Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

That'd be a thing. Eh!? I'll be there tonight. I've seen the entire Carnegie series.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile at Carnegie Hall 11/28/18

I saw the first show from the fifth row and some of the second (I had to catch a train home) from the balcony.

Humbling. Just humbling.

I had been a doubter at first (years ago) but I am a true...
  3. Re: Bill Monroe's mandolin played once again - now with video

I just love that he played so simply. This is nice.
  4. Re: Article: Mandolin Orange's Andrew Marlin Comes Out From Under

Humbled. Thank you.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on the Gibson F9?

Got my 2004 from MandoMutt. Just a great instrument with no reservations.
  6. Re: Early 10,000 Maniacs show with 2 mandolin songs (video)

Thanks for posting. Rob was a pal of mine, but I don't believe I ever saw him play mando!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Played a Virzi

I've played a lot of mandolins. The Virzi makes a difference.
  8. Replies
    Views

Played a Virzi

Finally had a Virzi in my hands yesterday at Retrofret in Brooklyn, a 20s Gibson A snakehead. Started playing it before I realized it was in there. Immediately noted a sweetness and mellowness, and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Young Co-Founder of National Guitars

I had a number of telephone conversations and email discussions with Don a few years back and was flattered beyond reason when he invited me to be a National Reso-Phonic artist. He was a true...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Elderly Custom Martin Tenors

Michaeloceanmoon,

The reason I opted for the a new instrument rather than a vintage piece has to do with utility. The vintage pieces often sound magnificient, but they rarely play well on a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Elderly Custom Martin Tenors

OK. Here’s a report. It’s a size 5, so it’s not a roaring box, but it’s relatively loud considering its size. The build quality and attention to detail is typically Martin, although it is quite...
  12. Replies
    Views

Elderly Custom Martin Tenors

The new Elderly Instruments custom Martin tenors are finally in (after being listed in the most recent catalog, but not making it to the website). I bought one yesterday and am awaiting its arrival...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for feedback on Mandomutts

Hey, I know you've already made your transaction, but I just want to jump in and say that Kevin is wonderful to deal with. I bought my F-9 from him (admittedly not a high ticket item, but it was for...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: New Fender Emando

Mine's in my hands right now. Picked it up an hour ago. Loving it. Cute is definitely the word. Only playing it through a tiny Honeytone practice amp but it all seems good. The E is not weak like on...
  15. Re: Fender Custom Shop Doubleneck E-Mando/Tele

Ed,

If that was a emando/tenor doubleneck, I'm sure we would see screech marks in front of your house from the UPS truck!

Thanks for posting.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar Gallery & Sightings

I'm not doing anything fancy in this one, just strumming, but it shows my Epiphone Blackstone archtop (probably 1949-50) in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RoEt2lvyeE
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: My Apologies

Randy,

A gentleman owns up to his actions. As one of your critics here yesterday, I appreciate that. Thank you and welcome.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: A great new mandolin builder!

"I don't think this is overly pushing his luthier anymore than anyone who gets a custom build raves about their new mandolin."

Except that he's a partner in the company.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentocky KM-855 vs. Loar LM-600

I'm with Joe. I think you've got a nice instrument on your hands. Perhaps switch the Epi bridge over until you can afford to have a Cumberland Acoustics bridge fitted. Once you get one of those on...
  20. Vintage Ward's (Gibson) Electric A style -- looking for info

This will be a long post. I do hope you’ll find it interesting and jump in with facts, comments and opinions.

I’m looking for any information I can gather on this Wards acoustic/electric mandolin....
  21. Re: New additions (tenor guitars I'm gloating over)

Ah, a nice acquistion, Ed. I sold my Harmony to fund the fuller-bodied GoldTone TG-18. I love the GoldTone, but I've been bummed about letting the Harmony go ever since.
  22. Re: New additions (tenor guitars I'm gloating over)

<at least when it's not buzzing.>

Indeed! And, yes, Bob, those are my cases. I have a terrible, incurable and likely fatal case of IAS (mandos, guitars, ukes, tenors of all types, etc.)
  23. New additions (tenor guitars I'm gloating over)

Lots of horse-trading last week. Lost a few lovely Martins, gained a few new lovely tenors. I think Mr. Goist, in particular, will love this picture. On the left, a 1946 Epiphone Blackstone, on the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor tuning survey

Ed,

Actually, I currently play tenor banjo in both tunings, Irish for the jug band and CGDA for the duo. I'm sort of waffling between both, which is one of the reasons I'm curious to see folks'...
  25. Re: My New National RM1 All Maple/Ages Bronze Resonator Mandolin

Oh, you're gonna be in love when that thing arrives.

Mine also has a neck button. I use a Levy's PM22 strap and Labella flatwound strings, the set with the wound As. You'll want the slightly wider...
Page 1 of 2 1 2