Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's new pick

Saw CT with the Punch Brothers in August. During a pre-show Q&A, CT said that he was using a prototype pick he is working on with D'Addario. No other details, such as pick material, size, thickness,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's new pick

Yes. I would only add a crazy level of work and commitment, and note that access to that level of terrarium and instruments comes as part of the success that is a product of crazy talent X crazy...
  3. Replies
    Views

Billy Joel Chord Melody

Hey guys. It's been a while since I regularly posted any sort of video or arrangements, and I finally have had the time again. This is one I put together this week of the Billy Joel tune "Movin Out."...
  4. Replies
    Views

From The Playing of Eddy Davis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40WdHERwXiA

From the playing of my friend, and mentor, Eddy Davis. Eddy plays banjo with his thumb a lot, and I played this version with thumb only, mostly...
  5. Replies
    Views

Dusted off my Guild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FGctT_E4K4

She's been sitting in the case all summer. I've been in TB mode for awhile, but I love the electric tenors. I know a lot of you guys have some vintage...
  6. Re: August Jazz TOM: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Sorry I haven't been posting every month! I've been going through some crazy life changes and it's been hard to have the time.

I recorded this one about a year ago though and I thought it was...
  7. It's been a really inspiration to work with...

It's been a really inspiration to work with Adrian and all the folks at Northfield to pursue these developments in their new mandolins. I'm really impressed with how open and willing they are to...
  8. Re: Sierra Hull "Georgia", "Deep River Blues"

Links showing here in Suffolk but no sound on the second video
  9. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull "Georgia", "Deep River Blues"

Saw in a recent thread by Scott that it's possible - even easy - to embed Facebook videos here. These are a couple of Sierra Hull's posts over the past couple years that I enjoyed. The code creates...
  10. Thread: Eddy Davis Mando

by dcav
    Replies
    Views

Eddy Davis Mando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSG_pSSHUzE

I haven't posted on this site in quite some time, as I've been into banjos as of late...TBs, RBs, you know. Eddy Davis is my favorite tenor banjoist,...
  11. Re: August Jazz TOM: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Taking Des's advice and diving in. Here is my submission. I was also enjoying listening to a version by Sonny Stitt Featuring Bobby Timmons (they play it in Eb). He plays what sounds to me like a...
  12. Replies
    Views

1926 high school Banjo-Mandolin Club

I hope this is appropriate to post here. This is the photo of the Banjo-Mandolin Club in my grandfather's high school yearbook. Hillhouse High School, New Haven, Connecticut, 1926. They had a ukulele...
  13. Re: August Jazz TOM: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Nice take Michael!! I love your tone and even if you are learning the language you seem relaxed in your playing. Nice work!

I have been listening to a version I found by Donald Byrd. I think the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Marshall Mandolin Summit 2018

I knew little about Don Julin going into the summit weekend, but I walked away with a heck of a lot of respect for the guy. Down to earth and approachable he really gets down to the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Marshall Mandolin Summit 2018

I had a great time attending the 2018 Marshall Mandolin Summit last week!

Months ago when I registered I had no real idea of what to expect, and now in retrospect I am super glad I did it. I have...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Introducing the New Collings MT Torrefied

Putting my mandolin in the oven now...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Phoenix mandolins closing shop?

Thanks for all the kind words about Phoenix mandolins and the support for Jenny. She made the difficult phone call to me a while back and, while it is sad, it is a good move for her. She is an...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Serenity

The inherent beauty of the F-4 is lost in this example of an instrument. No thanks.
  19. Thread: Parkerisms

by Pete Martin
    Replies
    Views

Parkerisms

I've recently shot 4 videos on Charlie Parker cliché phrases. Using these will help improvisers get more of a Bebop sound into their playing. You can see them here:
  20. Re: Conflicting Information about Collings Mandolin Neck Joints

While I certainly want to know everything regarding an instrument I'm thinking of buying, not until it has passed the play test. The human brain can trick your ears with preconceptions. You can have...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Does an oval hole have advantages?

Most F-hole players really don't know how to really use an oval-hole to it's maximum capabilities. They'll just play one with the same attack and techniques they use on an F-hole, and then crow...
  22. Mandolin-piano sonata by Bolaffi (Firenze, ca 1789-1798)

Hi,

Once again my research into mandolin-related prints prior to 1850 turned up a little gem. I found a mandolin-piano sonata from Michele Bolaffi (Firenze, ca 1789-1798). It's actually quite a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Collings has passed away

Noting it was one year ago today that Bill passed away. The Collings operation is strong and moving forward. They have a great team of long-time employees and haven't missed a step is what we've...
  24. Replies
    Views

Squirrel Hunters

A nice version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njXObuqrzgI
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Stiernberg's guitar-body mando

Apitius - The Yorkville

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3