Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Metronome use question???

I dunno. That drum app is cool, but it might be a lot to wrestle with right off when one is just trying to sync up with a steady beat.

One thing that helps me is to set the volume of the metronome...
  2. Replies
    Views

+1 on a drum machine app. Chord Pulse is a good freebie. Lots of different rhythms to choose from.
  3. Replies
    Views

If backing tracks work for you, I don’t see the problem. The goal is to get good at playing with other musicians, not with a click track. If you use the iRealPro app, you can change speed and key,...
  4. Replies
    Views

I suggest installing Drum Genius on your iPhone/tablet etc.

A great app and learning how to play to real drums is easier then a metronome...and a heck of a lot more fun!

There are lots of...
  5. Replies
    Views

:)) Hey, Monte Python had great timing.

My point is, it's one thing to discover that you actually do have rhythm, but another to synchronize with people or things apart from yourself.
  6. Replies
    Views

That's beginning to sound like a Monty Python thing.
  7. Replies
    Views

I tried to use different metronomes. What really worked out nicely for me was picking up an old Alessis SR-16 drum machine.
  8. Replies
    Views

Now Bertram, in addition to making excellent points, has given you a really good exercise there ... and to make it even more similar to working with a metronome, if you live in a populated area, the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Steady beats are an essential feature of life. Your heartbeat works whatever you do. Can you walk while you talk or sing? Then it's only one step to using the metronome. Walk and say "one, two" along...
  10. Replies
    Views

I suggest working with the metronome without the mandolin to get the hang of it. Set it at a slow tempo, maybe 60 bpm. Then count out loud with each click, 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 etc. Once you get that...
  11. Replies
    Views

Keep working with it. You need to get to the point that you're not thinking so much about it, instead you're just synchronizing your actions in time with it.
    ----
    I did think of one suggestion that...
  12. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #1

I notice that not much is happening by way of blues here, so I decided to start posting a blues or blues-related tune a week (allowing for "the best-laid plans of mice and men...") for blues...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Identity crisis

I am with Jim on this one, I have always had a fascination for trying to learn as many instruments as I could; (although success in this endeavor has been minimal). I always figured that if I...
  14. Replies
    Views

The music is always the most important thing to me so I was and is usually the one to fill in the missing instrument in a group.

When I first started playing fiddle I had a few friends at my...
  15. Replies
    Views

Jams are fun in one way, a lot of different styles and songs that you run thru once then on to another. They are the pot luck of music, you get what you get. If you want a gourmet meal you need a...
  16. Replies
    Views

It was easy for me. I always wanted to be a one-instrument guy, and my instrument should be universal enough to fulfill all my needs of sound. In the end, the solution was the OM: a mandolin with the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Lick of the Day

Hey there everybody! Dan from Mandolins and Beer here! Been a while! I’ve started playing music pretty much full time now and have been working on something I call Lick of the Day.

I’ve been...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone/Speed

I've wondered about that. I can slow down and play it perfect. As I speed up I can see my fingers going to the right fret and correctly. Thanks!
  19. Thread: Tone/Speed

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Since I bought a metronome, I've been using it almost all the time. I do not increase speed until I'm happy with note accuracy and tone. I strive for every note to sound as full as the next. You can...
  20. Thread: Tone/Speed

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

We play tunes fast for square dances, some of us can play fast and keep the musicality, some can't. In the old time world we smile and play and don't judge. It's nicer if everyone can play up tempo...
  21. Replies
    Views

Mandoplumb - I agree that some bands can do it 'some of the time' but mostly it sounds just how it is - too fast . I'd also agree that having the ability to play fast ie. Earl Scruggs,is a good thing...
  22. Thread: Tone/Speed

by albeham
    Replies
    Views

Back in jump school, airborne training JMPI, was always told smooth is fast....

Good for tone..speed will come
    Al
  23. Thread: Tone/Speed

by Mandoplumb
    Replies
    Views

Ivan I agree that most times a player gets so fast that he loses what I call the music of the tune/song. But not always, early Country Gentelmen played ridiculously fast and still sounded musical and...
  24. Replies
    Views

I'm 100% self taught & while i knew that some tunes are meant to be played 'fast',i never purposely tried to pay them 'fast',it sort of crept up on me without me thinking about it. I'm sure that it...
  25. Replies
    Views

Nobody's mentioned my favorite trick for building speed, so I'll chime in.

Use a metronome in two directions. Start at 80 beats per minute. Play a tune as best you can. Now, roll is back to 60...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4