Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (for solo mandola)

Here's my latest YouTube offering.

https://youtu.be/Rlm-KbEhFg4
  2. Walter Douglas MBE, played by Dagger Gordon

This is a tune which I recorded on my Highland Mandolin album in 1988. It is written by Donald MacLeod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu89OhX78vY
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Taran Springwell

Here's my Taran Guitar's "Springwell" mandolin recorded professionally on the cd "The Flowing Bowl" by Rakish.

Sounds good to me!

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Banish Misfortune

I know this about six years late as a reply but here’s an Olde English manuscript, try out four or five of the jigs in here and you’ll probably notice some Englishness. ...
  5. Ceilidh Band in Lockdown (WARNING: non-mandolin content...)

...Those of a sensitive disposition, avert your eyes.

https://youtu.be/hJ59pXDz_6k
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Marga's Moment

While a struggle at first, my mandolin orchestra did eventually get Lulebore (The Snowflower) last season, a middle European folk song in 7/8. I suspect that few really count to 7; try it as...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Marga's Moment

https://www.amazon.com/These-Difficult-Times-Funny-Music/dp/B06XZ84VQ2
    Some are harder :))
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for an electric tenor

I have a collection of acoustic, semi acoustic & electric tenor guitars. Any time you're in Mullingar you can find me a session. The only Aussie muso in town. I'm not fussed about looks. My priority...
  9. Replies
    Views

Free sheet music for winter tunes for 2015

Dear Mandolin Friends,

A year has rolled around since I posted my Winter's Tale tune book on this Forum. Here is Winter's Tale Book 2. I hope you enjoy playing through it. If you see any errors,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Free PDF Tunebook (Volume Four)

On my forum (The Gathering) I have a tune of the week feature involving a nominated tune which people play and discuss. It's building into an interesting collection of tunes (we're at No.79 just...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic - what should I listen to?

One hint, since you obviously get rained with good directions already: don't try to do it all at once. Instead, pick one simple tune you like, learn to play it slowly but steadily (your first and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip Picks Wow!

Paul, you're description of the difference is exactly right! I felt the same way when I got mine.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip Picks Wow!

Please stop talking about BCs until I've tried mine
    You do realize that if people stopped talking about Blue Chip picks, traffic on the Cafe forum would drop by about 30%, right? If they also...
  14. Replies
    Views

Commercial foam... Then line it with velvet...

Commercial foam... Then line it with velvet...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mixed Feelings...

The only point I can find (and it is a valid one IMO) is that the OP is 'talking aloud' about developing a personal style, having a conversation about what 'works' and what 'doesn't work'. The train...
  16. Replies
    Views

It seems to me that most people in this...

It seems to me that most people in this discussion, if not all, are happy to agree to disagree. There's one undoubtedly great player who I don't enjoy listening to. I won't say who... I just don't...
  17. Replies
    Views

Mixed Feelings...

Hello, everyone and all,

I've been on the Cafe forum for a while now, but I haven't made many posts on here because, well, I'm very hesitant to voice certain opinions at the risk of being...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Found Mic's in old gig bag

I suspect these are old GRAMPIAN (long defunct UK mic manufacturer) or, possibly, Resolosound, who made moving coils as well as their better known ribbon designs. The body shape makes me tend towards...
  19. Replies
    Views

Mandolin & accordion from the Isle of Lewis

I was recently sent (from the Outer Hebrides of Scotland) a copy of this terrific video featuring my good friends mandolinist Donnie and his father, accordionist and gaelic singer Murdo MacDonald. I...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: At least once every gig

Well you probably won't believe this one but----- I teach guitar lessons and one day I brought in my mandolin. I have a mother who always sits in with her 8 year old. So he asks me----- What's...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: New jig on mandolin by Orrin Star