Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Any online Newgrass Teachers/Courses?

Not to toot my own horn (partly because all the people listed above are incredible educators) but I am starting to go through Chris Thile's catalog of songs on my Patreon. I'll be posting a decent...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretless mandolin?

I like it. Soothing indeed.

I am utterly ignorant of the proper terminology and forms of various folk music forms ranging from the middle to far east, but to my novice ears this recording seems...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

John Suhr, who makes awesome electric guitars, has a pretty great quote, something like: Most tone problems can be cured with practice.

Tone is an ongoing journey, and you’re at the beginning of...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

I too am very saddened to receive this news. Peter was a master musician and a gentle soul. Rest in peace.
  5. Replies
    Views

It's Sad Day. One of our good ones has passed. Thank you Peter for all you've given. A shining light in the mando world. Beautiful tunes. Beautiful tones. He opened up many doors with that great big...
  6. Replies
    Views

Peter could play anything on the mandolin(also fiddle and guitar)and play it at master level. He did an awful lot to showcase and popularize the mandolin, his versatility and virtuosity showing us...
  7. Article: New Music from Ethan Setiawan - Live at Club Passim

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/742-New-Music-from-Ethan-Setiawan-Live-at-Club-Passim

8. Replies
    Views

Re: Which way do musicians make more money?

I'm not a professional musician, so I won't attempt to answer your question, but I want to say something to pro's and sei-pro's. Musicians keep telling us how little they're paid by streaming and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to start with Jazz Mandolin?

re-reading the original post I see the poster was asking for suggestions of tunes, and coming from a flat-pick fiddle backround. So here comes a bunch of that. Not to suggest that the book and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: That famous cello prelude, deconstructed

I'm no classical expert by any means, mostly a bluegrass guy. But this is the first Bach piece I wanted to learn and worked on. It was 4 pages on the tab from Joe Walsh's Peghead Nation course and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Mike Marshall The Movie

Attention Hollywood Casting:

12. Re: Gender and age distribution of mando players

Happy to see some nice discourse on this topic. More diversity in who is playing the mandolin will only make the music more interesting.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Gender and age distribution of mando players

I've known females who have been driven out of music forums by males who had terrible boundaries. There are also subtle pressures through which females get the message that they might be only...
  14. Re: Gender and age distribution of mando players

Some truth, but plenty myth in my opinion. To really get a feel for any resource you'd have to identify everyone not using a name by their gender identity. Even that wouldn't identify a gender...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

I'm a hospital Registered Nurse and today was pretty rough. I was honestly fine until today. It's starting to take it's toll, or maybe I'm just rambling and tired after a bad shift. My wife and kids...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Eva Scow - After You've Gone

Eva's most definitely the real deal but flies under the radar a bit in the mandolin world. I know she got the call to appear on an Anthony Wilson CD around 14 years ago. Wilson, for those not...
  17. Chris Thile's fingerings for B minor Allemande (solo violin)

Hey y'all,

I am working on a project for Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin in which I work up fingerings for each piece along with explanations on why I chose these fingerings....
  18. Re: Current pros looking to teach lessons during down time

Works for us. I'd guess you could add to that list, and I'll probably think of more at some point:

Tristan Scroggins
    Mike Compton
    Don Stiernberg
    Adam Steffey
    Wayne Benson
    Marla Fibish
    Sharon...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

I'm not asking, but insisting on a halt on this discussion until Ted Eschliman has a chance to review. I'm slammed with other business at the moment and just don't have the time to stop and tend to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gigs Cancelled - Health and Safety

I think it is time to close this thread as we have clearly wandered into politics.

I don't care if people pretend to be experts about mandolins here, but the people posting medical claims and now...
  21. I'll See You In My Dreams - Django transcribed for mandolin

Hey Friends, long time no see, hope you all are well. Transcribed this last year for Steve Smith's mando camp, made a youtube video after and have had a few requests for the transcription. Thought...
  22. Replies
    Views

Portland, Maine Old Time Jam

There's an outdoor old time jam held every Tuesday, 7-9, in Post Office Square in the heart of Portland. Goes through the summer months.

All are welcome - bring yourself - and a chair if you need...
  23. Lakeland Florida intermediate player seeks jamming partner(s)

I am currently playing in an acoustic trio mostly pop music want to play bluegrass and old-time tunes. Feel free to message me or post jams in central Florida.

Best Tom
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Del McCoury Band w/ Thile

Ya'll can worship at the alter of Thile if you want but in my opinion Ronnie was more musical and overall a "better" player.
  25. Re: Anyone Know where I can find a used Gilchrist

And Women:)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4