Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

Read and re-read Jill's response (#19) and Beanzy's (#21). Enda Scahill has some mandolin material on his site that you might want to check out.
    Have fun with it and enjoy your trip!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintange Mandolins in Ireland

Jill .... Many thanks for the sticker trick. Next time I'm in Custy's I'll splurge.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

National RM-1 mandolin. No problem being heard and they can be quite expressive.
  4. Re: Non-mando: how well does Spotify or Pandora pay off for artis

This whole thread seems to me to be a variation on the theme: "Play at our restaurant, we won't pay you, but think of the exposure." To which I replied to a pizza place once: "Cool. I'm having a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Montana Lutherie

The Webers are great! Both Mary and Bruce have been wonderful on both purchases and sales of instruments. Montana Lutherie would be my first stop if I were looking for an instrument. I had to stay...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Some nice mando playing by Fergal Scahill

His brother Enda, best known for banjo, plays the mandolin extremely well also. Musical family! Fergal's fiddle tune a day is a must see for my bride the fiddle player.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Pete Sutherland RIP

Pete's passing is a particularly great loss for those of us here in Vermont. His presence was a treasure to all. He had been battling cancer for quite a while and was in control of his passing...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mick Moloney, RIP @ 77

On our last pre-covid trip to Ireland we were taken by Des Mulkere to Oliver O'Donnel's home outside of Tubber for a session that ended up having Micky Dunne and a few others. Then a bus pulled up...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mods to Hoffee case?

Jeff Hoffee just did a refit of a guitar case for me. Refit and return shipping was $250. Can't beat the cases or the service. All of my ten thumbs up for Jeff and his crew.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Calton Cases - in pictures

When you've been waiting for a custom case would you really want the maker to hold on to it after it was completed ... or would you rather have the case ... finally.? For me it'd be ship it fumes...
  11. Re: What are your thoughts on Deering Tenor Banjos

What Jill said ... plus .. have the different banjos played for you as well as trying them out. Everything sounds different "out front" and it might make a difference when deciding between...
  12. Re: Tenor Guitar GDAE - Best place to learn/find lessons?

Plus one on Jill's suggestion about Enda Scahill's course. This part of her post is where the rubber hits the road: "It's a GDAE tenor banjo course but a lot of the things Enda focuses on (the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar!

Wonderful Jill. Congratulations on that lovely instrument well played by You,

Ryk
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Cases and covers

I buy a quality instrument that i can't afford to replace. For which i buy a quality case that i can't afford to replace. For which i buy a case cover to protect the lot.
    Ryk
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I've gone to the dark side

What Jill said about Newtone strings. I love them on my tenors and plectrum. You'll have a choice of nickel plated steel or phosphor bronze. Great strings.
    Ryk
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor guitars

Bob ... It was your youtube playing that great guitar that got me to purchase a '37 Epi-Triumph. Wonderful guitar. Thank you.
    Ryk
  17. Re: Should I put a Mandolin Cafe Sticker on my Vintage Lifton Cas

No stickers! Jacob, Post 18, might have a good idea for Scott though ... plastic Mandolin Cafe luggage tags. It's a bright logo and would be a cool way to have your address on the case.
    Ryk
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: the Small Dog

Mark,
    That was an option. I've had it on a couple of Small Dogs including one for a rectangular mando case. (Available.)
    Ryk
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

The first step on the road to recovery is to acknowledge you have a problem. You're on your journey.
    (I'm sure you know it's a joke Allen ... but just in case ....)
    Ryk
  20. Re: What are your favorite albums featuring mandolin?

Anything by Don Steirnberg (On any instrument ... i just heard him on tenor banjo. Wow!) Anything by Kenneth 'Jethro' Burns. Skip Gorman's 'Mandolin in Cow Camp'. Anything by Rich DelGroso, Dave...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with USPS?

The problem seems to be the "hand offs" from another shipper. I always ask who the shipper is. If it's UPS i'll give my street address. If it's USPS (my preferred) i give them my PO Box. If they...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument Appraisals

What William said about Heritage is spot on. I've been with them for years and they're great to deal with. Fortunately i've never had to use the insurance but discussions from a sadly gone guitar...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Luthier Paul Hostetter has passed away

Many ... many emails and phone conversations with Paul as he worked on my '28 L-5 and afterwards. Always a joy to talk with someone whose sense of humor was much like my own. His site was a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Were Famous . . .

I hope i'd be as class an act as Don Stiernberg is here.

Ryk
  25. Thread: Condon

by Ryk Loske
    Replies
    Views

Re: Condon

Don is right that Condon played a tenor guitar tuned plectrum C G B D. He did end up having a plectrum guitar from Gibson, an L-5, but i've never seen a picture of him playing it. A great read is...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4