Only a Gibson is good enough...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The Smallest of Prayers

I enjoyed the song! Thanks for posting.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Stereo mic question-Avantone ck40

I have owned a CK-40 for several years. It has a nice sound, but one of the capsules seems to be louder than the other on my unit. Adjusting the level slightly resolves the issue. Tried contacting...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Robot Mandolin Player

What kind of pick was it using?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: check out Billy Strings meeting his match

Sierra and Molly are great, but Billy Strings is just a fantastic soloist. On another level.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: A Pickup that Works for Me

Ugh, I would never strap/putty/tape all that stuff to my mandolin no matter how good the pickup sounds. So many invisible options on the market that sound great. If you want a floating magnetic...
  7. Re: Guitar Guy Has Bad First Mandolin Purchase Experience

$899 doesn't sound like a great deal for a used 515. I would recommend getting a new one for $1000 from The Mandolin Store. They would set it up and it will be ready to play when you receive it. I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Goodbye Mandola

I have many instruments I don't play regularly but hold on to them for the most part. Many have sentimental value and have been with me for decades. Others haven't been with me for as long but I...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: E String Loops Slipping at Tension

For what it's worth, I also had this issue with 2 sets of Elixir strings a few years ago. I reported it and they were nice enough to send a few sets to me. I experienced it on a Gibson tailpiece as...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: It has arrived!!

Your new mandolin will certainly fear no picks!!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Got my Breedlove off lawaway!

That is a beautiful mandolin. I've been having some Breedlove MAS lately in part due to your posts about this one. (iMO) one of the coolest things about your mando is the way they did the fret...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Eight strings good, ten strings better

Allen, that fanned fret mandolinola is really cool, I bet it sounds great.
  13. Thread: JIm

by Jeff Budz
    Replies
    Views

Re: JIm

I love this thread title.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F5G mahogony, not ebony

Enjoy your beautiful new mandolin-guitar!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Phoenix Mandolins???

I've played a few newer ones and they are just as great as my 2000 Bluegrass. I truly love this mandolin and would not hesitate to have Rolfe build me another if I needed it. I visited him up in...
  16. Thread: Wd-40

by Jeff Budz
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wd-40

I like that Finger Ease spray; helps me slide around a lot better without any harmful side effects.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 'Dola - F holes or Oval hole???

My first mandola was a Eastman f style with f holes. It was ok but I never really dug the sound. I sold it a few years ago because it wasn't getting played much. I came across a Webber Gallitan a...
  18. Re: The never ending search for an in tune mandolin... continued

A fretted instrument will never be totally in tune, but I have lots of mandolin family instruments that are just fine to my ears. A setup by a good luthier will help, assuming you are having...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: 15 or 16 Gauge A string?

I find the 15 to always be a little loosermfeeling than the other strings in a set. When I use a set with a 16 it feels more even in tension, and I feel like I can dig in a little more, the volume...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Phoenix Bluegrass #429

I love my PBG #258, it is a wonderful playing and sounding instrument. I fell in love with them after demoing one at a music store outside Boston. I posted about it and one of the Cafe' members...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Center Mandolin Experiences

A few months ago I came across a 1923 A1 Gibson at GC in Warwick RI. I was surprised to see it hanging there for a decent price, I asked to check it out, the kid was friendly and helpful, telling me...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: How often do "Pros" practice?

I think it is important to note the difference between real practice and ####### around on your instrument. A 20 minute session focusing on scales and patterns to a metronome may be way more...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Elderly Instruments Experience

That's why I did it, Nancy.

...Jeez
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval Hole Sound Issues.... (in my head?)

Good question dang. I think that your ear gets used to hearing the mandolin a certain way, then when you change to a totally different kind of mandolin your ear loses it's reference and takes a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson goes out of tune

Looks like a bad run of Elixirs, I grabbed the offending e-string and pulled up, and the loop end cinched up. I replaced the string and so-far so good.

Next step is to figure out how to fix the...
Page 1 of 2 1 2