Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Play better when alone

Rip off that band-aid! Play where people walking by can hear you, but aren't really paying attention to you. Then, play with a small circle of people at about your same level and whom you know well...
  2. D'Addario's new Chris Thile signature mandolin pick

I recently got in one of the new Chris Thile signature mandolin picks from D'Addario (Model 2CA7-01CT), which are currently retailing for $25 apiece. That's fairly expensive for a single pick, but...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to play with one less finger

Sorry to hear you're going through this.

Here's an example of handling this kind of situation, maybe it will help...

= = = = =

I'm 65, played banjo for about 50 years and mandolin on and off...
  4. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Strings and setup

You may experience some binding in the nut. Also the action at the nut could be a little higher if they don't fit in the slots.
  6. Replies
    Views

It depends on the mandolin and how it is set up currently. There may be no noticeable effect. I don't know what you are playing, but I suggest the odds are very small that you will notice a setup...
  7. Replies
    Views

No direct experience with 74's and 75's in quite a few years, but I've been switching back and forth between Mangan mediums (BG series, 11.5 to 41) and lights (10 to 36) for the last several months,...
  8. Replies
    Views

I found the J-75s were tougher on my left hand, with sore fingertips and finger cramping after a bit of playing, and that's with fairly low action. I like the Flat Tops better for more comfortable...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Weighty Question

Yeah, it's a never ending debate.

I continue to look for that unbiased human being and for that mechanical sound collection and measuring device (especially microphones) that was designed and made...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: To Gibson or not?

There is wisdom in the statement that if you really can't hear a difference save the money.

My view is to avoid any thinking about investment. It leads to ridiculous behavior like not playing...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Lacquer to varnish?

Catalyzed finish. They are very durable. They also tend to be pretty brittle compared to instrument lacquers and varnishes. Instrument lacquer, such as available from Mohawk, have plasticizers (sp?)...
  12. Replies
    Views

Don't touch the lacquer! If it's valued at $8k, it must be by a good luthier. Lacquer cracks and crazes, shrinks and color shifts as it ages. But because if its composition, it becomes integrated...
  13. Replies
    Views

Another option is to sell,trade it for a new, shiny one. Lots of risk in having it refinished.
  14. Replies
    Views

Ditto everything John said.

In addition, the color from black lacquer often penetrates into the wood. And even with clear lacquer finishes, the sealing coats penetrate into the wood. To...
  15. Replies
    Views

Several things come to mind here:
    -Rule #1 when doing finish touch-up or refinish work: It is always easier to make it look worse than to make it look better.
    -Black lacquer (or black finishes in...
  16. Replies
    Views

I’m sure some folks will claim it will open up more. I wouldn’t count on it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Do what makes you happy.

Btw, my 00-21 has a very crazed top, rest of the...
  17. Replies
    Views

IMO..Id love it for what it is.
  18. Thread: Weighty Question

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

There is a vast difference between the measurable reality of sound produced and the perceived reality. If one could scientifically measure and quantify what good tone is, and perhaps it can be done,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Actually, I'm afraid that your recollection of these experiments is not quite right. Yes, some of the very same brain areas 'light up' in fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) studies where...
  20. Replies
    Views

The question you asked in the original post brings to mind the scientific experiments done over the years in the field of psychology and perception. Using all of the tools available for measuring...
  21. Replies
    Views

Sorry, but I cannot agree that the consensus of opinions expressed on the MC is mainly explained by some kind of "observation bias," namely, that people will tend to report whatever works for them...
  22. Replies
    Views

I suspect reporting success and failure is the same here as anywhere else. Folks are not generally so keen to report that they tried something and that it made a situation no different or worse,...
  23. Replies
    Views

new (used) mandolin

sadly, her in norway, getting ahold of a proper mandolin, isnt very easy. I did recently, however, manage to get a weber aspen 1 in mint condition, and so my journey from a low-end mandolin (cort...
  24. Replies
    Views

One reason the results we hear are almost always positive is that people who go to the expense of buying something which has a negative effect on their playing often don't care to share that they...
  25. Replies
    Views

I spent over a month not using the toneguards on my mandolins. I suspected that toneguards act much as a shoulder rest on a violin does tonally speaking. The voice of both instruments is changed by...
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4