Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Worm holes

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Worm holes

Scientific Formula for the optimal number of {G}*:
    ... *{G} is a variable, "gear"; e.g., "mandolins", "picks", etc.

If x = the number of {G} you currently possess, the optimal number of {G}...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Just read "MANDOLIN PRICING"

Couldn't care less about the price of mandolins, guitars or any other stringed instruments and the accompanying angst and gum flapping about what they cost. What I want to know is why when I go to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Brad Laird's "Grass Talk Radio" podcast

Thank you for the heads up, Sue. I recall Brad and respect him as a player and teacher. He has been helpful in this forum for me, as well. Also, his Mandolin Handbook is excellent. What a resource...
  4. Replies
    Views

1987 Flatiron Artist A5 (Mint)

I recently acquired a 1987 Flatiron Artist A5 mandolin which couldn’t have been played very much. It was in mint condition no nicks, dings, cracks or scratches anywhere on the mandolin (like new).
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is Low humidity a problem?

Different species of wood expand and contract at different rates as humidity changes. With a spruce top, maple back and sides, ebony or other super dense wood for the fingerboard, all glued together...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is Low humidity a problem?

If you feel like an academic exercise or two, first research the gas laws ("physics 101") and then research the hygroscopic nature of wood (best, understandable explanation that I know of is in the...
  7. Re: Sam Bush Bluegrass Mandolin lessons - sheet music, chords, ta

I apologize. I didn't realize the book was still available for sale. (I was foolish for not checking.) I'll remove the link now.
  8. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday, Mandolin Cafe!

... and a big thanks to Scott and his entire team for such a helpful and valuable resource. Also to the members of the various forums and social groups who make this place something really special.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you clean strings after playing?

I'm supposed to be cleaning my strings?
  10. Re: Thoughts on Mandolessons, Pegged Nation and other sites

+1 for Brad Laird, he has some great content too, as well as some great ebooks availableon his site.
  11. Re: Thoughts on Mandolessons, Pegged Nation and other sites

Another good teacher is Bradley Laird. His website has numerous free and paid video lessons, and currently there is a limited offer to purchase a complete set of mandolin video courses and e-books...
  12. Re: Thoughts on Mandolessons, Pegged Nation and other sites

One not mentioned yet is Pete Martin. He offers beginner mandolin lessons, as well as bluegrass, jazz or western swing lessons - he teaches via skype, and offers several full-length free books as...
  13. Re: Surely I am not the first to suggest a MandolinCafe gathering

My favorite part would be the mandolin pictures. Maybe a Cafe Conclave poster.
  14. Re: Surely I am not the first to suggest a MandolinCafe gathering

I hosted a couple regional cafe gatherings a few years back. Had folks from Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania. I think the first one had around 15-20 people. Was fun getting to meet some people and am...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Not A Happy Guy

" Your outlook in life is not determined by what happens to you in life but by how you react to what happens to you " :)
  16. Re: Stroboclip HD prefers harmonic to fundamental problem

NOPE.

Actually, both Mandoplumb and HonkeyHank are ever-so-slightly wrong to state that if the (5th) harmonic of a string is in tune, then base note will also be in tune. Not so. The reason why...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: When you learn something important

OK so here it is. (Told you I can't keep a secret long.) And I have never heard anyone advocate this or talk about it. While my Skype teacher is for classical, I believe it will provide advantage for...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New Flatiron mandolin

I had a 1966 Ford Mustang and I loved it, but even back then it was a glorified Falcon with a little more style and options available. But, you're right the later 70's Mustang II, and others, etc....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: New Flatiron mandolin

I love the "shaped object" term. I have a friend that refers to Telecaster shaped objects. Very apt description.
  20. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass Music Theory (?)

A classic interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=181&v=e-NlSTerYRg
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin maintenance

Never never never ever put the instrument in without latching the case, at least one latch. Picking up a not-obviously-unlatched case is a surefire way to damage an instrument.
  22. Re: Rattlesnake tail rattles in mandolins, do they change anythin

The physical reality of the benefits of the rattlesnake rattle are sooooooooooooo besides the point. Its a tradition that has meaning for some, not for others.

Of course we have superstitions, and...
  23. Re: Rattlesnake tail rattles in mandolins, do they change anythin

There are different instruments which use a rattling or vibrating component to give a different timbre, like the bray harp and the mbira. If such a thing is positioned where it can vibrate...
  24. Re: Rattlesnake tail rattles in mandolins, do they change anythin

Look Bill did it. Ain't that enuf?

From here.
  25. Re: Rattlesnake tail rattles in mandolins, do they change anythin

For real mojo put a live snake in there.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4