Search:

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Coombe #305

Eric, your's is 2nd generation, but made from the same woods. Some sound clips, with a decent micrphone -

http://petercoombe.com/Pictures/for-sale/Mandolin305/Lord-Inchquin.mp3
  2. Re: The latest Magic from Lake Gnotuk (Australia)

Look and yearn is all I can afford to do.

I don't know exactly where SG's workshop is, but my father's cousin had a farm on the western slopes of Gnotuk (the lake's in the crater of a dormant...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Silverangel

In a recent jam, an accomplished player complemented the sound of my Silverangel. He played it for a few minutes and I had a rare chance to hear it being well played while I faced it. Sounded...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Where did you find your last mando?

I'm done looking for mandos. The next one can get off its backside and find me.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Halsey's last F-5

Here’s some photos of Bill’s violin.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Quality control on Waverly tuners

Do any of you grumpy old geezers actually use them for tuning your mandolin or just yelling at kidz to get off your lawn?

If you are not satisfied with the Waverly, then buy from Nicolo Alessi.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F2 and F4 mandolins.

You'll often hear negative comparisons of old A's/F2s and F4s to old Gibson F5s, but really, most of the F-5 players just don't know how to handle a Gibson roundhole. (There can be differences in the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

However, there are a great many duds out there. If you're not well educated about violins, evaluating a thrift shop violin with three ancient strings and no bow is nearly impossible. I once got quite...
  9. Replies
    Views

Mandolin world vs fiddle world

After two years of immersion in the mandolin world, this past six months I’ve been reacquainting myself with banjo and fiddle. Here are some observations about the mandolin world vs the fiddle world:...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: TablEdit is back!

My thanks to Larry for the work he's done over the years maintaining this remarkable resource and for his exceptional programming skills in creating this. Dan set up access for this on the server a...
  11. Re: Where did the tab edit files on Mandozine go?

We are bringing back the TablEdit files. Here is the link:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/te/

Larry
  12. Re: Where did the tab edit files on Mandozine go?

I have put a zipped folder, called "mandozine-TEFs.zip" onto my Google drive. It is accessable at https://drive.google.com/file/d/19CO4lfkG1ZlbdXVT384ElsRSw1d8Luot/view?usp=sharing . It contains all...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to start with Jazz Mandolin?

Did someone say "I'm Beginning To See The Light?" :cool:

XY0s7upMVo8

Sorry about the wind noise. :whistling:
  14. Re: F model oval holes: Northfieod F2S, Collings MFO, Gibson F2 a

step 1: Where do you want the neck joint?
    step 2: You okay with an integrated fretboard?

if the answers are 12 and sure!, then go F2 or F4. If the answers are 14/15 and no, then you'd pretty...
  15. Replies
    Views

Bing and Satchmo might be able to get you going ... :cool: Soon you'll be able to say, now you has jazz. :cool: Just simplify. ;)

FF2xTrTtkcA
  16. Replies
    Views

Stolen mandolin recovered!

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a very happy story with you, and it's really only happy because of the help of this wonderful community here on Mandolin Cafe!

Earlier last year our shop was...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 404Bk Mandolin review

I believe Gary's #12 was a plain A2, not to be confused with your former A2-z (#20) that I housesat for a while.

I'm guessing that my Gibson has a birch back, and I know that my Poe Scout...
  18. Replies
    Views

Since most old Gibson As vary in sound one from another, the Eastman MD-404 fits right in the family, kind of like a double first cousin. I've owned a MD-504, a MD-514, a Gibson A, an A-4, and...
  19. Replies
    Views

Thanks, that worked.
    A nice review. It looks and sounds great. I look forward to seeing and hearing your A2 build.

Are you going to scoop the extension over the 404’s sound hole?
  20. Replies
    Views

Why did they make coloured top mandolins - was it originally a way to use wood that sounded great but didn't look quite so good (like the stories about plain colour LesPauls being cleaned off to find...
  21. Replies
    Views

Hello Nick, very interesting. I'm looking for a Gibson A Snakehead or a substitute with a similar sound. Do you have the possibility to compare the two?

Looking forward to a sound demo. Please...
  22. Eastman MD 305 unbox - thanks all, I'm a satisfied customer.

I just released my new Eastman MD305 from Covid19 isolation, tuned it up, and had a plunk for an hour or so. I'm completely happy with it, which doesn't happen with many of the many musical...
  23. Replies
    Views

re-reading the original post I see the poster was asking for suggestions of tunes, and coming from a flat-pick fiddle backround. So here comes a bunch of that. Not to suggest that the book and...
  24. The Girl from Ipanema, for solo mandola (or mandolin)

I am not primarily a jazz player so I don't post in this section of the Cafe, but I thought this might be of interest to people here. It is a solo arrangement of "The Girl from Ipanema," originally...
  25. Re: Any modern(cheaper) mandolins with a Gibson model A 1924 soun

I'm a lover of oval holed mandos, particularly old Gibsons. The first imprint itself on me was was a 1917 F-2. It was perfect tonally. Next was an Old Wave A that sounded great except for a...
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4