Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins On TV - Advance Notice

Probably no MC, but I thought there might be some interest - though not enough to warrant starting a thread on the topic - and this does relate to 4/5 of the words in the thread title. ;)
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

What did the trombone player say at his first gig?
    "Do you want fries with that?"

Did you hear the one about the bass player who tried to commit suicide because he couldn't keep time? Yep, threw...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Under Seat on Plane?

I often travel with a Seagull mandolin which is small and ideal for travelling with.
    It is small enough to fit in my hand luggage along with my clothes etc, so I don't have any check in stuff.

I...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a Celtic mandolin?

I've always liked the sound of harp with mandolin and actually feel it's not a sound we hear enough.
  5. Re: Does anyone get depressed or even semi-suicidal when they hea

I am finding some healing and maybe even some callous-building by recording myself often and listening with headphones so there is no escaping the reality of my own voice. I will get desensitized to...
  6. Re: Does anyone get depressed or even semi-suicidal when they hea

On the Journey to Excellence, Enjoy Mediocrity.

f-d
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Good news, bad news.

When paring down my instrument collection I always set aside one or two instruments to GIVE to another musician or aspiring musician. I had no such benefactor when I was without an instrument to play...
  8. New collection of original mandolin tunes, free download

I've just published my new tunebook, May Frost: 64 Original Mandolin Tunes (with harmony parts and guitar chords) and it's available as a free download from my Mandotopia site.

Here's the link:...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Anybody else riding RAGBRAI?

Rode RAGBRAI in 1985 and 1988. Great experience ! Was not playing mandolin at the time. I highly recommend this venture. Iowa is a very interesting state, and you don't realize that until you...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Anybody else riding RAGBRAI?

I won't be riding the RAGBRAI but I will be riding the Tour Du Wyoming. Because of the nature of transportation of gear, I don't bring any instruments.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Help choosing a low force mandolin surrogate

Badgermin. You don't even have to touch it.

12. Re: "What kind of music do you play?" and other pet peeves

What kind of music do you play?

What ever they pay me to play.
  13. Replies
    Views

Meet my Big Muddy jumbo mandolin

Hello everyone,

A while back I posted about being in the market for a new mandolin. Big Muddy was recommended by a few of you, and after I emailed Mike, who is great guy to communicate with and...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Shocking to me

After I learned about intonation, even my first mando (Alvarez A100) sounds pretty darn good. Such things like finding the right strings for the instrument (and then a decent pick) also can take...
  15. Replies
    Views

What is a Celtic mandolin?

A few weeks ago I asked about few friends and on the forums (including here) who their favourite "Celtic" players were. I’ve since asked some of these players their opinions about the instrument. The...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Carpenter jacks and seated playing

In that case, a short-term (and cheap) fix would be a 1/4" extension cable with a right-angle plug on one end for the mandolin, and a jack on the other end, for whatever cable the sound guy provides....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning in Fifths

Thank you for posting that, it's good to know that its not just me that has this problem. Not being cursed by perfect pitch, but having "learned" relative pitch (I can recognize the pitch of a note...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying A Good Mandolin For Under $200

$200 spent now for a year or so experience beats the daylights out of saving until 201X for something "better." Music unplayed is opportunity missed. Enjoy!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Professional musicians: Do you pay to play?

I help run a "Fiddlers' Fair" at Genesee Country Village every year, with a "sign up and play" main stage, and we originally said we'd charge everyone admission, musicians and non-musicians, and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Your wisdom on running a band

Well, every band is different, and there are so many stuations you can run into. Just in terms of "who pays for the PA," here are a few things I've found that work well for small-sized groups that...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Your wisdom on running a band

1. Effective communication--as in all relationships

...easier said than done (as in all relationships)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandolin is WAY better than yours!

The best mandolin is the one I have in my hands at the time, if it happens to be yours, then yes, yours is best!! :)
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Influences

Attaboy from the goat rodeo sessions
  24. Re: Have you ever been ridiculed for your choice in instrument?

I have been ridiculed in one way or another for just about every decision I have made. It is just part of life. Folks get threatened when they see you having the courage to do something you really...
  25. Re: Have you ever been ridiculed for your choice in instrument?

This attachment, from the historical NYTimes, may be relevant :)

My family has never said one supportive word about my playing music in general. I am the only member of my family who has any...
Page 1 of 2 1 2