Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Vega Cylinderback Plectrum

I swear I thought this was a photoshop joke. Vega Cylinderback Plectrum.

On the Gryphon Strings web site, they explained:

Here is the description on eBay:
  2. What to do about a big increase in my mandolin’s value?

Several years ago, I splurged about $3k on a McClanahan F style. This seemed to be the entry level price for a handmade instrument at the time. I added it to my homeowner insurance and then treated...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: (in)definitive chord guides

I came across Jethro Burns' book and it was an eye opener for me to see that there were only 3 shapes you needed to play 3 voicings over every major chord.

My advice would be to learn only 3 major...
  4. Replies
    Views

This is great. Thanks. I'm eager to look into these resources!
  5. Replies
    Views

Hi Mandolinner, here’s my advice—not as an expert, by any stretch, but as a beginner like you. I started learning mandolin almost a year ago. I’m also a long-failing fiddler (but I won’t concede...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Dobro Mandolin setup

I have a 1930's regal spider bridge. I use Newtone .008's on it. The intonation was WAY off when I got it. I ended up machining some metal off the lower three spider legs, re-drilling the hole for...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Dobro Mandolin setup

Not familiar with all the brands you're considering, but I'd stick to lighter gauges. I have them on my '30's Dobro mandolin.

You could get a custom-built cover plate with a lower profile, at...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Blohm Handel Tuner Replicas

Here's a pic of the ebony inlaid buttons

9. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the knock against polyurethane?

As a lifelong professional finisher (NOT instrument builder nor luthier) I keep up with a lot of these posts but rarely dare to chime in.

When making a general statement like this one, it's not...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you think this mandola has top sink?

"Gibson didn't brace the H1s and H2s for the long haul . . ."

Well, maybe yes and maybe no, but the most frequent causes of top sinkage on these old mandolas [and mandolins] is:
    1. The...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Safe buying on Reverb?

We need to make an observation here, then we'll butt out.

The official position is the Cafe has no problem with Reverb as a service. We allow people to link to their Reverb sales as we do Craig's...
  12. Replies
    Views

'sorry. I couldn't resist.

https://i.imgur.com/tf74Uu2.jpg
  13. Re: Shallar F style reverse (turn normal) tuners.

Once you have tried the new Schaller GrandTune mandolin tuners you will never go back to the old Schallers. It has taken a while, but I have finally got 3 sets of the GrandTune tuners and one set is...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Beautiful Regal Bowlback I found

Samuel Siegel was a mandolin star of the turn of the 19th-20th centuries. He was a Regal endorser. This does look like a moderately fancy Regal esp with the inlaid logo and ornate fretboard inlays,...
  15. Replies
    Views

MAS in remission

It's amazing how a change in finances can affect MAS. (Well, really, it's not all that amazing when you think about it.)

The finances haven't changed dramatically but they will. Eddie Blevins in...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is this posted here???

The average mandolin player's take from the tip jar at a Labor Day gig?
  17. Replies
    Views

Lick of the Day

Hey there everybody! Dan from Mandolins and Beer here! Been a while! I’ve started playing music pretty much full time now and have been working on something I call Lick of the Day.

I’ve been...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: How to do a black top finish

The advantage to French polish over spraying shellac is that it produces a beautiful finish when very thin, which makes the top responsive, but if you rely entirely on the shellac to provide color...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin thought for the day

My kids gave me a T shirt that says "All I Care About Is MY MANDOLIN and like maybe 3 people". I do get stares.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin thought for the day

My grandson was into doing custom T shirts and I`ll check and see if he still does them and if he does maybe I`ll be posting some for sale in the classifieds....

Willie
  21. Replies
    Views

At "the factory", we sprayed clear finish over Dutch Boy flat black rattle can paint. They had a test piece with the clear finish (catalyzed varnish) sprayed over a bunch of different hardware store...
  22. Replies
    Views

Since black doesnt need to show the wood grain, a nice little trick for sharp binding edges, is to first spray a few clear coats. Sand somewhat smooth. Then spray your black coat. Then scrape the...
  23. Replies
    Views

I have always read that the bare wood should be sealed first before applying any stains as to prevent a blotchy finish. I like the idea of using a Dye mixed with alcohol since my top finish will be...
  24. Replies
    Views

This is clear shellac with black alcohol-soluble dye added. Brushed on, wet sanded to level and then hand buffed.

It would have made my life easier if I'd dyed the wood black first, as this finish...
  25. Replies
    Views

I've used black wood dye (probably labelled as "ebony" coloured in the store), then finished over with shellac or endurovar. You can get a deeper black if your dye is mixable with your finish and...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4