Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: String heights above the pickups?

Pickups generally have an adjustment screw at each end to raise and lower the pickup. Some have individual adjustments for each string. Assuming yours has the screws at eachend ... adjust tone...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this really worth $70k?

As to the other part of your question ... yes all kinds of mandolinists play instruments of that and much higher value ($150,000) at concerts and festivals on a regular basis. Players like Chris...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Set up question- intonation on the D string

As a second thought are you sure the saddle was on the bridge base oriented properly. There are some threads showing proper orientation of he saddle. Sometimes causes problems like yours. I should...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Set up question- intonation on the D string

Put a capo on 1st fret. Tune up for Ab,Eb,Bb and F low to high strings. Is intonation OK now? then the problem is in the nut. Maybe the D strings not noting at the front edge of the nut, maybe...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Early flatiron mandolin prices rise help?

I think it depends for the Flatiron on that magic date of when Gibson purchased the Flatiron company. The original Flatirons signed by Carlson have a much higher desirability (is that a word) then...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Please help! Fixing my pick direction

I has a similar problem then had lessons from John Reischman, he suggested.. tap toe to the beat, pretend your pick is tied to your toe... Toe goes down pick goes down.. toe come up pick comes up. Do...
  7. Thread: Beware EVOs

by rockies
    Replies
    Views

Re: Beware EVOs

My Heiden A-41 required fret work a year ago so Michael installed EVO on it. Same sweet, balanced, loud tone as before. I believe Michael said he uses EVO on all his new builds. I'm totally satisfied...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: cites rules on older instruments

I just phoned my 2 friends who I usually get to the States with or they go on their own. Doug was down to Utah in Feb/Mar and Bud was to 3 places in WA. We've been doing festivals etc for at least 20...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: cites rules on older instruments

Remember the op is looking into sending or bringing the vintage instrument to Canada. We do NOT have a ban on all rosewoods as does the USA. Our only ban is on the Brazilian rosewood as per CITES....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Influences

I had just started playing a mandolin (about 3 months) and my friend who played mandolin suggested I go to a workshop (1 week) and learn to play. So he booked me in to the workshop in Sorrento BC. On...
  11. Re: Open chords vs closed chords for chops n chucks

Also watch Sierra Hull along with Chris Thile in videos, as well as a lot of other players. Most use both types of chops, which ever gives the tonal, chunk sound that each tune needs based on their...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Rawhide pick stroke advice sought

Well, if you use downstrokes the pick has to come up to make the next downstroke so you are still using the steady dududud etc. And if you are using the upstroke the pick has to go down to make the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Shellac flakes, which alcohol?

I've used Everclear for shellac many times and it works great. Just remember to filter it through something after it's dissolved. I use parts of a well worn old white T-shirt. I believe Michael...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Fuzzy notes on the g string

Hi, I don't think Phil was suggesting to deepen your slots but to make sure they are sloped slightly towards the tailpiece so the strings come off the bridge at the fretboard side so they don't...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Is $350 a good price for a Heiden?

I was down to Michael's on Monday to drop off my guitar, some nice things happening in his shop for some lucky clients. I emailed Michael just now and he says he made quite a few dulcimers in the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Michael Heiden

Well I'm off to Michael's on Monday morning (Oct 1), taking the new guitar down. Michael is going to reshape the neck a little for me. I've been playing it every day and love it, so hate to ne...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Michael Heiden

Beautiful, mandolins, I probably saw some under constructon as Michael is only over an hour away from me. I was down about 3 weeks ago I had my A-41 refretted with EVO and setup, ounds and plays...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning machine repair

I think your idea will work, I've repaired similar problems. What I did was support the tuners well and use a small clamp to hold it in position aginst o firm backing (small vise). However instead of...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Heiden string choices

I was down at Michael's on Saturday and got my A back. I had it refretted and large dots put in sude of fretboard to help my viaion. Michael uses J74's in his mandolins. However I did have him put...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Shure 57 repair question

JImKo, you said you have a multimeter so check for continuity between pins 2 and 3 on the XLR connector, should be low ohms. Check at same time that the XLR connector is not moving up into the body,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Why keys of B and B flat?

I don't know if my observations when listening to the Monroe's and other traditional bluegrass bands (old and new). Though it seems to me those keys seem to be chosen more for the upper range of the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Does anybody here play a uke bass?

Yes I do play onhe and love it, easy on my almost 80 year old fingers and so responsive. I use an Ampeg BA112 and it sounds really good. I do use a pick (plectrum) instead of fingers as I'm much...
  23. Thread: Onboard Preamp

by rockies
    Replies
    Views

Re: Onboard Preamp

Kenny, I've used tha Artec ME-2 preamp made for mandolins with the K&K internal pickup in about 20 or so mandolins when I had my shop. I use it in my own mandolin in the band I play in. I just did...
  24. Thread: Set back

by rockies
    Replies
    Views

Re: Set back

So sorry to hear that ... however in a positive light.. think Sam Bush, playing with a movement restricted wrist didn't seem to hurt his playing a lot. He adapted around the handicap, and if you have...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Fossilized Mammoth Ivory

I have used mammoth ivory for nuts and saddles, just to be different, I see no advantage in it. However for your knowledge, mammoth ivory is NOT a fossil, NOT mislabeled elephant ivory, it is mined...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4