Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

Relax your hand on a table or the arm of a chair, lift your index finger, curve it and press the tip for a second as you would when playing, lay the finger down and relax it, do the same with the...
  2. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

The more one uses the 4th finger in playing, the less unruly it becomes.
  3. Re: Strategies (or contraptions) to tame the flying fingers?

Just think about keeping them down when you practice, and eventually that will become your default. I don’t think there’s a shortcut other than just working slowly through left hand exercises with...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass Jam 2/22 - 2/25

Where are the mandolincafe folks? I'm usually roving the halls or hanging out in the WAMA suite.
  5. Red Wing: Creativity with Constraints Improv Exercise

I thought folks on this board might be interested in this video I made of the classic western swing fiddle tune Red Wing. I like exercises that force you to be creative within specific parameters - I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: First jam since before the Pandemic

Well, I am taking you all's word for it and I'm going to my first jam a week from Sunday. Pretty excited and nervous to check it out.
  7. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

The Jam Leader is tasked with, obviously, leading the Jam. This responsibility requires all kinds of different and difficult decisions, that will vary depending on the environment and...
  8. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

"The Ban" touches upon two topics and a general thought:

1. Is it okay to play musical pieces that could offend? Or should they be banned?

2. Is it okay to play musical pieces even though...
  9. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I see no problem with you banning WW or anything you want to ban at your own jam. As far as Turkey in the Straw goes (I was going to abbreviate that but it don't think it would have made it past the...
  10. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Context is everything. Beginner jam? Anything goes. Whatever gets people playing. Jam at my house? I really can't stand the Grateful Dead (sorry!), and I'm tired of hearing Wagon Wheel. Traditional...
  11. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

:) Had to smile at this thread. Jam leaders have their individual ways of doing things. It's a bit heavy handed to ban a song but if I suggest a tune and I don't feel the love, I'll just suggest...
  12. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I've never encountered a song ban at a jam before. Wagon Wheel just doesn't get called much around here. I'm not sure that would be the one I would ban, as it has a straightforward chord progression...
  13. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I have played Wagon Wheel probably more than most of, if not all, the people in here because a singer I used to work with loved it and sang it constantly. That being said, there is a time and a...
  14. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I'm in the "happy to never play/hear Wagon Wheel again" camp. I think it's the Darius Rucker (ha spell check changed that to Radius - now that's funny stuff) effect. I'm also not playing along on...
  15. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Wagon Wheel doesn't fit the style of the jam you were leading - a bluegrass jam. I would shout the word Bluegrass, but I'm beginning to realize the we live in a genre confused world. Folks play...
  16. Replies
    Views

Nothing like advanced planning:)
  17. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I’m not keen on banning specific tunes or songs but I have to say if you bring a tune or song to a jam you should be able to play and or sing it well enough to lead it so that others can follow along.
  18. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Every jam of every genre has their overplayed songs or tunes. I remember Orange Blossom Special and Foggy Mountain Breakdown. We often overplayed when I was first starting to play. And then there is...
  19. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

For some reason, a mandolin player in our jam hates "Red Haired Boy", so we never play it. But, my busking group does play it as a medly with "Salt Creek". And we do "Wagon Wheel", as well.
  20. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Thanks for this note. I feel the person running the jam can do what they please and players can take it or leave it. If it ain't fun for whatever reason, the jam will eventually die. I think WW is a...
  21. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

If you're in a jam with organized rules about tunes, you've got to follow them. Some people will be put off, some will love it, people come and go. Doesn't mean that over time the 'rules' won't...
  22. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I have two thoughts about the song:

1) As a relative newcomer and (bluegrass) outsider looking in, I love Wagon Wheel... it's familiar and easy to play :)

2) When the jam I'm attending has...
  23. Replies
    Views

I'll be there Thursday - Sunday with some toys.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: First jam since before the Pandemic

Just checked out your site Mbruno and that slow jam sounds exactly like the type of thing I need. Too bad I live all the way in Western Kentucky I want to start going to jams and playing with others...
  25. Replies
    Views

Will be there too with a couple mandolins - A Sullivan and either a Ruhland or a Heiden and a vintage guitar or two. Would love to jam with folks who like to play instrumental fiddle tunes, jigs and...
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4