since 1988, and continues on in spite of the viral pandemic. In those 33+ years we have accumulated a large library of...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Larger frets for 1920 Gibson A-4

If you play classical mando in the upper registers, you may wish you had the old thin frets for more precise notation. A or F style
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: First song to learn on mandolin

A simple tune, but one appropriate for these last several months, would be the first tune I learned from my father over 60 years ago: The Chinese Breakdown.
  14. Re: What are your favorite albums featuring mandolin?

Camptown by Joe Craven (1995). To say he is a multi-instrumentalist would be an understatement
  15. Replies
    Views

RIP Uncle Willie K

Willie K, virtuoso multi-instrumentalist and singer, died last night at his home in Maui at age 59, following a two year struggle with small-cell lung cancer. If you were lucky enough to have seen...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Lester 'Road Hog' Moran

I don't know how many times I have seen that clip with Ralph Emery. Always makes me laugh. But my absolute favorite skit concerned Buford, the barber, who could not be there that night because he had...
  17. Replies
    Views

Lester 'Road Hog' Moran

Harold Reid, or Lester 'Road Hog' Moran, died on Friday April 24 at the age of 80. His was the deep bass voice of the Statler Brothers on many albums, and, memorably, the leader of the Cadillac...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Crossword Puzzle

Scott Many thanks for the x-word effort. Rarely do two of my obsessions-mando and crossword puzzles-become united into one such pleasurable exercise. In the name of Will Shortz I plead for another!...
  19. Re: Has Anyone Received Stimulus Check? (Possible Mandolin Conten

I am retired, and I have my money safely invested in the stock market! Only government checks I get are Social Security (aka 'the Sosh'). So things are pretty good. I even found out that my local...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: 1913 A1 thoughts

My 1913 F-2 made it through the 'White Lady' unscathed. My grandfather dodged the bullet by being discharged from training camp in 1917, because of degenerative disease in his knee. Sent back to...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: When You First . . .

That would have to be my father, beginning over 60 years ago. He got his mando in the mid '30s from 'Monkey Wards'. I started fooling around with it after listening to his playing, mostly OTM....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 75 Gibson F-5

I have a '75 F5 which I purchased over 30 years ago. It had a dull sound with no projection, regardless of what strings I used, or how hard
    I played. But it was structurally sound, and attractive...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Late 30s Regal/Wards F hole archtop

Here is my father with his 30s F style Chicago mando, circa 1935. He paid $25 for it through M-W catalog. Reverse scroll looks similar to the one shown in the catalog photo above
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Late 30s Regal/Wards F hole archtop

Thanks for posting about this mando NickR. I too have one of these treasures. My father bought it from Monkey Ward in the mid30s, for the reported price of $25. I started playing on it in the late...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: 1977 Gibson F-5 Questions

I have a '75 F5 that I purchased almost 30 years ago. It was a real dog. Quiet and dull. Had my luthier revoice it and install real tone bars (rather than the #2 pencils it was born with). The top...
Page 1 of 2 1 2