Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Amazing Mandola Alert

I played yours for a bit right before they shut down for COVID-19 (I think it might have been the day before!). It was indeed very nice; left me wishing they had a Passernig Mandolin for me to try....
  2. Re: Should I consider a very early B.R.W. (Ben Wilcox)?

Ha, I had the same thought about Thile's Dudes.

I did talk to Ben, and he said in general the arching varied from instrument to instrument early on; it wasn't until later that he sort of...
  3. Re: Kentucky KM-750 or The Loar LM-520-VS for 11yo?

Can't comment on which of the two you should go with, but personally if he has been learning on a radiused fret board I would hold out for something with a radiused fret board. I know there are...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis, Pava, or Collings MT2

I've been doing a lot of research on the same types of A-style mandolins the past few months, and, to my shame, have probably read most of the threads about mandolins in this class from the past few...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What made you start playing mandolin?

Listened to Nickel Creek's first album on a car ride in 8th grade with a College student helping out with our youth group. From the first clear notes Thile played on "Ode to a Butterfly" I was hooked...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: My new Eastman Mandola

I played a collings mandola with a 16" scale and really loved that first position mandolin fingering pretty much transferred without a hitch. Haven't played a larger scale to see whether I would like...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a pick up?

My guess is that your luthier could fix it quite cheaply if it's just loose in some way, it would save you the hassle of being without it. If it's some other issue though, Eastman should do it for...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile: Too Many Notes!!

I think the point is this: if you do not like it, why would you bother to post to say "I don't like it?" What does that accomplish? Someone shares a video that they enjoyed so that others can...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying Above Your Playing Ability?

The cynical, selfish side of me thinks that you can buy an instrument that you don't deserve, because I feel I deserve a better instrument. But then again, who doesn't? ;) Part of my problem is that...
  10. Re: What problem was Lloyd Loar trying to fix?

Thanks for this! Mr. Loar puts to words my personal reasoning for preferring the f-hole sound vs. oval holes or particularly bowlbacks, the overtone content has something to do with it. To my ear the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile Bach CD has Landed

Bratsche, I have nothing against critical analysis of a musical performance. Your second statement of your feelings on the matter is much more subjective and respectful toward the musician. It would...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile Bach CD has Landed

[/QUOTE]Don't get me wrong, some violinists do this too, and I think the same thing when they do as well. It's lazy, because it's taking the "path of least resistance" with the notes.
  13. Re: My Bach S&P's recording: I'm gonna do it next weekend....help

Jim, Thanks for posting that rendition of the fugue! Nice contrast to Thile's that I've listened to dozens of times already, and on an American mandolin. In general I can't get into the sound of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Voight F-Style #10

Excellent. You are a pretty good player with similar right hand characteristics to myself which is what audio samples always lack for me. I can never tell how the instrument might really sound if I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The moment we have all been waiting for!

Much of what you describe is most likely Thile's choice of how to interpret the piece on the mandolin. The tempo is almost certainly one such choice. Our instrument has little sustain, a slower tempo...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile Bach album

As someone who spends most practice time on a quest to learn more and more of the Sonatas and Partitas, this is a recording I have been waiting for a very long time (at least to someone of only...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Steve Martin's Lloyd Loar F5

Because it is an instrument to be played and used. I like Thile's perspective on this with his Loar, it is an instrument rather than a museum piece. After all, in the end it is just one of a very...