Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge digging into picking hand

Yup, smooth corners down, and then get a clamp-on arm rest like from McClung or others. Started using these and will never go back!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like F styles. Anyone else?

To go back to the original point, yup, I also think F’s can can be a bit uncomfortable with the points into one’s leg when sitting. Look cool though! I like A’s.
  3. Re: How can I convert unsearchable PDF files to searchable PDF fi

Hello, you will find yourself music here, with text recognition:
    https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a3d994f6-e7e4-4884-891f-427743ab9ece

Did with my iPhone. Let me...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap pin yes or no in a A-5

It’s all just personal preference here. Me, I don’t like them. It’s not like with a guitar where the larger body shifts the center of gravity toward the body end and a strap button near the heel...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: First post.. expensive mistake.

I understand what the OP is experiencing. Yes, good left hand holding technique is important and may even lead to the MT V-profile, (somewhat of a pointy parabola), becoming more appreciated, but...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Schaller Tuners - Black Buttons?

Or you can get the excellent Rubner tuners that have real ebony buttons.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Kentucky KM180B

What do you want to know? I have one I bought new sometime around 1981 or so for about $105. Love it, has only continued sounded to better over the years and is an easy, comfortable player. What's...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Are they really worth it?

The only place I've been where you can actually try them out is Fiddler's Green and the have every model. There may be other places but darn few. Settled on the TP-1R (50 and 60 thickness). It is...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Thinking of getting a Pava Satin A-5 but....

They are entirely different instruments. Collings is wonder in perfection of build, the Pava a wonder in richness and complexity of sound. At this level, (entry pro level), it is worth whatever...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval hole mando purchase

Have tried several Kentucky ovals including the 272. All sounded very good, some simply excellent in tone and volume. Often they have the big lows and tubbiness of the old Gibson A's but with better...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Older Kentucky A Style

I have a KM-180B I bought in the early 80's that really has gotten better sounding and louder over the years, beats most current Asian imports I've tried. With various setting up and other putzing,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 'Red Snark' Tuners.

The Polytune is far more accurate than the Snarks, with more resolution. When you use both at the same time, the Snark will give that OK center indication while the Polytune goes in much farther so...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Straps for an A style in the UK

I like these s lot for A's. http://www.souldier.us/CustomMandolinStraps.aspx.
  14. Re: visiting Austin in January--Collings and Pava A models

For woodier tone, you might find the Pava has that particular character over the Collings, but if you are making the trek to FG, take the time to sit down a try everything on the walls. (One of the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Electronic Tuners and Accuracy

This thread got a bunch more mileage than I would have predicted as the OP. Thanks to all for the interesting input! One result was that I also bought a Polytune Clip. My take:
    • It is very fast,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings mandolin question

Flawless CNC based build, nice finish, decent resale value, good sound. But for that same amount, if sound is the most important factor, there are many better choices, even if a scroll is a must....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Mandolin in the $800 to $900 range

Highly agree with the Kentucky KM900 or KM950, these have the bluegrass sound the OP seeks. A KM1000 in decent used condition will be a bit beyond the OP's current budget. Maybe for now, channel Tim...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Another "buffing out the satin finish" thread

There is something "unnatural" looking about many satin finishes and the 3-dimensional beauty of the wood is always almost completely muted. And super glossy nitro can sometimes appear to plasticy...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: best mandolin below $1000

The advice of "try them" is always stated here and is of course the way to go. However, the reality for many folks is that there are vast areas in the USA where there are few decent mandolins in...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is it I prefer my beater to my better?

I love my Kentucky KM-180B I bought in the early '80s for $105 plus a $15 case. And it has improved over the decades. Still play sometimes though I have higher end instruments.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM900 or JBovier A5-S?

When one samples the 900 and 950 back to back, it is not that great a difference in width. The 950 is like a "standard" 1-1/8", the 900 just a wee bit narrower. And there is the flat vs. radiused...
  22. Thread: Kentucky KM 272

by renoyd
    Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM 272

Oh, and yes, pick guards are not difficult to remove from Kentuckys.
  23. Thread: Kentucky KM 272

by renoyd
    Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM 272

I tried one of these at the Old Town School of Music store in Chicago. I was really impressed by it, was louder and more powerful than all the other Kentuckys, Eastmans and Loars they had there,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: upgrading to a new mandolin

Since you have a little bit more than $1K, you could consider a Kentucky KM-1000 which, IMHO, is a significantly better choice, especially regarding the sound. If you would consider no scroll, the...
  25. Thread: Tuners

by renoyd
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tuners

My little story: I have a mando that came with Golden Age tuners in nickel with ivoroid buttons. Worked great, nice and smooth, but I wanted black, so I had the identical set, but with black...
Page 1 of 2 1 2