Search:

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Scarf joint

There are few tools that put me more on edge than a power miter saw, a "chop saw", sliding or not. It's like a radial arm saw and cutting on either type, more "with the grain" than across it, is...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Reviving old tortoise celluloid binding

Well, at least the Musiclily site says it's right handed binding. I'm sure I trust everything else on that listing.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Reviving old tortoise celluloid binding

I forget who I learned this from. It might have been Mario Proulx. But it could have been someone else. I have a hot plate and a cheap teflon coated frying pan. I fill it with little glass beads,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Ginny Hollon

Oh no. I hadn't talked to her in some time but we had become friends, first through the magazine and then she had contacted me about building her a blue mandolin. I sent her my personal one so she...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Cutting bits for rosette channels

The bits I've gotten from Precise Bits are great. Pricey but really high quality. I use them in a CNC. For what you're talking about I use the the downward spiral. Remember though, that the quality...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Tail Pin

No argument from me. Years ago I went to a screw in strap button. Or if the customer so desires, I put an ebony strap button. Or a 1/4" jack.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Music Library for Samsung Tablet???

I use SetListMaker on my Samsung tablet. Once you get the hang of it, it works very well. Pretty easy to import lyrics, you can add chords into the song if necessary. One neat thing and probably lots...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Banjo-Mand finish issue

Have you tried hitting a tiny bit of it with a heat gun? It looks like moisture trapped in the old finish. I've had much success over many years with getting it hot enough to vaporize the moisture...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: fish eye from hell

John, that would indicate that I was misinformed. And I can't admit to that. :)
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Scary loud bang when raising bridge

I would doubt that raising the action a little is going to cause a brace to come loose. The pressure change was minimal to the top. And it wasn't like you were hammering a wedge in there. I would...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Lower Neck Binding Chipping

I couldn't have expressed it better than John did. Adhesion between different materials, finish or not, will show some failure at some point. If it's an older finish we call it mojo. It it's a newer...
  12. Re: New Bela Fleck Album out - My Bluegrass Heart

Not an album for folks that don't like music played on bluegrass instruments that isn't traditional bluegrass. In my mind, Bela and the others like him are incredible musicians and a lot of their...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Go Bar question?

I see no use for one if building an archtop mandolin. On flat top instruments with a lot of braces to glue on (guitar), they're great. You can glue all the braces at the same time. In addition, when...
  14. Thread: Bela!

by Dale Ludewig
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bela!

Oh My.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What timber is this please ?

I was thinking the same thing as John. I'd be surprised if it was cedar, although it's possible. It looks like a side/back set for a guitar and it would be likely that it's some harder tonewood. You...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Preferred hot hide glue temp

I use (currently) a little Proctor Silex Hotpot kind of thing. I keep a thermometer in it, not touching the bottom. I keep it right about 140. I also put the HHG after the initial making of it, into...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Helical head joijter

James- My Porter is from about 1918, babbit (sp?) bearings. 4 knife. Was your Crescent babbit bearings also? They just purr.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: bVII—IV—I (NMC)

This should fit into the discussion. How to think about this? Key change/ modes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fegnW9nisw
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: scraping celluloid bindings

yeah, I use CA on the fingerboard bindings. Sometimes the headstock, but even there I'll use a little Duco and the slurry at the miters. Which is a compromise. Not wild about it on the body where...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: scraping celluloid bindings

I'd give it at least 72 hours also. And the odor is a sign. Patience. You can speed it up a bit by putting it in front of a fan.
    If you level/scrape the bindings too soon, you're not saving...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck Block Materials

I built a guitar last year with a Port Orford cedar neck and top. From my little experience with it, it should be fine for body blocks and lining. I don't know if I'd trust it for a neck block on a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Pulling a fret

FWIW, Bill James (axinc.net), sells a nipper that's only about 1/2" wide that is probably made for something else, but it is really amazing at getting under the fret wire to get it out with minimal...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: latest Ludewig 2 point

Michael-
    Gold EVO. Is there anything else?
  24. Replies
    Views

latest Ludewig 2 point

This one left this afternoon for Olympia, WA. Sorry the pictures aren't better. This is the first 2 pt. ff-hole I've made. Red spruce, red maple. It sounds just fine.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Hide glue question

It was probably Titebond or Elmer's Carpenter's Glue. I think they're pretty much the same thing, but that doesn't mean I'm right. I've got furniture I built back in the mid 70's that is as solid as...
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4