Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Bussman passes

It is with my saddest heart to announce the passing of my good friend of 37 years Bill Bussman. So many around the world knew him through his luthier talents with Old Wave Mandolins. I know this from...
  2. Replies
    Views

Bach: Christe eleison, No.2, BWV 232

This is my arrangement of Christe eleison, No.2 from the Mass in B minor (“Die h-Moll-Messe”) BWV 232 by J.S. Bach, an opening and ending melody of the duet of sopranos.
  3. Replies
    Views

ANNOUNCEMENT: TAMCO retirement.

Its been 20 fantastic years!

I have so enjoyed working with mandolin luthiers large and small, wonderful customers and many thanks to Scott - and being a very small part of this wonderful...
  4. Replies
    Views

Thile Update NYT

New York Times profile of 40-year old mandolinist, C.T. HERE

5. The Celtic Mandolin - Tunes for March 20121

Hi Folks
    Here are the resources I've posted this month. Hope you enjoy them. Remember, they're not too difficicult and work best in small groups or at least duets.

20. The Old Tune
    I can't...
  6. Replies
    Views

Chambered body, electric mandolin

Hi Guys, hope that you are all managing to keep well and safe.
    I’ve just started to build a new emando, this time with a chambered body.
    Above is what I’m calling “the core”.
    I'm doing a...
  7. Thile Fingering for Bach's Corrente (B Minor Partita)

Another week has flown by and another one of these is fresh off the press (and my press I mean my computer). This time around we have the Corrente from the B Minor Partita for Solo Violin.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Resonators

Under $1K you either buy one of the nickel-plated brass Chinese instruments, by Johnson, Recording King etc. -- or look for a used US-made Dobro or National (here's one at Guitar Center). The best...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

If John Hartford was a mandolin picker he might have said...

Mando can get you through times of no money but money can’t get you through times of no mando
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: We need songs for these times

Like many of you, I've been spending WAY too much time staring at a screen, trying to keep up with the latest news. So here's my parody of a Johnny Cash classic:

I Stay Online

I keep a close...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Useful Tip For Changing Strings

My favored approach involves placing the string loop over the peg in the tailpiece, then stretching it under light hand tension, straight over the bridge and nut, and winding it several times (2-4)...
  12. Eilee Pakenham, her Compositions and her Ceccherini mandolin

See this link on Eileen Pakenham.

http://www.banjomandolinguitar.org/pakenham.htm
  13. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #50

Greetings from a house that I'm visiting in the tall and lush woods on beautiful Vancouver Island.

I've by no means run out of blues mandolin players. However, for my 50th post, I'm featuring...
  14. Replies
    Views

Did my eyes just get older? Font size

Did the iPad iOS forum interface just decrease text size? Is there a way to make the cafe site display larger text? It is tough for me to read the small text and touching the micro zone for opening...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Early Blues Mandolin

Thanks for the responses. The Steve James material looks very helpful and I've ordered the Joe Carr book despite the strangely mixed reviews.

I'm collecting instructional material, but I'm...
  16. Re: Small speakers revisited, and we have a new winner: Sony XB-2

FYI, Vacay was a success. I ended up using a zoom pedal directly connected to the speaker (1/4 mono to 1/8 stereo cable). Even with the impedance mismatch it sounded great.

I took the emandola...
  17. Re: Favorite Electric Mandolin Albums or Artists?

thanks all

I still have the mandolin played by fat Don in 1991 in the above video. It's on 3 tracks of my latest CD "Good Numbers"--'Just Friends', 'Laverne Walk' and 'Come Rain or Come...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Campfire travel Mandolin

I've been quite pleased with a Seagull mandolin which I bought last year.
    It's loud, plays very easily, fits in my hand luggage backpack so I'm not checking in any extra luggage on a flight and it's...
  19. Thread: Musical Journey

by Nancyf
    Replies
    Views

Musical Journey

Back in the 90s I got lots of invaluable support on my beginner's nervous self-doubt - from either this list or the Comando listserv. I recently wrote about my 20+ year mandolin learning journey,...
  20. Replies
    Views

New Electric Travel Mandolin

Seems like everyone is building travel mandos these days...

This one came about for a client that wanted something she could fit into the tiny approved overhead locker cases for a well known...
  21. Replies
    Views

Solid bodied mandolins

I know they don’t get a lot of love round here but I’m wondering how many here play or at least own one. I’ve been considering for some years writing a small book on the subject it would include a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Musical Journeys

There's been a wee fall of snow here in Scotland which is threatening my trip to the South of England this weekend. The BMG fretted instrument festival takes place in Worthing from Friday to Sunday,...
  23. Re: Bob Dylan 2016 Nobel Lecture in Literature - NMC

Here is the transcript of the speech. You can read it and take it at face value, analyze it, dissect it, and/or pick at parts of it - whatever you like. I am damn proud of him for being awarded this...
  24. Nigel Gatherer - Scottish Traditional Music Hall Of Fame

I've just heard the news that Nigel Gatherer is being inducted into the Scottish Traditional Music Hall Of Fame.

Well done, and well-deserved for all his work in promoting the mandolin in Scottish...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Friend of the devil

Not sure if anyone cares about this 9 years later, but I just transcribed the mandolin intro and solo from the Garcia/Grisman version of the song.

Friend of the Devil: Grisman Mandolin Intro and...
Page 1 of 2 1 2